HIFI UPGRADE ADVICE PLEASE

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
What I am looking it do is upgrade my hifi not interested in surround sound. Also want to stream music from pc upstairs to my hifi downstairs. All my considerations I must admit are based on reviews and what I have read on here so I would really appreciate any advice. Here is a basic outline of what I am considering at the moment.

Budget wise up to £1500.

I have a lot of vinyl so would want to upgrade my turntable and have been considering a rega rp1 or 3.

Need some advice on an amp or maybe my old Technics can still do the job, its a SU-X911.

Think I will keep my technics cd player as I am happy with that. (SL-PJ26A)

Have also been considering the new monitor audio bronze bx2 speakers OR kEF Q300'S

To stream my music from upstairs A Dacmagic >airport express or even a onkyo tx-8050.

The hifi will be in my living room. The speakers are 2.5 meters apart and my listening point is about 2.8meters from the centre.

Thank you.

matthewpiano

My suggestion:

Rega RP3/Elys 2 £550

Squeezebox Touch £200

Your existing Technics CD player £0

Arcam rDAC £300 (connected to both the Squeezebox and the Technics)

Marantz PM6004 or NAD C326BEE £300

Monitor Audio BX2 Speakers £249

As an alternative also consider the Dali Zensor 1 speakers. I've owned BX2s and Zensor 1s and I personally prefer the Dalis, although both are excellent. What I love about the Zensor 1 is that they are totally natural, involving and very clear - incredible speakers with which I would have been happy if I'd paid 3x their cost. I've also owned KEF Q300s and even prefer the Zensor 1s to those.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
An active option to consider.

Streamer/DAC/Preamp/Amp - Onkyo TX-8050 - £300 (use pre outs to feed Mackies)

TT - Technics SL1210 - £350 (keeping to the theme)

Mackie HR824s - £872 (pair of monitors)

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/35806-mackie-hr824-hr-824-mk2-high-resolution-studio-monitors-pair.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

In reality you have a whole host of options, but do try to get a listen to the Mackies in a pro audio shop.

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that but I understand that then SB has a Dac so why would I need the Arcam. The Zensor 1s sound like an interesting option and I will check them out thanks.

matthewpiano

geordie777 said:
Thanks for that but I understand that then SB has a Dac so why would I need the Arcam. The Zensor 1s sound like an interesting option and I will check them out thanks.

Yes the SB has its own DAC and it is actually more than good enough. However, your Technics CD player may get found out by a new amp and speakers and so could benefit from the rDAC. If you buy the rDAC for the CD player you could also try it out with the SB as you would have nothing to lose.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
geordie777 said:
Thanks Overdose but sorry to be naive but what do you mean by the active option and what is the benefit of these speakers.

An active speaker is one that has amplification built in and an active crossover, so the amplifiers inside the speaker control the drivers directly, as opposed to having a passive crossover between the amp and speaker drivers.

The mere mention of 'active' speakers here, is enough to draw in an argument all on its own, however, there are very real benefits to active speakers, not least of all is the potential for a tidier and less expansive system.

With active speakers, you generally need some sort of preamp control, even digital preamps will do the job. I use a small audio interface to control my speakers and the system is remote controlled from either my laptop or an iPad. The same sort of setup could be arranged with your Pc.

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Yea thanks again that does make sense so the rDac is there to enhance the sound from the cdp. Ok sorry for my lack of knowledge but how would everything be connected up I suppose I mean what would the chain be from ie pc downwards. Would it be PC>SB>RDac>HIFI>Speakers.

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks that's a really good and clear description and a very interesting option but how would the turntable fit into the equation, and would the Onkyo be good enough to support the Mackies. I suppose I'm thinking are there better options than the Onkyo if I'm prepared to up the budget a bit.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The Onkyo would be perfectly capable of controlling the Mackies via the pre outs at the back of the amp. The Onkyo also has a phono input, so a TT should work just fine, someone else might chip in here though if this is not the case.

The Mackies were an example of some quite good pro audio monitors at a suitable price point. Budget constraints and what you wish to achieve will determine the most ideal solution, however, if you have a Pc or Mac, then you effectively have a streaming solution already, an external DAC could be added later for improved sound quality, but the Onkyo has that built in.

For any upgrade (to a point) the first place to look at for improvement, is usually the speakers, as they have the most dramtic effect in sound reproduction out of all the hifi system components.

Any more advice given by me tonight should be taken with a pinch of salt, as the effects of the 'Old Speckled Hen' are being felt as I type. :wave:

matthewpiano

No problems with Overdose's alternative solution or the Onkyo. I've had an 8050 and it is a great piece of kit. You might want to consider an external phono stage though. The Onkyo's is OK-ish but it isn't great and lacks in dynamics - my Cambridge Audio 540P was significantly better than the Onkyo phono stage, which is probably the weakest part of the amp.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
What I love about the Zensor 1 is that they are totally natural, involving and very clear - incredible speakers with which I would have been happy if I'd paid 3x their cost.

I totally agree! ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts