High end Speaker dilema

scorps

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
i have come into a little money and as such am upgrading my system

which consists of acer lappie, beresford dac with offboard power supply, densen preamp, exposure 18 monos and monitor audio gs 60 chord cable throughout

now although i quite like my speakers at mo they dont tick all the boxes vocals are lovely but not breathtaking bass is good but i know there is better

so having bit of money spare how best to spend it

shortlist at mo is nautilus 803, spendor A9, PMC pb1i dont know how these will work with rest of system am upgrading lappie to a server either sooloos control 15, naim hdx or olive4/6

maybe i will need to budget in a different amp combo at a push depends what bargains are about

any input greatly recieved

regards

pete

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Very nice indeed.

I'd be inclined to go crazy with the speakers, but the streamers I'd treat with more caution, so as to not be spending money for the sake of it.

For example, try the mentioned streamers back to back with say, the CA Streammagic 6.

Also, you could consider some of the ATC actives, like the ATC SCM50SL AT.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Without a bit of a Google, I'm not familiar with the capability of your amps, but your speaker choice may (or may not be) limited by them. As well as the Spendor A9's and PMC PB1i's, you should also look at the ProAc D28's or D40's, and the KEF Reference 205/2's.

As mentioned with the streamer, try a few options out. There are some great, affordable streamers out there that, while not great sounding on their own, are more than capable when routed through a good DAC. Tomorrow, I'll be trying the Pioneer N50 routed digitally through a Bryston SP3 and 4Bsst2 power amplifier, driving the KEF Blades. It'll be interesting to see how the system sounds, as the current Cyrus system is being fed with a Cyrus Stream X, and sounds phenomenal.

scorps said:
i have come into a little money and as such am upgrading my system

which consists of acer lappie, beresford dac with offboard power supply, densen preamp, exposure 18 monos and monitor audio gs 60 chord cable throughout

now although i quite like my speakers at mo they dont tick all the boxes vocals are lovely but not breathtaking bass is good but i know there is better

so having bit of money spare how best to spend it

shortlist at mo is nautilus 803, spendor A9, PMC pb1i dont know how these will work with rest of system am upgrading lappie to a server either sooloos control 15, naim hdx or olive4/6

maybe i will need to budget in a different amp combo at a push depends what bargains are about

any input greatly recieved

regards

pete

Hi Pete

Your Densen pre amp is?

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system generally listen to?

The size of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Your general listening level?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Without a bit of a Google, I'm not familiar with the capability of your amps, but your speaker choice may (or may not be) limited by them. As well as the Spendor A9's and PMC PB1i's, you should also look at the ProAc D28's or D40's, and the KEF Reference 205/2's.

As mentioned with the streamer, try a few options out. There are some great, affordable streamers out there that, while not great sounding on their own, are more than capable when routed through a good DAC. Tomorrow, I'll be trying the Pioneer N50 routed digitally through a Bryston SP3 and 4Bsst2 power amplifier, driving the KEF Blades. It'll be interesting to see how the system sounds, as the current Cyrus system is being fed with a Cyrus Stream X, and sounds phenomenal.

I have these speakers, so they would be my favorite out of that excellent list (all should be tried). As for a streamer, I like the Linn DS range.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I've had a listen to the Naim hdx albeit in a Naim system and sounded very good as a server and outperformed the 555/555 combo that was in it. Also heard an Olive with my amp and some Antony Gallo Ref 5's but not sure how it performed tbh, i didn't like the Gallo's and had no other source to compare, it done the job though.

Never heard a Sooloos but i'd imagine it would better in a Meridian set up with some of their actives.

Speaker choice is very nice indead, though room dims and music taste may help us out. But if you want bass, deep clean 20/30hz region bass depending on room, Totem Mani II sigs do just that. Haven't recomended those in a while.

scorps

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
thanks for replies to answer a cpl of questions

densen preamp is model b-200

room is approx6.5 metres x 6.2computer desk in corner away from speakers with a sofa on back wall stereo is in fromt of the windows but have some thick lined curtains, wooden heavy carpetted floor, bare painted walls with cpl of pictures up including 6' x 4' pink floyd poster in wooden frame,

current speakers i have setup approx 2' from side and back walls

listening choice is varied to say the least from mike oldfield to def leppard, floyd, dave matthews, faithless, bit of jazz and classical

my brother has some kef 3.2 which he runs off sugden pre power and the sound is really sweet with huge lows which draw u into the music somehow really breathtaking something my system can only give glimpses of

i listen mainly at normal levels but living on a farm in middle of nowhere means i can crank it up from time to time which im prone to do as soon as house is empty :)

regards

pete

TRENDING THREADS