hifiman ef2a vs musical fidelity V-90hpa vs Epiphany ehp-O2di for akg k612?

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I am oscillating between these two and can't decide (can't listen either) but they're available in a big online store in my country ( with warranty and all advantages - lower shipping fees) .The headphones are 120ohm , 101 db .I'll use them to listen from a Windows 8.1 tablet (Toshiba encore 10") *dirol* that I recently aquired (yesterday) ! to avoid any android audiu usb out surprises .

Researched the net but can't decide yet , don't know about the building quality of the hifiman.

I'd go with the third solution is the Epiphany EHP-O2di that isn't available in my country or on ebay .

Some opinions ?

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
The Epiphany acoustics website will supply these with UK/EU/US mains adapters as required so he may well ship anywhere - why not send him (Oliver) a message and ask?

I have the older version and can say that it is excellent with my Sennheiser HD650's. It is reckoned to be completely transparent, which the valve based hifiman wouldn't be. Depends what you want - fidelity or valve induced 'warmth' i.e. distortion.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
pauln said:
The Epiphany acoustics website will supply these with UK/EU/US mains adapters as required so he may well ship anywhere - why not send him (Oliver) a message and ask?

I have the older version and can say that it is excellent with my Sennheiser HD650's. It is reckoned to be completely transparent, which the valve based hifiman wouldn't be. Depends what you want - fidelity or valve induced 'warmth' i.e. distortion.

Already done , and the answer was satisfying so I'm settled towards the Epiphany . Just need the money *mosking*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di is a totally transparent DAC/amp for £180 that will drive just about any headphone you could imagine. I'm very pleased with mine. The build quality isn't the greatest but it is adequate for the price. Very good value for money indeed.

It has ultra low distortion measurements that are on a par with the £1500 Benchmark DAC/amp.

I haven't heard the other two amps that you mentioned so I can't comment on how it compares to them though.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I can't compare unfortunately as I haven't heard the Epiphany or HiFi Man amps. I have heard the MF though which I really liked. So if you have trouble getting the first choice then that would be a good purchase too.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
JoelSim said:
I can't compare unfortunately as I haven't heard the Epiphany or HiFi Man amps. I have heard the MF though which I really liked. So if you have trouble getting the first choice then that would be a good purchase too.

Thank you for your help. Reading on the net some of the reviws left me the impression that it can sound a bit shy in the bass and rather bright? Or maybe I didn't understood well ? Had you such an impression ? Could t work well with the AKG sound?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I didn't notice it being shy in the bass to be honest. Far from it. It worked very well with the MF headphones and some AIAIAI TMA-1s I have.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
According to the MF website, the MF V90 has an output impedance of 50 Ohms. MF claim that this is low, probably because low output impedance is deirable, however 50 Ohms is a long, long way from being low... laughably so in fact and makes it unsuited to any phones less than 300 Ohm impedance. If you're interested, this excellent article explains why this is so: http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

The article is science based so probably of little interest to many who post on this forum.

(NwAvGuy is the person that designed the O2DAC/Headphone amp which is made in the UK by Epiphany acoustics and in the US by JDS Labs. He claims to receive no financial benefit from sales. If you're interested there are many more science based articles concerning all things headphone on his website.)

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
pauln said:
According to the MF website, the MF V90 has an output impedance of 50 Ohms. MF claim that this is low, probably because low output impedance is deirable, however 50 Ohms is a long, long way from being low... laughably so in fact and makes it unsuited to any phones less than 300 Ohm impedance. If you're interested, this excellent article explains why this is so: http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

The article is science based so probably of little interest to many who post on this forum.

(NwAvGuy is the person that designed the O2DAC/Headphone amp which is made in the UK by Epiphany acoustics and in the US by JDS Labs. He claims to receive no financial benefit from sales. If you're interested there are many more science based articles concerning all things headphone on his website.)

Very useful article , thank you!

TRENDING THREADS