Horrible Buzzing From Inside BDP After loading Burnt DVD

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I've just downloaded and burnt a copy of the AVS HD 709 calibration disc from here, and when it loads on my BDP there is a horrible whine followed by a dreadful buzzing noise as though something is damaged - or being damaged - inside the player.

Now it displays on screen just fine, and I've loaded 3 seperate movie discs afterwards without incident, so anyone any ideas as to why a burnt DVD would have this effect? *worried*

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that BB.

This is the first DVD I've ever burnt so I'm a total novice I'm afraid! I've re-loaded it several times with the same result, and even if it may be nothing to worry about the sheer noise makes it unuseable. Forgive my ignorance, but would perhaps a different brand of DVD be worth a shot? Thanks.

Yes, changing the brand of the DVD disc may help, as it's often a defect in the manufacturing process. Also, some DVDs have large stickers stuck on them which again can make them unbalanced. Maybe buying DVDs without any stickers on are better.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I used to use TDK or Maxell CDs. The ones that came in full size jewel cases in packs of 10.

Even now (some 5 years on) they are still perfectly playable. (Albeit redundant now.)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks again BB.

Have since tried another Verbatim disc (part of a batch from years ago, neither have stickers on) with exactly the same result. I'll try some cheapos from tescos later and see how they get on.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I've always bought verbatim and never had a problem, but could be a bad batch.

I have two batches Ben.

Bought a spindle for my PC about 3-months ago, and the other batch is from several years ago for my DVD recorder so seems a bit too much of a coincidence for that. I have noted, though, that these discs are quite a bit sturdier than your typical DVD movie disc so perhaps it's just a case that my particular BDP doesn't like them. No big deal, though; thought I'd give this calibration download disc a go before ordering a copy of DVE to see how it fared. Hopefully the cheap Tesco discs might work!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Certainly sounds like the player doesn't like that brand for some reason, let us know if the alternative works ok.

Well weird.

Got my tesco cheapies with exactly the same result, although the buzzing sound is a bit different! Never burnt a DVD before and not likely to again but it's a bit disappointing nevertheless. I notice you have the same player so there's obviuosly something wrong with mine, but beyond me whatever it is! Oh well, at least normal movie discs play just fine

EDIT: Now this is something out of the X Files.

Just popped a Verbatim CD-R with a ripped CD on it and perfect. Now this is really doing my head in! lol :wall:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if I've actually played a burned disc on the Sony rather than the panny, I'll try and have a go tomorrow and see what happens.

I've just looked at the link you posted and I wonder if there is some sort of compatibility issue. Is it a DVD rather than blu ray burner you're using? If so there is some technical info re file formats on that link which might mean there's a problem - they're certainly not standard formats. The fact your player is happy with a standard recorded cd format maybe supports that.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well the player should be compatible having checked elsewhere and I do have the latest software installed.Anyway, I've only very recently dug my DVD recorder out after a couple of years and I don't know why I never thought to do this before, but recorded a programme on it this morning and played it through the BDP just fine! All the images etc were just fine on the download, but it gave out this horrible buzzing - almost grinding - sound from the player which was very worrying. Not a problem, though, as at least I know my player is fine.

Hi Ben.

Well the player should be compatible with the AVCHD format having checked elsewhere and I do have the latest software installed. Anyway, I've only very recently dug my DVD recorder out after a couple of years and I don't know why I never thought to do this before :doh: , but recorded a programme on it this morning and played it through the BDP just fine! All the images etc were fine on the download, but it gave out this horrible buzzing - almost grinding - sound from the player which was very worrying. Not a problem, though, as it's obviously only a compatability issue and at least I know my player is okay. Thanks again for your comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts