HiFi System for a Bedroom

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey,

I am looking in to purchasing a HiFi system for use in my bedroom, to be plugged in to a turntable and xbox 360. Primarily i am looking to get something that sounds amazing at a fairly low wattage (between 40w to 60w max at 8 ohms i think) and i want it to sound good primarily for music (which i put above films and games). I dont have very much money at all... my income is around £40 a week...

i was thinking of getting a Marantz PM6002 for £200 and couple it with a pair of Monitor Bronze BR2 speakers also for £200... is this a good coupling?

Or is there a better combination or solution for this price range? (perhaps a little bit above?)

(i was considering a low wattage 5.1 system for this price but i thought a stereo system of the same price would offer a better sound for music, am i right or should i go for a small 5.1 system?)

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas in advance

T

the record spot

Good choice indeed, though check if the amp has a phono stage (if it doesn't you'll need to think about getting one - budget £40-£60 Cambridge and Pro-Ject both do excellent budget versions- and if it does, no problem!).

A

Anonymous

ahh yes
I believe it has an MM phono stage, however i am not sure the difference between MM and MC and which i need...

T

the record spot

At your end of the spectrum (no offence meant, it's mine too!) MM will be fine. AT-95, or 110-E will do the job (budget about £25-35 for those), failing that Golding Elektra, or if funds allow, Ortofon 2M Red at £55. They'll get your system singing and your feet tapping. Check up on the tonal characteristics of each though. My AT (the 440MLa) is a bright, detailed cartridge and this might be the same with the two I mentioned; if that's not your cup of tea, the Goldrings might be a better bet.

If you're very pushed budget-wise, the Nagaoka MP11 is easily worth a punt for about £15/£20 and super value for money at that. It's been going for donkeys years!

A

Anonymous

oops i dont think i was clear enough

I have a cartridge for the deck (its an Ortofon VMS 3 MkII) not sure if its any good though, so your information will be useful if i decide to get a new cartridge in the future :) (for my Dual 505 deck if thats any good either). What i meant was, is MM the correct type for my record player?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

So long as the your phono stage is MM then it's fine. If you want to use a MC cartridge in the future you may be better off with a MM/MC Phono stage

T

the record spot

Yes, you can stick either cartridge on a record deck, generally speaking. Plug and play as it were. Well, after you've fiddled about with some little wires and screws and nuts and stuff! MCs tybegpically begin to appear on mid-to-higher end turntables.

A

Anonymous

okay i see

cheers

are the monitor bronze BR2 the best speakers for this kind of job around the £200 price mark? or are there better ones? i think this amp goes up to 45 watts per channel (at 8 ohms). i primarily want a great sound from vinyl and CDs

thanks

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
ubercooldave:
oops i dont think i was clear enough

I have a cartridge for the deck (its an Ortofon VMS 3 MkII) not sure if its any good though, so your information will be useful if i decide to get a new cartridge in the future :) (for my Dual 505 deck if thats any good either). What i meant was, is MM the correct type for my record player?

Thanks

Yep, it's a MM, and nice turntable UCDave. I'm listening to Rubber Soul on mine as we speak!

However, the Dual is fussy regarding cartridges - most people agree that the ortofon supplied as standard is the best, as the arm prefers a low-mass cartridge.

You can get replacement styli on the bay of e for a tenner or so each. I've still got my ortofon, and it does the job lovely...

A

Anonymous

hey cheers for the help FBSF!

I think the turntable is pretty sweet aswell, but i feel the sound would be better if the connectors between the cartridge and the arm werent encrusted with a suspicious white corrosive substance... is there anything i can do about this? like use cleaning alcohol of some kind? i am guessing it would clean up the sound pretty well if i tried...

thanks guys

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts