Hoopsontoast

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am very happy with my amplifier/s but am curious about the T-amp as used by yourself and others. Problem is there are quite a few different versions on ebay including some newer 'high power' ones which double the puny 5 watts or so with reasonable distortion, probably handy.

You have previously stated you preferred yours to quite a few conventional ones. Which one would you recommend? - A headphone out would be handy but not really essential and have you tried one with an external phono stage?

Thanks & regards

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Amptastic are supposed to be working on a new model with lots of improvments but all has been a bit quiet on that front for a while, I have the last version which is very good.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
You called? :rofl:

I have only had the two 'T-Amps' which both were based on the Tripath TA2020 chip. The previous was an Amptastic model, and my current one is a Muse M20. They both have the standard PSU.

The TA2020 is around 8wpc/8ohms (0.1% THD Distortion) and goes up very quickly to around 1% at ~10wpc output and 10% at ~13wpc output. So they really are best kept in their comfort zone.

I think there is a lot of hype regarding 'T-Amps'. I really like them but you have to take in to account the price. They are Brilliant for a new amplifier ~£50, and thats it really. They are cheap, mine is used as a backup amplifier, they are so small and run cool I really cant find anything to fault about them other than some have a stupid bright LED for some reason.

I have read good things about the larger ones, which are supposed to be very different beasts like the Topping TP60 TA2022 based ones for example.

I would avoid any chinese import ones generally and only buy from a proper UK source. The Amptastic and Temple Audio Bantam Classic (TA2024 based IIRC) are both Tripath based and UK built.

I used the Amptastic TA2020 well with a variety of speakers, two being the 80dB ATC SCM10 and Keesonic Kolt in a small room, and for a study/bedroom system with more 'normal' it would be hard to beat unless you needed high volumes. That particular T-Amp sounded better in my little room at the time than my other favourite amp, the Sony 770ES (although for anything other than low/medium volumes, there was no contest) and a few others including the Rega Brio3, Sony TA-FA448E, Arcam AVR200 and the Temple Audio Bantam Gold (similar but not a Tripath based amp). In that room, I ended up with a Sony TA-F670ES mainly as it has a cracking phonostage.

So thats it really, they are so cheap you can just get one and see how you get on, dont expect the world and you may well be supprised.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Think of a Tripath amp as a poor man's SET valve amp. No real power, very little bass grip, and a nice clean midrange.

The biggest problem is speakers. T amps sound like crap with almost any speaker I tested EXCEPT my Fostex single-driver speakers. You want to look for an ultra lightweight cone, sensitivity at 90db+, and transparent midrange. With this kind of speaker load, you'll see what all the fuss is about - a really nice stereo image, light, airy midrange, and great dynamics.

But even fairly efficient 'normal' speakers like Boston A25s...forget it. You've got about one good watt with the TA2020 chip - if you find speakers that can do a lot with that, then the sound quality is really surprising.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I would agree with Gator. I have two pairs of budget speakers I tried with my Mini-T, first a pair of B&W 602 which are quite a large stand mount which are ported and 90db, with in normal listening volumes they sounded very good, perhaps a little fatiguing over long periods with a slightly sibilant top end but impressive for the price. People often say T-Amps don’t go loud, frankly this is rubbish, they do go loud it is just they lose grip and so sound bad as soon as you push them too hard, within a normal listening level on sensitive speakers they do a fine job for the money. I’m not sure I could live with it as a main amp but as back up it is good to have.

I also tried on some small, less efficient Mission bookshelf speakers and it was an awful experience.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I 'could' live with my little TA2020 along with the rest of the kit I have at the moment but I suspect that the Decware will be a lot better going by my past experience with a previous model.

That is with very easy to drive speakers, full-range driver (damped impedance peak at FS and all above 6 Ohms) and around 93dB/1w.

Its not perfect but I picked the amp up for £20 and its only the 'hifi' stuff I will be improving on, like soundstage, dynamics etc as it has more than enough power for my listening in my room. The Decware measures even worse, something like 3% Distortion @2.83v but then that is mainly 2nd Harmonic which is a common trait of SET amps. Subjectively it sounds brilliant.

Neither the TA2020 or Decware will bend the walls with earth shattering bass but then thtas not what I am after.

TRENDING THREADS