Home hub 5 losing wifi connection

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello. After nearly 3 months of being installed my bt hh5 has begun to lose wifi connection.

I have had a bt engineer out as one evening the speed was terrible. He has checked the line and it is where it should be- 25mB.

Sometimes, only in the last week my hub just drops out, I am browsing on iPad and will lose connection. So go to settings and have to reconnect to the hub??

The engineer stated that it was picking up "interference" from something in the house and asked if anything had "changed in the house since the problem arose?"

Has anyone else had problems like this??

How did you get it resolved??

I haven't gone back to the call centre yet as I want to load myself with information 1st.

Thanks

John

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I have left mine on the default auto settings.. I know my neighbour runs a hh on auto settings also. I have read a fair bit about people hooking up routers to the home hub.

Beginning to wonder if my devolo 500 wifi in another room is perhaps upsetting the hh. Will need to do some further testing though..

john

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
If you go to bthomehub.home on your Internet browser, you can refresh the wifi channel so the router looks for the best channel automatically.

Had a look in the settings. Refreshed the channel. There doesn't seem to be a way of seeing the strength of the wifi channel though. Switched back to the auto function.

The bt help section seems to deal more with line connection than wifi connection.

John

daveh75

bigboss said:
If you go to bthomehub.home on your Internet browser, you can refresh the wifi channel so the router looks for the best channel automatically.

In theory.

The reality is auto selection never works well (at least ime). Much better to do a sweep with WiFi analyser like suggested by Michael and find the least congested non-overlapping channel.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that. The help page did suggest which channels to try 1st... So I will give them a spin and see.

Which routers were you thinking of trying BB??

if this all falls down. Was thinking about an AirPort Extreme base station. Based upon my healthy crop of apple products??

however I will try other ways 1st

john

daveh75

john1000000boy said:
if this all falls down. Was thinking about an AirPort Extreme base station. Based upon my healthy crop of apple products??

You can get much better performing/full featured routers for less money than an the Airport Extreme (like the Asus' BB mentions) so I wouldn't base your decision on the fact you have other Apple kit..

Plus if you didn't get the BT OR modem (because BT are phasing them out/moving to self install, and why the HH5 has an integrated VDSL modem) when you had FTTC installed then you'll need one to use the Airport Extreme, or continue to use HH as a router and just use the extreme as an wireless AP.

Wuss

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I was having similar issues with my Virgin superhub. I downloaded an app called "WiFi Analyzer" which gives a nice display of what channels all the wi-fi arround my house were using. I then picked a channel that was unused for my hub and everything started working fine. HTH.

TRENDING THREADS