HiFi setup sounds muffled

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi

Just hooked up my dad's old Technics amp and CD-player to my speakers. Upon playing I first noticed at first the sound was muffled, now there's this pronounced crackling.

This is my setup:

- Technics SU-V570 Amplifier
- Technics SL-P377 CD Player
- Q Acoustics 2050i Speakers

My speakers are second hand, but they worked just fine when I tested them. I know the guy I bought them from too, he really takes care of his equipment. So I'm prone to rule out the possibility that there's something wrong with the speakers.

The amplifier and CD-player haven't been playing for a couple of years, on top of being over 20 years old. How would those components behave if something were broken? Is it possible that just the trebles don't work anymore, or would it just flat out stop working?

Thanks!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Try one of the other inputs AUX etc.

Make sure it's not in the phono/turntable input, which will sound distorted.

I use to have a similar Technics - it had a built in fan though that kicked in at high volume.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
There could be a few things causing these issues. The crackling could be a poor connection (are all conections secure?) Due to age the pots and terminals on the amp could be crackly due to dry solder joints and/or dust.

Also the capacitors in the amp could be past their best now, which won't be helping anything.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts