Home cinema £5-7k budget (speakers and reciever budget only)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello! I am currently in the process of building my own home cinema in my newly acquired house. The room is 11x18ft and 7.80ft to the celing. I'm thinking of going for 7.2, but I can use this budget and start with 2.1. I want the speakers mostly for gaming and movies, but some of these qualities can be cut for more quality in the musical abilities of the speakers. My taste in music is classical, soundtracks, instrumentals, some female opera, a little rock and metal, but I'm really after the details in the classical more intricate types of instrumental music. I've been looking at the B&W CM9s (they look sexy!), with the CM2 center and maybe some SVS subs DS as rear speakers. I've also been looking at the JBL LS80 speaker package witch is offered at a hifi-store close by. Recievers to power these are Denon AVR-4311 for the B&W and for the JBL's the Pioneer LX-83. I've even been recommended Klipch RF83, Klipch rears and SVS subs. And now I'm just confused. Does anyone in here have some suggestions other than these considering my budget or can anyone back up these choices? Thanks for any feedback! And should also say I pretty new to the AV world. The home cinema room will have a front row of a 3 seater (center being the sweetspot) and an elevated backrow, main focus on the sound for the front row, but take some consideration for the back row if needed.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Akira, welcome to the forum

Music is obviously important to you, so it is wise to gear yourself up for music first and foremost. Firstly, I'd be thinking about how much power I'd want on tap. Average systems will fill average rooms at average levels comfortably, but if you want effortless music and reference level for movies, a fair amount of power will be needed. If this is the case, I'd be looking at something like the Marantz or Onkyo pre/processor and power amp combos - this may seem excessive, but people who set up their own cinema room tend to want to recreate the sound and feel of a cinema. I run an SCLX83, which is a little excessive for my room (about half the size of yours), but you need something that's a little too much so that the amp can comfortably do whatever it is you ask it to do, without a murmer or skipped beat. Also, with the sort of speakers you're looking to use, they're not going to be an easy load, they'll need some driving and controlling. These two pre/powers run in at about £3200 and £4000 respectively, so they're a sizeable chunk of the budget, but it doesn't matter how good the speaker package is if the heart of the system isn't performing well enough.

Our main AV demo room is about 5m squared, which won't be too dissimilar to the size of your room in area - we do find at reference level, that the pre/powers show much more composure than an integrated amplifier - and this sort of thing is even more detectable with music.

With these pre/powers, the world is your oyster as far as speakers are concerned - you can look at the likes of Monitor Audio Platinum and KEF Reference - but in this case, we don't quite have that budget, so let's scale things down a little. you could look at a lower model in the speaker range - like a stand mount speaker - to start out with initially (especially if a sub is being used from the off) and then relegate it to rear duties later on to replace it with something more suitable (if it lacks in any respect - if not, you can buy the same for front and back). You could take a look at the upcoming Monitor Audio GX range, and in particular the GX100 at £1250. The larger of the GX floorstanders would be the equivalents (driver size/capabilities etc) and would be the obvious choice. This is just one example, I think you'd have to pop along to a dealer to try out a few options and see what stirs your emotions.

Most of all, have fun - I know I would!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Akira

as its an home cinema project, I take it that the majority of use will be for watching movies and musical playback should be good also.

well what I certainly wouldn`t do is to go down the route of a speaker that has been designed for HIFI or music. What you need is a speaker that is primarily designed for home cinema use but also fantastic for music.

Movie watching demands a speaker with accuracy, attack and presence, coupled to a dam good subwoofer and driven with plenty of power, music lovers prefer something completely different and a good hifi speaker of whatever manufacturer will never out do a speaker specifically designed to do both, no matter what they say.

Do your homework and have a good long demonstration of how many hifi speakers you can and preferably in your own room, then go and listen to some speakers designed for what you want them for and you will be onto a winner.

try to get to listen to speakers that have an historic background in professional music studios all over the world then decide if hifi speakers are really what you are looking for.

cheers and good luck

Allan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts