Hissing Noise at High Volumes with Cambridge Audio Azur 651A

Problem: At high volume levels I am experiencing a mild "hissing" static noise. I am playing the music from my Macbook Pro to the Azur651A via USB cable. The Azur is connected to a pair of B&W DM602 s3. The noise starts when the USB is plugged in at around 60% volume with no music playing.

What I have tried: If I unplug the USB from the Azur then the noise stops entirely. If I change the source to any unused source then the noise is not there. I have made certain the leads are not switched on either the speakers or amp (positive vs. ground). I have tried using different USB chords (shorter vs longer). I have checked all connections.

Conclusions:

USB cable is picking up noise

Amp is no good

Equipment:

Azur 651A amp

B&W DM602s3 speakers

2015 macbook pro

USB 10 ft A to B

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Emilio Cazares said:
Problem: At high volume levels I am experiencing a mild "hissing" static noise. I am playing the music from my Macbook Pro to the Azur651A via USB cable. The Azur is connected to a pair of B&W DM602 s3. The noise starts when the USB is plugged in at around 60% volume with no music playing.

What I have tried: If I unplug the USB from the Azur then the noise stops entirely. If I change the source to any unused source then the noise is not there. I have made certain the leads are not switched on either the speakers or amp (positive vs. ground). I have tried using different USB chords (shorter vs longer). I have checked all connections.

Conclusions:

USB cable is picking up noise

Amp is no good

Equipment:

Azur 651A amp

B&W DM602s3 speakers

2015 macbook pro

USB 10 ft A to B

Your evidence points to a very different conclusion which is that the hiss is being generated by the Macbook!

Chris

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I agree with Covenanter that at least the Macbook should be among the possible culprits - how have you discounted it as a source of the noise? I would say its unlikely the amp if its quiet with all other sources (*caveat - its possible something has come loose in the amp at the USB connection).

Best way to check is use another digital source (maybe an iphone or something, you will obvs need to use the dedicated phone USB for that) and see if the noise persits. If not - its your Mac / USB cable.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Blackdawn said:
USB connections are noisy. Best to use Coaxial or Optical to your DAC. Asynchronous USB DAC's are better than non asynchronous USB DAC's

Is there an optical or coaxial output on a Macbook? I genuinely dont know as i dont have one, but my laptop certainly doesnt have that functionality.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Noise can be a problem with usb, but better dacs should be able to reject this, if you have a 'tame' dealer, see if you can borrow a usb dac to try.

Even better, get a dac with spdif inputs too, try the optical input on the Macbook.

Edit. Macbooks usually have a mini toslink combined with the headphone output but the 651A is usb only.

D

Deleted member 116933

Have you tried using a USB cable with a Ferrite Core Noise Suppressor on it. Its what there designed for. Its a cheap fix that might work

they look like this

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5pcs-pack-Movable-Offset-5mm-Clip-On-Cable-EMI-RFI-Filter-Snap-Around-Ferrite-Core/931762_2053183158.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts