Home Cinema newbie requires speaker advice please

Heds

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking into an entry level AVR and have settled on the Onkyo TX-NR414 as I do like my streaming music and the reviews look pretty good for this unit but I’m not sure which speakers to go for. I have a budget of around £200 for the speakers.

I currently have a pair of B&W 110i’s which are now quite long in the tooth but I like them and was wondering if these should remain as my main front pair, and if so do I buy a 5.1 package and leave two of them in the box or do I buy separate speakers and add them to the B&W’s?

I play a fair stack of music (techno/D&B so bass heavy) and will be plugging my record deck in to the amp with a pre amp and I’m not sure if the tiny speakers I see like the Tannoy SFX5.1 or the Cambridge Audio Lusso 20 5.1 (within my price range) would be up to the task.

The room is quite large 22” x 17” but I will need small rear speakers as my wife isn’t keen on huge boxes next to the sofa and yes I’ve bought her a spar day already but it didn’t help..

I'm also looking at the range of D-Line cable management to help tidy everything up. The house has stud walls but I don't fancy cutting into it just yet. Are there any other similar alternatives to D-Line?

Appreciate any advice and if I need to supply any further info please say.

Thank you.

EDIT: After more research I think it best to stick with my 110's and just add a centre speaker then upgrade the rears as and when. I think I should get enough bass from the main speakers and to be honest, we aren't looking for window rattling cinema bass, just a nice to listen to sound to complement the tv

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
With your speakers being of the vintage variety, you might struggle to find a centre that matches the sound of your existing speakers. I was lucky that the B&W HTM62 I bought fits in nicely with my older DM601's.

I'd definately try to get a demo using your current speakers to make sure you get something that wont unbalance the sound too much

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Heds

I have both D-line and ordinary electrical trunking in my room, D-line is more expensive but is neater. I searched online but could only find D-line. I used the ordinary white plastic trunking (from any DIY store) for the long runs to the rear speakers as it was cheaper. My equipment is not in our main living room otherwise I would have had to work harder to hide the cables.

Re your speakers - are you prepared to be patient? (if budget is tight). There will be a choice of 5.1 speaker set ups where the front speakers should give you an improvement over your current B & W's, and where the rears are apropriate for your room (on stands or wall mounted). Once you've demoed and chosen what you want, you could buy the centre and possibly the rears first, and then save to complete the setup at some point in the future. The speakers - especially the centre - might not immediately match your B&W's but in the longer run you wont be left wishing you could upgrade. This patient route may not be for you - but it is what I did - it has taken me just over a year to nearly complete the setup and I have no regrets about waiting.

Good luck, Jonathan

Heds

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I am willing to be patient, it's taken me two years to get round to buying an AVR so a bit longer won't make much difference.

After thinking about it, the 110's are old and large and I could perhaps do with something a little smaller. I think a trip down to a Richer Sounds demo room is in order.

Heds

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
In the end I went for a set of Q Acoustics 2020I's for the front and a 2000Ci for the centre and boy, you are right about speakers coming on over the years!

The difference is as clear as night and day and I have started to enjoy my music all over again. :dance:

Now, while I wait and save up for a pair of rear speakers, would it be daft to use the B&W's for this? I know they sound awful compared to the fronts and don't match, I'm assuming they won't be as loud as the fronts so could just sit there giving me a bit of surround sound or would this spoil the set up I have already?

Thanks for all your help so far.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Nice one Heds,

I did exactly the same as you are considering but used my 25 year old wharfedale speakers as surrounds until I saved enough for the BXFX's.

There were ok as a stop gap - it can't do any harm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts