Home audio package - £4,000

mathur.aditi

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

We are looking for a home audio package in a budget of £4,000.

We are leaning towards the following set-up:

- Monitor Audio GX200 speakers

- Audiolab 8200Q pre-amp

- Audiolab 8200P power-amp

- Chord qute HD DAC

To give some multiroom functionality, we are tacking on Sonos connect and 2x2 Sonos Play 1 speakers.

There is a noticeable cost saving if we go for Tannoy Precision 6.2 speakers, and a Pioneer SCLX57 receiver instead of the pre + power amp. We are not going to go surround and were told the analog config would be better suited to us therefore.

Would really appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks very much

AMV

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'd investigate something like the AVI ADM9RS & sub. Around £2k with dac and pre. But I would say that. :)

Of your possibles I'd rather go for the Pioneer' it's an AV AMP SO WILL INCLUDE HIGH QUALITY DIGITAL inputs. Probably not far behind the Chord. And all the other flexibility you get from that type of amp.

Im im a Sonos user so can thoroughly recommend that.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/s3x-v/description

Adam s3x. Louder, cleaner, better. (3K, leaving 1K for a DAC, think the chord you mentioned was 1K).

Obviously won't look as nice as monitor audio. Depends how much sound matters to you. 4K is a lot for a setup that's ugly in your mind.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
mathur.aditi@gmail.com said:
Hi all

- Audiolab 8200Q pre-amp

- Chord qute HD DAC

To give some multiroom functionality, we are tacking on Sonos connect and 2x2 Sonos Play 1 speakers.

There is a noticeable cost saving if we go for Tannoy Precision 6.2 speakers, and a Pioneer SCLX57 receiver instead of the pre + power amp. We are not going to go surround and were told the analog config would be better suited to us therefore.

Thanks very much

AMV

Looks like a nice set-up. But I would take the Audiolab CDQ instead of the Q and the Chord DAC. Saves you money and shelf space. Just a thought... Or an Oppo 105D would give you even more versatility (but it loads its disks slower than the CDQ)...

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't spend £1k on a DAC personally, I'd go with the Audiolab 8200DQ and a pair of 8200m's with the Tannoy 6.2's.

For an extra £100 the CDQ would be worth it unless you don't have discs.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Arrange a bake-off at your place whilst you've got that MA / Audiolab system for a home trial. Then buy whatever system you like the most.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:
£1k for a DAC :)

The Qute HD is an excellent DAC, and transformed the sound of my system even when using 'low quality' Napster. This was over the DAC in my Audiolab 8200AP pre/processor. If I could afford it, I'd add one into my system without hesitation (or maybe an Qute EX for futureproof purposes).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There will be a lot of features the Pioneer will have that you won't use. If I was looking to use high efficiency amplification, like the Pioneer I'd be looking more towards something like the Primare I22, although I'd also add in the Rotel RA1570 as a possibility if you wanted to cut down on boxes, as this includes a DAC, digital inputs and Bluetooth, and has similar power to the 8200P.

If you were to stick with the 8200P, I too would also recommend either the a Audiolab 8200CDQ or the Oppo BDP105, as both use the same high quality DAC. The CDQ adds CD playing ability, has digital inputs to plug your Sonos into, and allows either the use of the digital or analogue onboard pre-amplifier. The BDP105 also has digital inputs, but also allows the playback of SACD, DVD-A, and music stored on USB sources. This can also be used as a pre-amplifier, but I haven't compared this to anything else at this stage.

If you're happy with any of these two options, you've saved £1k, but the Qute HD DAC is excellent, and even made any Napster listening a far more pleasurable experience! So I'd add this to something like the Primare I22 - the Qute will give you everything else you seem to need.

Speakers are the most personal choice in this, and there are plenty of options out there. ProAc D18, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, KEF R700, B&W CM9, Tannoy Precision 6.2 are all worthy of audition and will work fine with the 8200P or the I22.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Monitor Audio and Audiolab?

I hope you like bright sounding, Chinese made audio because that's what your going to get if you buy that. Personally I think your 4000 pounds are better spent elsewhere.

Just one persons opinion.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:

I hope you like bright sounding, Chinese made audio because that's what your going to get if you buy that. Personally I think your 4000 pounds are better spent elsewhere.

2 persons opinions

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Audiolab isn't particularly bright sounding, but I appreciate it is all opinion. Some may see Audiolab and the likes of Rotel that way because it isn't warm and fuzzy like some brands. I find them fairly neutral for their price point. The CDQ and power amp combo is great value, and the P drives most speakers far better than many similarly priced integrated amplifiers would.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Audiolab isn't particularly bright sounding, but I appreciate it is all opinion. Some may see Audiolab and the likes of Rotel that way because it isn't warm and fuzzy like some brands. I find them fairly neutral for their price point. The CDQ and power amp combo is great value, and the P drives most speakers far better than many similarly priced integrated amplifiers would.

agreed. But Audiolab and Monitor Audio have the potential to be a tad bright in unison I think.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
What about Audiolab pre & power amp with the Tannoy 6.2s, would that be a good match?

Currently I've got Marantz amplification in between the Audiolab CDQ and MA RS6's, which smooths the sound out; it's detailed but not at all too bright. I am planning on replacing it with a power amp though, 8200p or ideally 2x 8200m's. But if I stick with the RS6's maybe the Marantz MM7025 would be a better match? Also I could make use of the XLR inputs which the audiolab power amps don't have.

I do like the look of those Tannoys though...

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I realise I'm a bit late to this party, but for my money I would go for an Audiolab 8200CDQ if you want to play CDs, or an M-DAC if you don't. I'd partner either of those with 2 x Audiolab 8200MB (via balanced interconnects) and into PMC Twenty.23 speakers. You'll need to work hard to get a good deal, and it will be right at the top end of your budget (or maybe just over), but from personal experience I can advise that Audiolab components & PMC speakers work beautifully together. If you can buy some of the bits s/hand, that could bring it within budget, or you could go for the PMC Gb1i speakers instead of the .23's.

Do let us know what you decide :)

mathur.aditi

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
thank you all for your posts and suggestions! we're trying out a few pieces of equipment this weekend and are looking to purchase soon... of course, its no longer a £4000 setup.... :) :bounce: :rockout:

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Happy_Listner said:

2 persons opinions

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
lpv said:
stevebrock said:
Happy_Listner said:

2 persons opinions

Tend to agree, with that kind of budget I would really expect to be buying something rather more interesting, but then I am not a 'mainstream' sort of guy.

For that sort of money I would take a look at valve amplifiers, the small Sugden A21 with suitably sensitive speakers, maybe Electrocompaniet or Exposure electronics. In addition I would look at the high power options, maybe small PMC's wth their matching 200watt power amps and a good CD player/preamp.

Might end up with something quite mainstream in the end (not me, you) but at least take a look at some different options.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
stevebrock said:
Happy_Listner said:

+1

Agree .

I think a Naim system : NAIT SX2 / DAC V1 or Rotel 1582 power / 1580 pre / Naim DAC V1 ( or Audiolab M-DAC ) or Audiolab 8200MB monos / 8200Q pre / M-DAC match with PMC , Proac or Spendor speakers are far more better options . I think matching Audiolab and Monitor Audio is a big mistake too.

matthewpiano

I would also advocate exploring some less mainstream options. Amp-wise I would be looking at the Creek Destiny 2, the Sugden davedotco suggests, and the Exposure 3010 - this really would be my amp short-list if I ever have the money for that sort of upgrade. If you want to save money there is the Sugden Mystro too, which I was very impressed with when I heard it.

There is lots of kit out there beyond the usual recommendations and quite often it can end up a better fit. With that sort of budget you owe it to yourself to explore a bit more.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Have a listen to some active speakers too which have the amps built in. AVI are an obvious option as they looks more living room friendly than most but also check out Genelec, Adam, Quested and Event Opals (if you can live with the looks).

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
mathur.aditi@gmail.com said:
Hi all

- Audiolab 8200Q pre-amp

- Chord qute HD DAC

Thanks very much

AMV

going back to your original post, as several people have said, Audiolab amplification and Monitor Audio speakers may not be a match made in heaven. Looking at alternative speakers, such as PMC, is one approach, but I would concur with matthewpiano's suggestions of alternative amplifiers. A Chord Qute HD DAC, Creek Destiny 2 amp, Monitor Audio GX200 speakers combination might make for a lovely system I feel.

TRENDING THREADS