Hifi in a conservatory ?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Unless you have a roof vent (automatic with heat sensor) don't do it.

I used to have a micro system in mine and the voice coils melted in the sun - I put a thermometer in there, and when it was 25deg outside it got to 65deg inside.

either that, or put the speakers as low down as possible, but even then it can be risky...

As for the glass, it is likely to sound a bit echoey and bright... Arcam and some old 70s speakers maybe ?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Could you have the separates system in the adjoing room and just ruin the speakers in the conservatory?

Thats what we do with my other Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp and Arcam alpha 8SE CDP. Running a set of AE100 speakers in the conservatory on Atacama Nexus 6 stands.

Sounds really nice but cant have it too loud or else it gets boomy but also can be heard fairly clearly outside too haha

A

Anonymous

I will put the speakers on the stands, it has a high roof so hopefully it wont be too hot at speaker level !

I want to seperate the rooms so that someone can watch tv in one room and others can listen to music in the conservatory without disturbing eachother.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Kestrel:
I will put the speakers on the stands, it has a high roof so hopefully it wont be too hot at speaker level !

I want to seperate the rooms so that someone can watch tv in one room and others can listen to music in the conservatory without disturbing eachother.

Why not buy some good quality headphones & headphone amp.

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
i have mine in the conservatory, have the roof vents but not auto, also make sure you have blinds all the way round your conservatory, these are always fully closed when were away (security too) and the temp never goes more than 10 deg c above outside ambient, also have a celing fan ... remote control of course

as for kit getting hot......well it does when you use it anyway......

when i open the conservatory doors fully the speakers fire out onto the patio and it sounds great when wacked up for a bbq :)

PS: thats it you have me thing now........must have a barbie tonight......anyone want to come over for beer and fodder??

A

Anonymous

I would imagine a total nightmare, all that reflective glass bouncing the sound around, I can't imagine anything worse. I would use very small speakers with bass that rolls of at around 100Hz, which has no bass to speak of, other wise I believe your going to get a very boomy sound with no imaging, what size is it?

A

Anonymous

Do they have glass roofs as well?

The B&W though small might be OK, the port "may" cause some problems and make the bass sound a lot louder.

Your axil modes for example, (the modes that travel down the room) are 34Hz 48Hz 86Hz, I don't know what B&W go down to, but maybe the 48Hz may excite them and being glass it may exaggerate the problem, I think in conservatories you just put garden type furniture? (Not sure, not from UK)

A

Anonymous

PS_ Those calculations are based on a 2 metre high roof. I just guessed it.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have no boom what so ever and the AE100's are renowned for their bass even tho theyre small boxes!

You have to make sure you've got the speaker positioning right and make sure theyre on good, mass loaded stands!

Theyre obviously going to 'boom' when you crank up the amp; all speakers do eventually but if youve got your system for the conservatory im sure its going to be more of an 'easy listening' room that full out party unless as someopne said above, BBQ and guests round :)

A

Anonymous

It will be more easy listening , however there will be BBQ's and 80's music blaring at times. I have got speaker stands but they are not filled , is it normal sand that goes in them ?

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
mine is just a bit larger, the roof isnt glass but its some sort of clear plastic/composite....

also 1 of the smaller walls isnt a wall but is the dining room and another wall is a wall ie bricks not glass, also remember that not whole walls are glass but are about 2/3 glass as the first couple of feet are brick.

fianlly i do have furnature in the room and its normal sitting room stuff so a sofa etc...as its used as a second sitting room. so i have one room for music and one for TV/films :)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Our conservatory is 3 glass sides (windows) all sat on a brick wall base and the last wall the the adjoing house wall.

The speakers are sat on the speaker along the house wall so that they have a better 'rear bounce' for the sound so to speak.

If youre going to mass load your stands i will always recommed Atacama Atabites.

I've used sand before and the sound is ok. The Atabites do make a world of difference.

A

Anonymous

mine will be similar to your, normal furniture, a room for music and another for TV/films.

I have two brick walls and the speakers will be placed against one of the brick walls.

A

Anonymous

Remember the B&W have a bigger main driver than the AE100 which uses a 110MM main driver so they are not really going to boom in the first place. If it's for non critical listening it will probably be OK, but with all that glass and brick there it will seriously distort the true sound at any volume, it's just highly reflective and the sound waves are going to be crashing of the glass and brick wall, these are not adsorbent materials.

You could add some adsorbent materials into the room to help plus also if possible some thick curtains, your room is similar to mine in size, plus I had glass down one side, it took a lot of work to get the speakers to sound correct.

A

Anonymous

I would imagine a couple of thick rugs will help and normal furniture rather that lightweight wicker furniture. It will take some experimenting to get the best sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts