High End DVD player required - Bluray & HD can wait!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Your advice is required guys and gals:

Looking for a straight forward high end dvd player. Not fully convinced yet on the whole bluray and other formats debacle that is so want your views on what i should be looking for.

Current system includes Yamaha RX-V1800 amp/reciever, Pioneer 507XD plasma, Sky HD, Apple TV, Bowers & Wilkins PV1 and MT-30 Sattelite speakers (5.1 System) with QED cabling throughout.

Had originally looked at pioneer dvd 989 but has been out sometime now, also looked at arcam but still unsure due to lack of current audio formats, budget is upto around £1000. Oh and needs to be futureproof-ish if there is such a thing these days!!

Thanks again

G

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you can get a deal on/hunt down the Denon DVD-3930 (list price £1100), you'll be a very happy man.

If you don't want to spend that much, try the Marantz DV7001 (£600) - superb upscaling machine and the best player up to £1000.

Alternatively, if you wanted to dip a toe in the HD water, try Pioneer's BDP-LX70A Blu-ray player (£1000): as good with DVDs as that Pioneer DVD989 but with HD and networking capabilities, too.

A

Anonymous

or if you use eb** keep an eye for the TAG MCLAREN dvds either one DV32 OR DV32FLR can recommend the 2nd one personally and it can be upgraded with the psm192 board at a later stage and it gives you a dvi connection

A

Anonymous

Hi Claire, I am looking to get a complete new system and am undecided given so many subjective views, But;

1. Planar PD470 or Pioneer PDP-LX508D

2. Eclipse TD508II & 316SW

3. AVR??

Onkyo TXNR905

Denon

Yamaha

Arcam - ruled out getting updated and only 2 HDMI outs

4. DVD No idea, just want a great upscaler to maintain current libary.

Any feed abck would be helpful.

Thanks, Ian.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I have the Denon DVD3930 which I got Ex-Display for £500 and its a fantastic machine and the results at 1080p on my Samsung are quite spectacular and its not too shabby when it comes to cd playback either.
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

DJ Krime.....Just jumped on board dude and bagged me a denon 3930 brand new for £500 from creative audio in shrewsbury, well impressed so far but....what settings are you currently using though, bit puzzled by the YcBcR/RGB or PC WXGA or whatever and also the 780/1080i/1080p conundrum of settings.....what do ya reckon.

Im outputting everything via HDMI to my Yamaha RX V1800.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gavmee"]
DJ Krime.....Just jumped on board dude and bagged me a denon 3930 brand new for £500 from creative audio in shrewsbury, well impressed so far but....what settings are you currently using though, bit puzzled by the YcBcR/RGB or PC WXGA or whatever and also the 780/1080i/1080p conundrum of settings.....what do ya reckon.

Im outputting everything via HDMI to my Yamaha RX V1800.

[/quote] I have mine set at 1080p RGB as my Plasma is a FULL HD screen and found this gives the best results, as far as I know the whole idea behind the PC WXGA settings is that if you have a HD READY set then this setting matches the exact number of pixels.

It really is a lovely peice of kit and great to hear that you also got it for a fantastic price. IMHO it also does a fantastic job with CD's but it is best to put both your Yamaha and the 3930 into DIRECT MODE to get the best results with music.
emotion-21.gif

John Duncan

[quote user="professorhat"]Who wouldn't like to say 'smock'?! I've always been a fan of 'toucan'.[/quote]

Liking your work. Does a Toucan Quark?

Does this site not allow links to gifs? (edit - s'ok, it's that it doesn't allow idiots who can't type, fixed now)

A

Anonymous

Quite like Flange and Gussett myself!! Never tire of saying those words!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts