Home Speakers up to 300 EUR (250 GBP)

Hello everyone,

I know completely nothing about speakers and thus would like to know opinions of experienced users. I used to like (tolerate) sound of regular, cheap spekaers until I heard 2000 EUR Klipsch speakers of my friend. I realize that 300 EUR isn't a very impressive budget (after I saw prices of real good speakers) but that's what I need to start with.
I'm looking for either shelf or floor speakers that would have as clear sound and as strong bass as the price enables. I would use them for both music and TV/movies.

What is also quite important is the fact that 300 EUR is my total budget so I guess I should look at so-called 'active' speakers so there is no need for an amplifier anymore.

I would be supergrateful for any advice.
Thank you
Ewa

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
hybridauth_google_115643989347335955493 said:
Hello everyone,

I know completely nothing about speakers and thus would like to know opinions of experienced users. I used to like (tolerate) sound of regular, cheap spekaers until I heard 2000 EUR Klipsch speakers of my friend. I realize that 300 EUR isn't a very impressive budget (after I saw prices of real good speakers) but that's what I need to start with.I'm looking for either shelf or floor speakers that would have as clear sound and as strong bass as the price enables. I would use them for both music and TV/movies.

What is also quite important is the fact that 300 EUR is my total budget so I guess I should look at so-called 'active' speakers so there is no need for an amplifier anymore.

I would be supergrateful for any advice.Thank youEwa

Hi........*bye*

It would help if you were to tell us what your source components are, is it just a computer or tablet or maybe a CD/DVD player. Thats quite important.

Also, where are you based, at the budget end of the market this can make a lot of difference as what is available in one market for a sensible price may be expensive elsewhere.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
hybridauth_google_115643989347335955493 ??

Where did that bit come from dave?

Good point about what source etc. The size of room you are going to be using these speakers in might also help Ewa.

God knows.....*unknw*

Some of the coding on this site has a life of it's own, doesn't bother me that much other that the fact that trying to include a picture and a couple of links seems to trigger the spam filter.

You go out of your way to do a bit of research to help someone out and you can't post the results, nonsense.

Davedotco, thank you for your reply! The source would be either my laptop or Iphone or TV. I dont use a CD/DVD player.
I live in the Netherlands. After I search the forum I found speakers that were recommended to another 'budget speakers seaker':

ESI Aktiv 08

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/aktiv08/

Would you also recommend those? Or do you have some other ideas?

Thanks
Ewa

Size of my living room area (where I would place the speakers) is around 25-30 m2

[/quote]

Thanks Ewa.

That is quite a small speaker to use in that size of room but unless you play music very loudly it should be fine, although I have not heard it (or indeed that manufacturer) before.

I see they retail at about 120 euro each so they should fit into your budget.

Perhaps someone else on the forum can help you further.

I have just re-read the information on those speakers and although the are active there is no way you can connect either a computer or the iphone directly to them.

You will need to go through a DAC of some sort I believe.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
I have just re-read the information on those speakers and although the are active there is no way you can connect either a computer or the iphone directly to them.

You are sort of correct.

Of course you can simply use the headphone output on each of the sources but this is far from ideal.

This brings us to the nub of the matter when we come to 'studio style' active monitors. They are essentially single input devices that need to be 'controlled'. In a simple computer based setup, this can be done by the software player, either hard wired or via Airplay.

My system works exactly like this, iPad > AEX > Active speakers. Works quite beautifully but it is difficult to use more than one source thar isn't Airplay capable.

Ideally you would have a nice remote control dac/preamp to control everything, but for some reason these are stupid money so you need to find a way round this.

Using an AEX to drive the ESI speakers will of course work with the iPhone and, if it has Airplay, the laptop too but it is more difficult to get the TV to play through the speakers without unplugging switching cables, not ideal.

The cheapest setup that I can think of that is 'plug and play' is the Audio Engine A5, ideally with an AEX. Basic functionality with input switching and volume from the included remote. Prices vary but it should be at the very top end of your budget.

The real solution, at a price, is to pair up the ESI monitors with a Marantz NR1504 AV reciever. Forget the onboard amps, use the pre-outs to drive the speakers. All the switching and functionality you could ever need, Airplay, network capability, TV audio and video switching, the whole 9 yards.

Sadly you are looking at double the original budget, but this system will do everything.......!

BTW You can save a little money by checking out the ESI Unik 08, a better version of the Active 08 with ribbon tweeter and nicer finish. It's being run out by stores like Music Store in Germany and DV247 in the UK, shade over £200pr.

davedotco said:
Al ears said:

You are sort of correct.

Of course you can simply use the headphone output on each of the sources but this is far from ideal.

This brings us to the nub of the matter when we come to 'studio style' active monitors. They are essentially single input devices that need to be 'controlled'. In a simple computer based setup, this can be done by the software player, either hard wired or via Airplay.

My system works exactly like this, iPad > AEX > Active speakers. Works quite beautifully but it is difficult to use more than one source thar isn't Airplay capable.

Ideally you would have a nice remote control dac/preamp to control everything, but for some reason these are stupid money so you need to find a way round this.

Using an AEX to drive the ESI speakers will of course work with the iPhone and, if it has Airplay, the laptop too but it is more difficult to get the TV to play through the speakers without unplugging switching cables, not ideal.

The cheapest setup that I can think of that is 'plug and play' is the Audio Engine A5, ideally with an AEX. Basic functionality with input switching and volume from the included remote. Prices vary but it should be at the very top end of your budget.

The real solution, at a price, is to pair up the ESI monitors with a Marantz NR1504 AV reciever. Forget the onboard amps, use the pre-outs to drive the speakers. All the switching and functionality you could ever need, Airplay, network capability, TV audio and video switching, the whole 9 yards.

Sadly you are looking at double the original budget, but this system will do everything.......!

BTW You can save a little money by checking out the ESI Unik 08, a better version of the Active 08 with ribbon tweeter and nicer finish. It's being run out by stores like Music Store in Germany and DV247 in the UK, shade over £200pr.

You sure about that pricing Dave? I can only see them for around £156 each. Having said that they do look the more desirable of the two.

Splash

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
300 EUR is very little if you want decent quality sound but is definitely doable.

If it were me spending the money I'd be looking at something along these lines:

1. A pair of Q Acoustics 2020i speakers. A quick search via Google NL shows they can be bought for 145 EUR - http://hificorner.nl/speakers/boekenplank/q-acoustics-2020i-walnoot). These are excellent speakers.

2. A decent budget amplifier from a reputable brand such as Marantz, Yamaha, Denon etc. As an example the Marantz PM5004 can be purchased for 185 EUR from the same website (http://hificorner.nl/catalogsearch/result/?q=Marantz+PM5004) which seems like a good deal.

Okay, it does take you slightly over budget but hopefully gives you an idea of what is achievable.

If you definitely cannot go even slightly over budget then the Q Acoustics 2010i are only 95 EUR which leaves more for an amplifier.

For now, you could attach your laptop or iPhone to the amplifier with a basic 3.5mm to RCA cable, and if your TV has RCA outputs then that would also be helpful for connecting directly to the amp. Once you have more funds you could attach a bluetooth receiver or a decent DAC to the amplifier for digital inputs, then perhaps a decent sub-woofer for more low-end grunt at an even later date.

Good luck!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Splash said:
300 EUR is very little if you want decent quality sound but is definitely doable.

1. A pair of Q Acoustics 2020i speakers. A quick search via Google NL shows they can be bought for 145 EUR - http://hificorner.nl/speakers/boekenplank/q-acoustics-2020i-walnoot). These are excellent speakers.

2. A decent budget amplifier from a reputable brand such as Marantz, Yamaha, Denon etc. As an example the Marantz PM5004 can be purchased for 185 EUR from the same website (http://hificorner.nl/catalogsearch/result/?q=Marantz+PM5004) which seems like a good deal.

Okay, it does take you slightly over budget but hopefully gives you an idea of what is achievable.

If you definitely cannot go even slightly over budget then the Q Acoustics 2010i are only 95 EUR which leaves more for an amplifier.

For now, you could attach your laptop or iPhone to the amplifier with a basic 3.5mm to RCA cable, and if your TV has RCA outputs then that would also be helpful for connecting directly to the amp. Once you have more funds you could attach a bluetooth receiver or a decent DAC to the amplifier for digital inputs, then perhaps a decent sub-woofer for more low-end grunt at an even later date.

Good luck!

Good post.

A very nice summation of just what can be done for not much money, you may still need a dac though. (Edit, as you said)

Would not be my choice, but guess what, it isn't my choice, so check it out.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Splash said:

145 EUR per speaker that is... Ewa might prefer stereo. In that case she has 10 EUR left for the amp...

Splash said:

That's also 95 EUR a piece...

No, actives is the way to go here, be it with some compromises. Have a look at the Bax webshop. These Reloop Wave 5s might be the ticket: active speakers, with a wired remote for volume and source selection, at €299 (though frankly, not a clue what they sound like...). And you would need to use the internal DAC in your phone etc. Compromises, like I said...

EDIT: then save on a little, and add an Apple Airport Express (for €90) and you can stream your phone's music wirelessly to the speakers...

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Also a bit over budget, but the Q Acoustics BT3 have it all: powered, DAC (with digital and analogue inputs), remote control, and bluetooth streaming. I have a pair connected to the TV and can say that they are also extremelly pleasant for music. Bass extension is not the greatest but what they do, they do well—this also applies to the 2010 and 2020.

Splash

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Splash said:

145 EUR per speaker that is... Ewa might prefer stereo. In that case she has 10 EUR left for the amp...

Splash said:

That's also 95 EUR a piece...

No, actives is the way to go here, be it with some compromises. Have a look at the Bax webshop. These Reloop Wave 5s might be the ticket: active speakers, with a wired remote for volume and source selection, at €299 (though frankly, not a clue what they sound like...). And you would need to use the internal DAC in your phone etc. Compromises, like I said...

EDIT: then save on a little, and add an Apple Airport Express (for €90) and you can stream your phone's music wirelessly to the speakers...

I thought that looked pretty cheap for a pair of 2020is! Thanks for clearing that up.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Splash said:

Good luck!

That is precisely what i would do, a cheap option which would sound pretty good

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Some other options:

1/ These Tannoy Reveal 502s look like excellent value for money. The package comes with an external volume control too. And easily within budget.

2/ But if you can stretch your budget just a little, up to €340, I wouldn't hesitate over these Adam Artist 3s, B-stock, but with full waranty and less than 50% of the recommended retail price... Your boyfriend might get jealous when he hears them *diablo*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
There are plenty of powered or active systems that are available within budget, that really is not a problem.

The problem is the functionality, volume control, input selection etc, most of the studio active types have no input switching and no sensible volume control.

The two best 'all in one' solutions are the Audio Engine A5+ or the Reloop Wave 5. Both are powered rather than active, have two or three inputs and volume, remote controlled on the Audio Engine. The cost of either is a shade over £300.

Personally I think that what you get for the money is ok rather than good, but simply does not begin to compare with the Marantz/ESI Unik08 system mentioned above. When you compare the two and see what you get for the extra £150 it really is a no brainer.

I understand that you may want to stick to your budget, thats fair enough. In that case I would simplify my reqirements and get a pair of Unik 08 and an AEX, stream everything from the iPhone. (laptop too if it has Airplay)

Splash

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
You've gotta admit though that some of those nearfield monitors look like they only belong in a working studio and not a living room. My wife would never settle for such 'functional' looking speakers :).

I still think 185 EUR for that Marantz PM5004 amp is a bargain. I would buy the amp and leave it boxed up for a month or two whilst saving up for (a pair!) of decent standmount speakers like Q Acoustics 2010i / 2020i or Boston Acoustics A26. Then I'd perhaps buy a FiiO D3 dac or cheap Bluetooth receiver depending on priority. I'd end up with a good looking, great sounding little system which looks like it belongs in a living room and can be controlled with a wireless remote from the sofa.

... But that's just me.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Everyone has their own priorities.

In the opening post the OP refers to hearing some £2000 Klipsch speakers and wants "as strong bass as the price enables".

A pair of small bookshelf speakers powered by a budget amplifier are not remotely going to 'do scale' or produce a 'strong bass', in fact they are going to sound tiny in comparison.

Using the ESI Unik 08s will make a decent stab at these requirements, for less than €250 euros. The big 8 inch woofer is driven by a dedicated 60 watt amplifier, a separate 30 watts for the tweeter. The scale and power of these speakers is on an entirely different level from conventional passives (or any powered 'desktop' speakers for that matter) at this price point, not the most refined perhaps but at their current price, outstanding value.

Initially the speaker can simply be driven by the headphone socket on each device, or as suggested above, used wirelessly with an AEX or via a cheap usb dac from the laptop. Down the line a dac/preamp can be added once the real requirements are better known.

rainsoothe

unsleepable said:
Also a bit over budget, but the Q Acoustics BT3 have it all: powered, DAC (with digital and analogue inputs), remote control, and bluetooth streaming. I have a pair connected to the TV and can say that they are also extremelly pleasant for music. Bass extension is not the greatest but what they do, they do well—this also applies to the 2010 and 2020.

+1 for this - they seem to be exactly what you're looking for - good sound, a lot of features and... close enough to your budget? the orange ones also look pretty smart to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts