High VFM components

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
The last few years i have been very happy to see a few really high value for money components appearing in the hifi world. This is my limited list. Please feel free to add others .... :cheers:

Speakers:

Q Acoustics 2020i

Q Acoustics Concept 20

KEF LS50

Amplifiers:

Most Tripath based class T amplifiers. Altough not very practical (no remote) and limited in power output, these amplifiers sound very good imo and cost very little.

Cd players:

Have not yet found one. :cry:

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Decware Zen -Best amp I have heard and owned so far, easily mixes it with esoteric competition that I have compared it with. A little expensive by the time you get one imported from the USA though but still very good VFM.

Magnepan MMG - An absolute bargain in the US for $599, dont know why you would buy anything else at that price, brilliant brilliant speakers. Much like the Zen, not as much of a bargain by the time you get them to the UK.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
Magnepan MMG - An absolute bargain in the US for $599, dont know why you would buy anything else at that price, brilliant brilliant speakers. Much like the Zen, not as much of a bargain by the time you get them to the UK.

Yes cheap in the USA but not so cheap over here, seen them for £1,500 and I think you need the right size room and plenty of space, so not for everyone.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The E-DAC 24 bit Miniature USB DAC At £100

The Behringer UCA202 at around £25 is also a bargain.

I agree about cd players, you may as well buy a Marantz 63KI for around £70 or a Sony BDP.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Q Acoustics 2020i Dali Zensor 3 Tannoy Mercury V1 Rega Brio-R Denon PMA720AE (stupidly high value for the street price of £200, it would still be great value at £350 given its sound quality)

No CD players? ;)

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
hoopsontoast said:

Yes cheap in the USA but not so cheap over here, seen them for £1,500 and I think you need the right size room and plenty of space, so not for everyone.

I guess you are thinking of the MG12 model, which is £1500 UK RRP, usually aroujnd £1250.

The MMGs are factory direct and around £700 by the time you have paid for shipping and VAT/Import Duty on top.

They work in 'normal' rooms but they need reasonable space behind them, and they work very well up near side walls so long and thin rooms are actually good for them. They are however very light/easy to move so you can pull them out to listen to and put them back up against the wall when you dont need them.

ErwinC said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Meridian CD players

Magico speakers

Benchmark DACs

Not really cheap components, espcially the Magico speakers. ;)

I'm pretty sure the OP said good VFM. Cheap is something completely different, and was not specified. :)

Not at all new but I'd add my Stello Transport and DAC to the list - the best made/sounding/ VFM kit I've ever bought.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi ErwinC

Source - Rega Apollo-r, Rega RP3/Elys2, Naim DAC-V1

Amplifier - Rega Brio-R, Naim Nait 5si

Speakers - Monitor Audio BX2, ATC curved SCM7 & curved SCM11 and although expensive JL Audio Fathom f212

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I agree with the Monitor Audio BX2. The other components i have not yet heard.

Thanks for the feedback. :cheers:

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Alears said:
I'm pretty sure the OP said good VFM. Cheap is something completely different, and was not specified. :)

Not at all new but I'd add my Stello Transport and DAC to the list - the best made/sounding/ VFM kit I've ever bought.

Related to Magico speakers with a price tag from £12000 to £60000 and higher, i think it is difficult to call these high VFM. They rather very high price. ;)

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Synology 212j or 213j! Great SQ and all your music, video, etc in one unified place for under $500 (depending upon hd size) and a free app to control!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For me, VFM is generally reserved for components that are generally head and shoulders (subjective, I know) above those in their price range. For example, I rate Blades as giving VFM if in the market for a £20k speaker.

On a more realistic level:

Source: Linn Sneaky (have yet to hear better at the price)

Amps: Harman Kardon HK990 (up to £1k), Rega Elicit R (£1k-2k) and Electrocompaniet ECI-5 (£2k-3)

Speakers: Kef LS50 (Reference speaker for sensible money)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Overall I think hifi kit and the term 'value for money' don't really go together, I think most of it (budget speakers aside, maybe)costs way more than it should.

Having said that, in hifi terms the ones that stand head and shoulders over everything else I've heard are the Avi ADM9's.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Q Acoustics 2020i Dali Zensor 3 Tannoy Mercury V1 Rega Brio-R Denon PMA720AE (stupidly high value for the street price of £200, it would still be great value at £350 given its sound quality)

+1 for that denon amp, just bought one, to replace a faulty marantz pm7001, slightly different presentation but just as enjoyable

TANNOY V4, for £249 just trounces any other speaker at this price IMO, defies that cliche that cheap floorstanders are awful, these are very very good and deserve a good system to make them sing

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts