JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The insurance company have come up with a decent settlement for my speakers. Do I live with what I have and bank the cash? Or do I get some new C2s and sell mine? Or do I get some new C20s and sell mine? Obviously there is a financial implication between 2 and 3 of about £800.

I'm thinking I may give them a good clean and sell them as slightly damaged for half RRP or thereabouts and see where I get to.

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:do they not become the property of the insurance company on settlement of your claim?

Certainly claiming the full value then selling the damaged goods for cash would sound like fraud...

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
did you have to have them listed seperatly on your insurance policy because over £1500? - i added mine and cost me like an extra £20 a year so would want them paying out in full if anything happened

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I didn't actually. He originally said that he would replace one. That's no use as they are pair matched, including the wooden finish so each is a symmetrical finish to the other. So he understood and we agreed a higher figure.

He didn't even look at the minor damage so I could have told him anything. I'm going to give them a thorough clean to see the extent, but it doesn't look too bad at all. The innards haven't been affected at all and are incredibly clean (I have checked), and the sound is stunning as it was before, in fact a mate of mine came over on Tuesday and it was 3:30am and 4 bottles of wine down when I told him I had to go to bed as I had work the next day. He crashed on the sofa and got in trouble with his missus. He said they were the best speakers he'd ever heard and had been in several recording studios as he's in a band.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
suppose not a bad result then - and if sounding ok after children and fire. Are they identical so can swap left and right over to hide the worst of the damage from view or are they a mirrored pair

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Yes they can be swapped over, but I will be very honest about the damage and take close-up pictures of the affected areas for people to see. They are actually about 95% perfect, if not 98%.

A

Anonymous

I'd upgrade, either the C10 or C20 will give you even more as it has a sublime treble unit (seas), the C2 sounds really special and the C10 or C20 takes that on either further, if you have the chance to then why not.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If they sound as good as you say, and if the damage really is as minimal as you say, I'd keep 'em and pocket the dough.

With a couple of young 'uns around the home, and the ever looming prospect of further damage that having kids entails, it seems to make even more sense to keep what you have. When they're older and better behaved/less clumsy/less inquisistive, then you can get your dream speakers.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim: He said they were the best speakers he'd ever heard and had been in several recording studios as he's in a band.

If he's in a band, his opinion is worthless. He's probably half-way deaf like the rest of us musicians!!

;-)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:If they sound as good as you say, and if the damage really is as minimal as you say, I'd keep 'em and pocket the dough. With a couple of young 'uns around the home, and the ever looming prospect of further damage that having kids entails, it seems to make even more sense to keep what you have. When they're older and better behaved/less clumsy/less inquisistive, then you can get your dream speakers.

That sounds eminently sensible Big Chris.

Unfortunately I now have the opportunity to get some C20s at a knockdown price, brand new and boxed as my dealer has taken pity and offered me a bargain. And SWMBO would never know any different.

Is that an opportunity that I can pass up and it's unlikely to happen ever again without voodoo?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
Big Chris:If they sound as good as you say, and if the damage really is as minimal as you say, I'd keep 'em and pocket the dough. With a couple of young 'uns around the home, and the ever looming prospect of further damage that having kids entails, it seems to make even more sense to keep what you have. When they're older and better behaved/less clumsy/less inquisistive, then you can get your dream speakers.

That sounds eminently sensible Big Chris.

Unfortunately I now have the opportunity to get some C20s at a knockdown price, brand new and boxed as my dealer has taken pity and offered me a bargain. And SWMBO would never know any different.

Is that an opportunity that I can pass up and it's unlikely to happen ever again without voodoo?

Aaaah. A once-in-a-lifetime deal eh? Do it, and don't look back. You could stick them in the loft until the kids have left home.

:)

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
Why would you try to hide the C20 upgrade?

If it's your money - and the kids are clothed and fed - and the bills paid etc. then who gives a monkey's?

You're either single, or your Wife is perfection on two legs Chebby.

My Wife hasn't spotted my CD72T is actually now a CD192, and the longer that lasts, the better! Unfortunately, any amp I go for in future will not have a snowball's chance in hell of masquerading as an A65+.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:chebby:

If it's your money - and the kids are clothed and fed - and the bills paid etc. then who gives a monkey's?

You're either single, or your Wife is perfection on two legs Chebby.

My Wife hasn't spotted my CD72T is actually now a CD192, and the longer that lasts, the better! Unfortunately, any amp I go for in future will not have a snowball's chance in hell of masquerading as an A65+.

Of course she is 'perfection on two legs' and always will be to me
emotion-2.gif
(We have been together since 1980 so I guess something works though I have no idea what, because I am a man obviously!)

She has her money, I have mine. I pay all the bills and would not dream of spending out on hifi instead if anything took a higher prority. To some degree I consult her. It was her wish that we retain a CD player. On the other hand I know she loves the Rega R3 speakers so I would not change those without ensuring first that she would like the look and I would make sure they had the same finish (maple) if at all possible and similar dimensions (if a floor stander).

The upgrade to Naim recently was fine. That was universally approved of. (By daughters as well)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

you have obviously not met my misses - she think its a waste and claims that all she ever noticies with upgrades is it gets louder!!!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
My missus is fine, but if I don't strike now I won't get another opportunity for quite some time. I told her I was buying these and selling a few things to make up the shortfall, ie a turntable, my old speakers, a phono amp, a cable, and a vintage Omega watch. I nearly got there give or take a couple of hundred quid.

However, this means that this upgrade will have to last me a few years as she now knows the cost and that I wouldn't downgrade.

I've actually just spent an hour lovingly cleaning them up and there is far less damage than I feared and sonically they are perfect, the inside foam etc not marked at all by smoke or anything. Listening to them now and they are great, but I think the offer of £600 off a brand new pair of C20s may be too hard to resist, given that they look 99% identical. Of course that does mean shelling out but the sale of these should cover that and she won't be any the wiser.ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:chebby:

You're either single, or your Wife is perfection on two legs Chebby.:)My Wife hasn't spotted my CD72T is actually now a CD192, and the longer that lasts, the better! Unfortunately, any amp I go for in future will not have a snowball's chance in hell of masquerading as an A65+.

Didn't she notice the time it takes to load a CD is about 5 times as long?

You're right on the A65+.ÿ

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:Big Chris:chebby:

You're either single, or your Wife is perfection on two legs Chebby.:)My Wife hasn't spotted my CD72T is actually now a CD192, and the longer that lasts, the better! Unfortunately, any amp I go for in future will not have a snowball's chance in hell of masquerading as an A65+.

Didn't she notice the time it takes to load a CD is about 5 times as long?

You're right on the A65+.ÿ

She hardly ever listens to CDs. With me around she listens to more music than she ever would if she were alone anyway. We like pretty much the same music, both being major Opeth fans, she doesn't even mind when it gets very heavy (a la 'Job For A Cowboy'). She may listen to Kings Of Leon or Elbow while I'm out at rehearsal, but even then that's a rarity.

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:My Wife hasn't spotted my CD72T is actually now a CD192, and the longer that lasts, the better!

And you have an upgrade path to the FMJ range, just tell her the FMJ 'stripe' is a sticker you put on.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts