Hmmm, this is why I dislike remakes

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Wait until you see the crew sitting around in deck chairs all using iPods!

I expect the American backers will insist on the plucky Limeys messing it all up and Arthur 'Bomber' Harris (Martin Scorsese) having to get Churchill (Bradd Pitt) to secretly beg the United States for some help.

Eventually a B29 flown by Tom Cruise & Nicole Kidman takes out all the dams using cruise missiles that were 'channelled' from the future through a time warp in Area 51 (created using technology from a crashed UFO).

The scary thing is that you're probably right.

Clearly from that shot Gibson had an on-board tunic press, and the Lancs look very clean given they've flown to Germany and back at tree-top level...

Stephen Fry could've made the biggest faux pas of his career in writing a Hollywood-influenced script.
emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

chebby:
Wait until you see the crew sitting around in deck chairs all using iPods!

I expect the American backers will insist on the plucky Limeys messing it all up and Arthur 'Bomber' Harris (Martin Scorsese) having to get Churchill (Bradd Pitt) to secretly beg the United States for some help.

Eventually a B29 flown by Tom Cruise & Nicole Kidman takes out all the dams using cruise missiles that were 'channelled' from the future through a time warp in Area 51 (created using technology from a crashed UFO).

You should copyright that.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:You should copyright that.

The bit I left out was Tom & Nicole's B29 being shot down and crashing in the path of the impending deluge from a dam about to break.

Tom realises they have only minutes left and rapidly converts parts of the tail fins into surfboards.

Tom and Nicole (and a cute Dachshund puppy, called Heinz, that hitches a ride at the last second) tube surf all the way to the Bavarian Alps where the tidal wave throws them through the picture windows of the Berghof and they machine gun the entire assembled N#zi top brass dead.

War over. Tom Cruise marries Princess Elizabeth, Nicole is the bridesmaid and Heinz carries the rings.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
laserman16:I'm afraid your storyline is flawed.

You assume the B29 is accurate in its delivery of ordinance......
emotion-1.gif

Or even accurate in it's delivery of ordnance.

Yes, well, this is Hollywood weaponry that has been brought into being from the future. (Remember the time warp I wrote into part 1?)

Hey man, I got a cute puppy, I got a wedding, I got surfing, I got Royalty, I got Brad, Nicole, Marty & Tom, I got WW2 won two years early and I got a freakin' time warp!

What more do you want?

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
chebby:laserman16:I'm afraid your storyline is flawed.

You assume the B29 is accurate in its delivery of ordinance......
emotion-1.gif

Or even accurate in it's delivery of ordnance.

Yes, well, this is Hollywood weaponry that has been brought into being from the future. (Remember the time warp I wrote into part 1?)

Sorry about the spelling.

And yes I forgot about the time warp.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Peter Jackson's remake of the Dambusters isn't right by any stretch... take a look and decide for yourself. True it's only 2 mins long but this clip doesn't inspire confidence in the rest of the film.
emotion-7.gif
emotion-45.gif

Barnes Wallis with an accent? That's just one monumental mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7WPEyTAolg

Hmmm perhaps I'm being particularly dense here PP but this is nothing to do with Peter Jackson's remake.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Chebby i couldnt off put it better myself, The only thing you forgot in somehow they will find a damsell in destress in the middle of the war and create it onto an American love story

the_lhc:plastic penguin:

Peter Jackson's remake of the Dambusters isn't right by any stretch... take a look and decide for yourself. True it's only 2 mins long but this clip doesn't inspire confidence in the rest of the film.
emotion-7.gif
emotion-45.gif

Hmmm perhaps I'm being particularly dense here PP but this is nothing to do with Peter Jackson's remake.

Enlighten me, please.

Are you saying this is a fake?

Why should Chebby have the credit (no disrespect, Chebby is knowledgeable).

However, given I'm a Barnes Wallis historian (have been for the past 30 years), worked at Brooklands, the OH's Grandfather worked with Wallis - and earlier in the year I met Elizabeth. She is Wallises eldest - and the only living memeber of the Wallis family - and it was fairly embarassing to meet a wrinkly OAP....

Gawd, I'm in trouble....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:the_lhc:plastic penguin:

emotion-7.gif
emotion-45.gif

Enlighten me, please.

No, look at the details of the person who posted it, he's a (very) low budget filmmaker, doing his own version, if it was Jackson's it'd have Weta Workshop's name on it, not Studio111.

chebby:

plastic penguin:...and it was fairly embarassing to meet a wrinkly OAP..

Why?

Well, because Elizabeth hated Barnes - like most eccentrics he was never there for her or the family.

Back February, I took the M.I.L shopping in Dorking and she started talking to a Liz in a well known supermarket. She introduced me to her, and we chatted for a while. After a few minutes, this Liz, who seemed well educated, very alert for 80-odd year old, asked me what hobbies I had: I turned tho the M.I.L, and had an uncomfortable feeling who it may be, and whispered in the M.I.L's ear: "Is this bouncing Liz?" she nodded yes.

Diplomatically, I handled myself well, confessing I was interested in WWII issues without revealing I'd studied her father (and teaching at my daughter's school about the dams raid) for the past three decades.

As you probably gathered, I'm pretty passionate about it...

BTW, I live about 2 miles from the house where the bouncing bomb was conceived. Very poignant.

the_lhc:plastic penguin:the_lhc:plastic penguin:

emotion-7.gif
emotion-45.gif

Enlighten me, please.

No, look at the details of the person who posted it, he's a (very) low budget filmmaker, doing his own version, if it was Jackson's it'd have Weta Workshop's name on it, not Studio111.

You could very well be right. I know absolutely nowt about the film maker, all I do know is if was a attempt to recreate an event that bares no resemblence to the actual raid (or post-raid in this case). I can accept a shoddy remake of a fictional film or a mickey-take of the raid like the Carling ads, otherwise it should be consigned to the bin.

One last point I want to make: there have been many misconceptions and inaccruacies about the dams raid, emanating from Brickhill's original book and Gibson's "Enemy Coast Ahead." For some reason it wasn't rectified when John Anderson directed the 1954 film. I know there's a requirement for drama, like most films, but this is rare occasion when the truth is more fascinating than the fiction.

Hope Jackson's version can address this issue; the truth needs to be told to throw light on the *real* events leading up to the 16th May 1943.

the_lhc:Well he's got access to recently declassified material that wasn't available when the original film was made, so I believe the intention is to tell the "true" story.

Agreed totally: even though it was still classified when Brickhill researched the details for the book, he clearly states in the epilogue that he had access to the surviving aircrews of 617, Wallis and Guy Gibson's wife, as well as many who helped Wallis in the initial research and develpoment of the bouncing bomb. According to Brickhill he had info, although does not mention the facts.

What about the film: It takes all ( most at least) the knowledge from Enemy Coast Ahead and Brickhill (who actually advised the film makers), yet why, for instance, is the bouncing bomb spherical when the bomb used on 'Operation Chastise' was cylindrical. Brickhill also claims in the book that Wallis ditched the sphere because it would be too big to sling under the aircraft.

The truth is very much different: the reason why Wallis prefered a cylinder was because the sphere was too unpredictable - it veered off course. Although the sphere was used when 618 Squaron was formed a week after 617. It was meant to be a Mosquito squadron to attack the Tirpitz. A few days before 'Chastise' 618 was scrapped. These are just a couple of examples where fundamental info was missed.

Did you also know that Wallis did not invent the bouncing bomb? according to the film he says he got the "...idea from Nelson." That is also incorrect. The concept of bouncing bombs was first used in anger in 1939, when some crews of Coastal Command, when attacking U-boat pens, slung the depth charges so that they bounced into the pens.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts