Home Cinema - Quick Questions

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello forum. I'm trying to set up a home cinema system, need a little advice.

Currently using Yamaha DSP-E800 processor (centre channel, rears and sub) and connection to Arcam Alpha 8R/8P biamp setup for conventional stereo hi-fi. Mission 752F fronts, Mission 75C centre, Mission 77DS rears, Paradigm sub.

Also have a Digihome 40" LCD television.

Sky HD works well. Picture to TV via HDMI lead, nice. Audio into Yamaha via TOSLINK, nice.

But...remote control on Yamaha isn't working properly, don't seem to be able to find a replacement remote. Could buy a whole new unit but I'm not sure if that would be wise & maybe I should invest in something more modern.

Also - if I want to watch something on my laptop on the TV I can connect via HDMI but then the sound needs to go from the Yamaha via the S/PDIF output on the back of the TV and a coaxial lead. For some reason though this doesn't seem to be working properly - there's a "Digital" indicator on the Yamaha's display but it doesn't light up (whereas it does with the TOSLINK connection from the Sky box) and Dolby Digital doesn't work - I only see Dolby Pro Logic. So I'm not sure how I can play anything from my laptop which has Dolby Digital/DTS sound because I don't have a way of getting it into the Yamaha processor.

Or is there some way of "splitting" HDMI output from the laptop so that the picture goes to the telly and some kind of HDMI/TOSLINK adapter sends the sound to the Yamaha? Do such things exist?

What would be the best course of action (my budget is limited)? Would I be better off ditching the Yamaha and buying a more modern processor which has HDMI inputs? If so, can anyone recommend a good budget option for something like this please?

Thanks,

Alan.

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Richer Sounds seem to have a few Yamaha RX-V375s at £150 each - tempted to snap one of these up if I can find one. Will (mostly) fund by selling Arcam Alpha 8P power amp. Very restricted re: volume levels (recently moved into a flat, lots of nearby neighbours), don't think I get much benefit form biamping really.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello Alan!

bigalxyz said:
Also - if I want to watch something on my laptop on the TV I can connect via HDMI but then the sound needs to go from the Yamaha via the S/PDIF output on the back of the TV and a coaxial lead. For some reason though this doesn't seem to be working properly - there's a "Digital" indicator on the Yamaha's display but it doesn't light up (whereas it does with the TOSLINK connection from the Sky box) and Dolby Digital doesn't work - I only see Dolby Pro Logic.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, however TVs aren't allowed to output Dolby Digital signals (for "reasons" of copyright), merely one downmixed to stereo.

bigalxyz said:
Or is there some way of "splitting" HDMI output from the laptop so that the picture goes to the telly and some kind of HDMI/TOSLINK adapter sends the sound to the Yamaha? Do such things exist?

You could connect both units with an optical digital cable, provided your laptop's got a mini-Toslink jack (mostly that's one that doubles as "headphones out" or "line out").

bigalxyz said:
Bought one!

Certainly a good unit, especially for the price, however you won't be able to do a straight replacement of your E800, as the new amp does not have the analogue outputs, rendering your Arcams redundant. So whilst you'd certainly get great lossless movie sound from blu-ray (if you have any - you don't say), you might (or might not) find stereo performance lacking, and if you don't have any lossless audio to process, a new amp may be somewhat overkill (since probably all you'd actually just need is another cable, as above).

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hmmmm........

Had a look on Yamaha website - picture on the back seems to have various audio red/white RCA sockets. Had assumed these could be used as audio out to send to Arcam 8R. Have I made a boo-boo? I dare say I could call them first thing in the morning and cancel the order if need be...

Thanks for the info.

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
On the other hand, given that I can't really play anything very loudly (to avoid annoying my neighbours), perhaps I'd be just as happy with the sound quality of the Yamaha amp for the main fronts, in which case I could sell the Arcams. Dunno. Probably a compromise in terms of sound quality for playing music, but one that I might not notice in practice given current circumstances.

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Ha ha ha ha...they've just emailed me and said "sorry, we don't have this item in stock any more so we can't supply it." Fate!

Grateful for any other suggestions in the £200 ish price range.

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Did you have a look at your laptop's output sockets?

bigalxyz said:
Ha ha ha ha...they've just emailed me and said "sorry, we don't have this item in stock any more so we can't supply it." Fate!

Grateful for any other suggestions in the £200 ish price range.

Thanks!

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
7760 said:
Did you have a look at your laptop's output sockets?

I did - there's an HDMI socket and a good old headphone socket, and the usual array of USB/ethernet connections. No dedicated digital audio out though.

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Checked detailed spec for laptop and there's no sign of it being one of those, just an old skool 3.5mm headphone socket unfortunately.

However there seem to be various USB to TOSLINK devices around for getting 5.1 etc. out of the laptop - presumably that would solve the problem. Could then have audio lead to existing Yamaha processor and "Bob's Your Uncle"...?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts