HiFi Project working with AV setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I want to setup a really nice hifi kit for my living room which currently has my entertainment system. Hifi really floats my boat and makes me happy so I want to make an investment. I've been looking at Arcam's pre/power amps with Monitor Audio RS6s. The AV system, however, I want it to sound good, play a movie or two, but it doesn't do it for me like a great two channel system does.

Is my best bet keeping the two systems completely separate? Is there a way to use the same speaker setup for both? Would a Arcam or some other A/V reciever be the right option? What would you suggest I look at?

A

Anonymous

I have achieved a really good set up on both music/radio/TV/Films.

I do have a preference to the Onkyo's 875 and upwards because they have a 'class A' design (think Sugden) and top of the range DAC's (Burr Brown).

The MA RS6 AV package is very well put together and has a lovely veneer finish to it.

However to achieve an open and involving musical performance the massive transformer it has :) needs to have as clean a mains supply as you can give it. (that really applies to all AV amps but the transformers in most of them are much smaller)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've yet to hear a home cinema system that plays music as good as dedicated 2ch (2.1) hifi. I also yet have to hear a dedicated stereo system that makes good music using Monitor Audio's lower range speakers ... I can only imagine how music would sound with AV stuff plus MA silver though I'm sure they are adequate for HT.

As to 'an open' musical performance, I'd urge you to put something like PMC's baby DB1i or any Dynaudio speaker next to an RS6 with a good source/amp and it will make the MA's sound veiled and shut in. Trevor79 apparently has 'modified' his so perhaps they sound different. I hope so for him.

Having said all this, I haven't heard as many AV systems as stereo ones and
there are quite a few here that seem to like the RS6. I've also read some good things lately about onkyo's top receivers though they are around 1.5k and that is serious integrated amplifier price territory but I could'nt comment on which one is better as I haven't heard the onkyo. To dismiss these top AV receivers out of hand would probably be wrong but I'd love to read a comparison between those top amps and similarely priced 2 channel amplifiers.

My opinion only
and you may disagree.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
slack:

I want to setup a really nice hifi kit for my living room which currently has my entertainment system. Hifi really floats my boat and makes me happy so I want to make an investment. I've been looking at Arcam's pre/power amps with Monitor Audio RS6s. The AV system, however, I want it to sound good, play a movie or two, but it doesn't do it for me like a great two channel system does.

Is my best bet keeping the two systems completely separate? Is there a way to use the same speaker setup for both? Would a Arcam or some other A/V reciever be the right option? What would you suggest I look at?

If you use an AV amp with a Stereo amp which IMO is the best way and you use the same front speakers.You set it up as follows

1) The front left and right preouts of the A/V Receiver go to an input on the stereo amp (Tape 2 for example)
2) Some stereo amps (not many) have a fixed-level input especially for this purpose so you can miss this step out: set the volume of your stereo amp to about 10 o'clock and run your speaker calibration routine on the receiver. Then always use this volume setting on the stereo amp whenever you watch AV - overall volume is handled by the receiver.
3) When watching AV, have both amps on - the stereo amp will handle the front speakers, the AV amp will handle the rest.
4) When playing stereo, the AV amp is out of the equation so won;t degrade the sound.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles:slack:

If you use an AV amp with a Stereo amp which IMO is the best way and you use the same front speakers.You set it up as follows

1) The front left and right preouts of the A/V Receiver go to an input on the stereo amp (Tape 2 for example)
2) Some stereo amps (not many) have a fixed-level input especially for this purpose so you can miss this step out: set the volume of your stereo amp to about 10 o'clock and run your speaker calibration routine on the receiver. Then always use this volume setting on the stereo amp whenever you watch AV - overall volume is handled by the receiver.
3) When watching AV, have both amps on - the stereo amp will handle the front speakers, the AV amp will handle the rest.
4) When playing stereo, the AV amp is out of the equation so won;t degrade the sound.

This is how mine is set up (I have an amp that allows the fixed level input). The RS6s are great speakers. You will always have your detractors and Drummerman is one of them - he knows his stuff and likes all my other kit though!! All I can say is that music sounds pretty damn good in my living room and the AV sound is amazing.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
I've yet to hear a home cinema system that plays music as good as dedicated 2ch (2.1) hifi. I also yet have to hear a dedicated stereo system that makes good music using Monitor Audio's lower range speakers ... I can only imagine how music would sound with AV stuff plus MA silver though I'm sure they are adequate for HT.

As to 'an open' musical performance, I'd urge you to put something like PMC's baby DB1i or any Dynaudio speaker next to an RS6 with a good source/amp and it will make the MA's sound veiled and shut in. Trevor79 apparently has 'modified' his so perhaps they sound different. I hope so for him.

Having said all this, I haven't heard as many AV systems as stereo ones and
there are quite a few here that seem to like the RS6. I've also read some good things lately about onkyo's top receivers though they are around 1.5k and that is serious integrated amplifier price territory but I could'nt comment on which one is better as I haven't heard the onkyo. To dismiss these top AV receivers out of hand would probably be wrong but I'd love to read a comparison between those top amps and similarely priced 2 channel amplifiers.

My opinion only
and you may disagree.

A well considered post Drummerman and against the PMC's you are quite right.
Without modifications and system tweaks unless you have extremely deep pockets it is not easy getting a decent Cyrus stereo performance out of an AV system.
The MA RS series are a well designed speaker range that are made down to a very competitive price IMO. But the old adage 'you get what you pay for' certainly applies to the budget crossover components. Spend a little money on replacing the foam with long haired wool and using Clarity SA's and Mundorf Foil coils in the crossovers and you have a high end sound with clarity, timing, pace, and detail ousing out and hanging notes from a piano (for instance) in the air.

AV amps big problem is in dealing with 7x200w and the smearing effect it has on the pre amp sections. You don't need to mess about inside the box, but you do need to spend money on proper mains conditioning, and I am not talking about a lead, although they help.

Feed a cheap DAC with a clean signal and it will be a big improvement, feed a good DAC with a clean signal and it will blow you away.

Pity you can't come and have a listen to my system.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input! Sounds like what I should look for are amps that support the fixed level input.

Much appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts