High Frame Rate (HFR TV): What is it? Why does it matter? And how do you get it?

Travis Daki

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Put your right (or left) hand up in front of your face, spread your fingers apart and wave your hand around. The faster you 'wave' the less defined your fingers look. See, human sight is ALL about the motion blur! What we see 'in focus' is less than 20% of our eyesight - all the rest of it (our peripheral vision) is nothing but a blur (out of focus). And the things that ARE in focus appear less so the faster they move. Focus your eyes on this word >TEST< and tell me how many other words besides (and above it) can you clearly see? The answer of course is 'none'.

So, to say ''The extra smoothness and resolution make the films look more lifelike'', is completely wrong. It does anything but! Because, again, we're used to seeing motion blur (on moving subjects). Certain animals (cats for example, and all sorts of birds) are able to utilise more than 80% of their vision - there's not much peripheral blur, almost everything is in focus all of the time. Not gonna go in-depth with this, I'll just say that whereas we humans can be fooled with 24 fp/s (in order to see smooth motion) cats need thrice the amount of frames within each second. Eagles, I believe, need as many as 2.000. So, your cat is watching a DIA-show every time it looks towards a telly (the reason why they get bored by it quickly).

Maybe you guys should do a little research on ''180 Degree Shutter Rule''. Because no matter how many FPS the footage is shot with, it's GOT to have some motion blur in it - in order to look 'lifelike'. :):

Cheers! ♫♪
Travis

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts