A

Anonymous

One man's meat is another man's poison. If you consider it so then so be it.

A

Anonymous

But is your mid-range high-end if you don't know about high-end. And what happens if your end gets higher?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:But is your mid-range high-end if you don't know about high-end. And what happens if your end gets higher?

Is a Vauxhall Astra a supercar if you have never seen a Bugatti or a Lamborghini?

daveh75:its all relative

Not really. One's ignorance of the existence of a Continuum Caliburn Reference turntable does not make a Project Debut III 'high-end'.

A

Anonymous

But everyone knows about them, even people really into super high-end audio are not aware of some of the companies which lurk there.

A

Anonymous

A gutter dweller may consider an Acoustic Solutions CD player to be high-end because it has it's own shiny case. Ignorance is bliss.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:A gutter dweller may consider an Acoustic Solutions CD player to be high-end because it has it's own shiny case. Ignorance is bliss.

I look down on him because he is lower class,but I look up to him because he is upper class.

"I know my place"

A

Anonymous

Exactly, except possibly the reverse is true... and only the upper class can afford Acoustic Solutions anyway.

A

Anonymous

I've always thought as anything above Arcam is "high-end" and so anything above Monitor Audio GS series speakers is "high end" - so roughly any component over £2000 is high end in my book. However, the Grado SR60s completly mess up the headphone system because they are just sooooooo good for the price!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Maciek:What High-End actually means? Can I call my system ( cambridge audio 840A v2.0 + 840C + dali ikon 6's) High-end?:) Just need to clear things up:)

Does it matter? You have a very nice system. I was almost tempted to buy the CA pair. They are superb for the money an no-one offers similar facilities at the price. Hope you enjoy them mate.

daveh75

Tear Drop:daveh75:its all relative Relative to what? No one seems to know... to what you can afford to an extent i guess. if you consider the likes of plinius or bryston to be high end for example, someone who can afford a 100k system would look at that as a budget system.

A

Anonymous

Ravey Gravey Davy:ÿ
Yah, hello- yes I saw you coming-ÿ

Did you see me leave too?ÿ

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:Ravey Gravey Davy:

Yah, hello- yes I saw you coming-

Did you see me leave too?

Leave two what- you know the spelling on this site is atrocious

Do not run the 2nd and 3rd words together -it might give a false impression.(manc joke)

A

Anonymous

The irony is that that in a technical sense the 840C is more sophisticated than many "High End" CD players- which often end up being little more than a Philips transport and an adequate DAC stuffed into a heavy box (and yes I would say my own CD player probably falls into this catagory). I've generally found that if something costs a sum of money that cannot be justified to a sane person no matter what level of explanation goes into it, then you probably have a high end product. As an interesting example, my amp costs about £1500 new, develops a somewhat anaemic 18 watts, has build quality an Argos customer wouldn't tolerate and is with the best will in the world pretty ugly. I therefore reckon it is an easy entrant to the start of the high end club.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
gregory:in a word NO

There will be people out there that will find my answer (and your) sound snobish but I would put them in Budget to lower Midrange section of the market. It shouldn't bother any owner, however! If you like the sound does is matter?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:
gregory:in a word NO

There will be people out there that will find my answer (and your) sound snobish but I would put them in Budget to lower Midrange section of the market. It shouldn't bother any owner, however! If you like the sound does is matter?

I was worried about the reaction to this when I first read the OP. I'm surprised and relieved that people haven't gone to town on Maciek. Thaiman once called the 840C the best cd player under £1k. From what I've read elsewhere, I don't think there is much better than that combo for the price. My immediate reaction to the OP's question is mid range. I can understand Thaiman and Gregory (Thaiman was graceful..) are saying. However, Thaiman saying budget to lower mid is a bit ambiguous. The way to look at it is, are there many more combos under £750 each than there are at above that price? Debatable. But what do you call midrange Thaiman? Anything under £3k a pop? If so, aren't there more amps and cdps priced under £750 than there are between £750 and £3k?

At the end of the day, the earlier summarisers were on the money for me. There are many many people that would not dream of paying £750 for a cd player and another £750 for an amp. They probably have no idea that machines like the Scarlatti cost thousands are in existence. To them, the CA 840s would be high end. Most on this site I reckon would class them as mid range and then the big hitters like Thaiman and Gregory, who have spent fortunes on their kits, would class them as a lot lower.

TRENDING THREADS