• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Hifi, soundbar or ipod dock? that is the question. Anyone got an answer?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
I'd like to boost the sound of my excellent Sony (KDL40EX503) and Blu Ray (BDP S370). However we don't want cables, so 5.1 is out and I'm on a small budget (£300-400). Mainly music and blu ray use. Must have ipod link.

I'm thinking either:

Soundbar, Yamaha etc. or

Ipod dock, B&W Zeppelin or

HiFi Seperates. Marantz PM6003 plus Q acoustic speakers 2020?.

Can anyone please advise the best way to go? and any sure fire hits for either category other than my examples.

Thanks !

T

the record spot

Harman Kardon HK980, or Yamaha's new RX-V667 AV receiver, both apparently excellent, and get some Q Acoustics 1030is, or similar. You'll get plenty of punch (the HK980's got 80wpc, the Yammy does up to 140) good sound quality and whatever speakers you go for should have a decent bit of bass on them if they're half decent.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

Heard the sound bar, nice sound, but tends to feel confined. I think I'm erring on the amp/speaker package.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a bit new to Hifi stuff, so looked up your suggestions. Great idea suggesting a cinema amp, I hadn't thought of one ! (duh! yeah I don't know much...). I may check out the Sony aswell as the Yamaha amps, as they both test well.

Great ideas, thanks

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
One question worth asking is - how large is your room and what are the dimensions? Sound bars can work reasonably well in some rooms but in other size spaces a 2 channel set-up might actually sound better with movies.

A

Anonymous

Largeish lounge room. 7x5metres. Wood floors and solid walls. I had a sony DVD 5.1 system prior to Blu ray, which was just OK for DVD but dissapointing for Hifi sound. I have a feeling an amp with more muscle would fill the room better.

I'm erring on a cinema amp (sony STR810 or Yamaha RXV667) with bookshelf speakers (Monitor Audio Bronze/q Acoustics 1020's or similar). With cinema amp, I 'm thinking I'd get better quality sound more movies with the power for playing music also.

Am I heading in the right direction?

If I lived a bit closer to your shop I'd drop in...

Thanks !

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
It's always difficult to know what another person finds acceptable in terms of sound quality, my daughter will listen to music of very poor quality and love it, whereas I will long ago have given up and started reading a book.

I've use both a stereo and av amp for movie sound. Each has it's own advantages. My av system is really poor when it comes to hifi sound (£1500 av amp and £1500ish speakers) but is obvious great with movies. My experience with even a cheap stereo is that it sounds better with music and really not too bad at all with movies - so this is probably where you need to be headed. The fact is that to get the full experience of thumps and bumps in movies using a stereo you are either going to need floor standing full range speakers, or a 2.1 system with a sub-woofer, which is probably a more expensive and compromised solution. Otherwise it's going to be a bit of a lightweight movie experience. If sound quality is what you want then floorstanders are in my opinion preferable.I've not used any form of sound bar, so I am not able to give an opinion on them.

In terms of an amp with ipod dock/charger it's down to how much you want to spend and what ipod/iphone you are using. Check that your ipod/iphone will work and charge while its on the dock, my iphone 4 doesn't like my old docking stations.

Lastly does your tv/blu-ray have a stereo output?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice. After several demo's of soundbars, ipod docks and higher end 5.1 systems. I have gone for athe Yam 367 AV Amp plus Cambridge audio's s30's as set up as a 5.1 system. CA speakers seemed to get excellent reviews and sound better than some more pricier models. Also fit into the budget !

Thanks and Happy Christmas listening !

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts