Hmm why the left ear?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have noticed that I hear the left speaker much clearer than my right speaker, to the point where I even bothered doing these online hearing tests but the results were that my right ear is slightly sharper than my left ear? I don't know if it's the way I have my room set up or what lol but basically my speakers are about 4.5 ft from each other not ideal but to the left speaker (as i look at it) there is my hi fi shelf, just slightly further forward sits my desk and as for my right speaker it's slightly less than 18 inches away from the side wall. I know I am not going deaf (i think lol) and in the past it's been my left ear which has taken a battering so I am very confused. Particularly it seems like vocals are only coming from the left speaker but obviously they are coming from both because when I move my head closer to the side of the right speaker, it's apparent. Oh the other thing to mention, although I doubt this makes much difference, is there is a mattress sat in front of the right speaker, however it's only a mattress so it shouldn't be causing any undue problems.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Shift the mattress and have a listen, just to prove a point. Idealy and being realy anal about it your room should be balanced but in the real world,well that aint going to happen is it. How im reading your post it appears to me that you have reflections on the left and absorbtion on the right. Which could be why........ Oh but i could also be talking drivel (covers backside statement )
emotion-2.gif

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I'd go with floyd on this - some kind of acoustic imbalance in the room quite likely (assuming all connections have been checked and are ok of course). In the past I've had to toe-in the front speakers slightly differently to each other to correct such a problem - not ideal, but often room layouts don't give you much choice.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hi fi newbie:...there is a mattress sat in front of the right speaker, however it's only a mattress so it shouldn't be causing any undue problems.

Do you live on Squornshellous Zeta ?

A

Anonymous

Lol alright thanks, the reason why I had discounted the mattress is because it's not exactly impeding the ports, whereas the reflections from the desk in particular, would be a plausible reason for hearing it so prominently.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid:Or does he float in the air like bricks dont. We realy must get out more chebby.

I can't get out. I am still waiting for a consignment of Lemon Scented Napkins to arrive
emotion-6.gif

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd be tempted to reverse-phase one of the speakers to see if the problem balances itself out, either through the weak side improving, or the strong side weakening. If nothing changes then you can eliminate cable connection errors, and be happy that the internal connections are all wired correctly too.

If things do change, then you've either solved the problem, or found a hint of another problem.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
floyd droid:Or does he float in the air like bricks dont. We realy must get out more chebby.

I can't get out. I am still waiting for a consignment of Lemon Scented Napkins to arrive
emotion-6.gif

Never mind then .Im going for a walk with a towel wrapped around my head
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts