Holly Cole & Claire Martin

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Anybody listened to Holly Cole's "Temptation" and Claire Martin's "He never mentioned Love" ?

When ever I listen to these albums, I feel like the low-end is very pronounced. Is there anything wrong with my tuning/crossover or is it just that these songs are rendered with very low end recording?

All other CDs, the system performs really well. Any suggestions or observations?

A

Anonymous

I don't have these recordings, but thought it worth mentioning that Claire Martin has some stuff available as very high quality (maybe even studio master!!) downloads from the Linn Records site (who onbiously care about their music!). Maybe download a track, burn it and see how it compares?

iRog

Jul 18, 2007
Visit site
Haven't heard Holly Cole, but I have the Claire Martin CD, and I think it is rendered with splendid clarity (like the other Linn recordings I have) and is a great album to boot. I suspect perhaps we are inclined to become conditioned to the mediocre recording quality of the majority of CDs to the extent that when a good quality recording can reproduce realistic bass response without artificial boost it comes as a surprise.

The variable recording quality of CDs has also been discussed here:

http://whathifi.co.uk/forums/p/637/1833.aspx#1833

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
For a long time Holly Cole's Don't Smoke in Bed disc was standard demonstration material for Japanese audio companies (at a time when Japanese companies still did audio demonstrations), and in fact I bought my copy at the HMV store in Shibuya, Tokyo after hearing just such a demonstration.

And yes, there is serious bass on the Holly Cole Trio discs, courtesy of amazing recording of David Piltch's upright .

By the way, new Holly Cole album, just entitled Holly Cole, out in a couple of weeks on Koch Records.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, I think that's the release date for the American market.

According to Amazon UK it's been available since November 2007 on the Tradition & Moderne label.

Just checked the Holly Cole website and it says released 2007 there too, www.hollycole.com.

A

Anonymous

This is quite interesting, cuz for a change; I was really worried if my set up has to do something to make it sound so bass heavy just for these 2 records only and sound perfectly OK with others.

The real culprits are actually the normal CDs being rendered in mediocre quality recording. Now that's a revelation!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts