Hifi heaven - at much cheaper than retail

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
I have recently finished putting together a system which I could wholeheartedly recommend to anyone - and I did it for not much more than 70% of retail price.

I got hold of an ex-demo Rega Saturn CD player, and initially had it paired with B&W 686 speakers and a Rega Brio 3 amp, which were obviously some way below its league. I spent ages looking for an amp and speakers to go with the Saturn and after initially looking at around the £800 level, I soon realised I needed to go up a bracket or two to make the change worthwhile. 

After trying out various combinations, I have eventually plumped for B&W 805S speakers and a Leema Pulse amp - and it's just breathtaking. Not only that, but I have managed to put together the whole system for £2700 - which is £1300 less than list price. It just goes to show there are bargains out there if you look hard enough.

I couldn't be happier - and I would recommend the system to anyone. The only thing I don't understand is why What Hifi still haven't reviewed the Saturn because it really is a stunning player.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i put my sysem together using products that had recently been replaced by newer models - all bought brand new boxed from dealers - the pl100s were classed as inperfect on back of one speaker is a 1inch black mark that you really have to look for.

xray cdp and dac £1800, mf a5cr pre £1500, 2 x Arcam P35s £1800 and MA PL100s and standa £2800 - £7900

paid £3720 from memory give or take a little

A

Anonymous

I also put together my main system, all new, for well under original RRP.

Epos M5 - £250 (£350)
M sub - £350 (£650)
Kandy pairing - £780 (£1300 ish)

Quite pleased!

A

Anonymous

my speakers were full price as b&w 685'S seem to be popular and quite rare in black, they wouldn't even discount a demo pair! so they were full rrp, but i got my NAD326BEE amp which is 325+ list price for 260 so i saved 65 there lol, what places are best to look for hifi bargains? i wanted to buy all my stuff new because i want a guarantee and perfect condition products, as ive bought things second hand before and been sorely disappointed. im looking for a CA DacMagic and airport express, anyone know any good deals?

T

the record spot

Many dealers will offer a warranty of sorts for secondhand (Billy Vee for instance offers one yuear in most cases), others might not offer a warranty but know the value of keeping the customer satisfied, so you can take it back and exchange.

End of line kit generates healthy discounts too, see Cyrus who routinely knock around £200 off their last generation kit. They require their dealers to pass this on too, which is why you see so much of these deals on the go for more or less the same amounts.

Timing helps, so now would be a good time to buy. Shrewd timing, or spotting a bargain doesn't go wrong either. I listed in another thread recently, but here's my current kit and price paid against RRP:-

Marantz PM6010-KI £330 / £400
Marantz SA7001-KI £300 / £650 (not B or Graded stock either, but new and boxed)
Mission 752 £78 / £500 (bought off Ebay last November, guy closed the sale at 3pm on a weekday)

About £710 as opposed to £1500 all in.

Like most things, the legwork and a bit of luck in your favour helps things along. Plus knowing your subject a bit and a realistic value of what your desired kit might go for secondhand (also falls under legwork I guess). And don't be tempted to rush it!

scubasteve

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
I just picked up a 1 yr old classe cap-2100 int amp for 1300 quid vs retail at 4k. i am so happy with it driving my b&w 805s. i just need to find a great source. any ideas?

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:i put my sysem together using products that had recently been replaced by newer models - all bought brand new boxed from dealers

this is what i did too - there is often a short window just before a new range is due out where you can get a huge discount on dealer items if they want to shift stock. my Arcams were £690 each when a few weeks previous they were selling over £1200

ok you dont have the brand new model but often changes are not that significant and certainly the price you get offered can be hard to resist

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Most products have gone up in the past 2-3 months, especially the 805's. Any ex dem items being sold off at the moment would've been bought at the old prices, so the potential for savings against the RRP's is quite high at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts