HiFi Corner . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
:?
CJSF said:
Moving on to the next post with a pic! in a minuite . . . frustrating aint it :bounce:

Here we are . . .

600HiFicornerrw2.jpg

'My HiFi corner', the first part of the mission is complete . . . cartridge is coming up to 40 hours needle time, it sounding very good, much smoother than I thought it was going to be. The smoothness kicked in around 25-30hrs. So at 30 hours a tweak. The cartridge weighs 9gs, which puts the 100gs counter weight a long way from the arm bearing. So a 130gs ISOweight was substituted, the improvement was worth the £40. I remember when I changed originaly to these aysammetric counter weights, sceptical I was . . . but trust me, they do work and moving the weight to within 2 or 3mm, of the arm bearing housing shoulder equaly works.

I had been working on re using part of the old cupboard/shelfs to put the amp on . . . mainly because we could not find a suitable replacement, at a realistic price. Popped into town on Saturday to Iceland, next door was the 'Heart Foundation' charity shop, this pine cupboard was on display. I gave it a measure up, price, colour, ticked all the boxes . . . almost? . . . :? remove an 1" from the 43" long 1.5" solid wood top . . . it fitted like a glove, made for the job.

A bit of fussing over the verious cables, and we were all set . . . sit and have listen. Call me biased and enthusiastic but it sounds great, way better that the original cupboard, and I can hear things I have neaver heard before. Imagining it? . . . thats the obvious thought 'of course its better' . . . I dont think so, I am honest enough with myself to have back tracked before after a change. The testing question was can I listen over a long period . . . I cant get enough of it:dance:

An element I was not expecting, last night, I popped a Spotify album on, just for half an hour of convenience . . . Spotify was sounding particularly good:? No change, apart from the new cupboard arangement, is the solid wood cupboard having an effect in the job of suporting the amplifyer? Been here before, 'the whole is greater that the sum of the parts' . . . ????

I would hesitate to stand and say how good my system is, we all think ours is the best? However one thing is for certain, my system is certainly very satifying for 'me' musicaly, and from a hifi perspective, it is also floating my boat . . . :cheers:

All I need now is a couple of pictures in the alcove above the hifi to set things off. The on going question, what will happen what the Sumiko comes back home????

CJSF

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
...No change, apart from the new cupboard arangement, is the solid wood cupboard having an effect in the job of suporting the amplifyer? Been here before, 'the whole is greater that the sum of the parts' . . . ????
Early last year I moved my amp and CDP from a metal unit with glass shelves to a solid wood unit and I noticed the difference instantly. Much more approachable sound..not as clinical and forced. Was it expectation bias? No, I didn't expect to hear any difference, the decision to change was purely for aesthetic reasons. I wasn't consciously nor even subconsciously listening for a difference. Maybe it's a 'Peter Belt' effect, where the sound of your/my amp hasn't really changed in a measurable sense, but putting it on different furniture effects how our ears perceive its sound. I don't know really, I'm just throwing around random thoughts. But I know I heard a difference, so I can accept you have too.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
CJSF said:
...No change, apart from the new cupboard arangement, is the solid wood cupboard having an effect in the job of suporting the amplifyer? Been here before, 'the whole is greater that the sum of the parts' . . . ????
Early last year I moved my amp and CDP from a metal unit with glass shelves to a solid wood unit and I noticed the difference instantly. Much more approachable sound..not as clinical and forced. Was it expectation bias? No, I didn't expect to hear any difference, the decision to change was purely for aesthetic reasons. I wasn't consciously nor even subconsciously listening for a difference. Maybe it's a 'Peter Belt' effect, where the sound of your/my amp hasn't really changed in a measurable sense, but putting it on different furniture effects how our ears perceive its sound. I don't know really, I'm just throwing around random thoughts. But I know I heard a difference, so I can accept you have too.

Thanks for that MF . . . I realy did wonder if I was loosing the plot????

Its lunch time now, I'm listen to Spotify, its sounding very good, curently listening to Don Gibson, we do like our counrty music. . . 8)

CJSF

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Sabby said:
I think it's the fancy lace cloth on the cupboard that's making all the difference ;)

I have to agree . The improvement in sound has nothing to do with changing the cupboard his hifi is sitting on but the isolating effect that the lace gives . He may have hit on the secret to eternal hifi happiness without even realising it !

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I'm thinking about a whole new sales stratergy selling 'Lace Isolators' to the hifi gullible, money for old rope . . . :twisted:

Not as silly as it sounds, I have been using felt cloth isolators for a long time . . . 8)

CJSF

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking £49.99 for a double-width lace which can comfortably accomodate two full-size hifi components side by side with 3" space between and a similar overlap each end, or £29.99 for single width. Cyrus owners will be able to buy half-width laces for £19.99 each. Or is all that a bit cheap :?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I'm thinking £49.99 for a double-width lace which can comfortably accomodate two full-size hifi components side by side with 3" space between and a similar overlap each end, or £29.99 for single width. Cyrus owners will be able to buy half-width laces for £19.99 each. Or is all that a bit cheap :?

:twisted: £££££££! . . . . 8)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just had a call from Dominic of Northwest Analogue . . . my Sumiko is re tiped and ready, sounding great with its Fritz Gyger II stylus says Dom. Head to head between Benz and Sumiko is coming up . . .

A trip to Preston needs to be aranged?

CJSF

Had another looooong conversation with Dominic today, he has given my Sumiko a few more hours needle time, 'he is impressed', being the first Sumiko Celebration he has worked on . . . He compared it to a £2000 cartridge and doing a lot that the Kuetsu at that level can do . . . :? Praise indeed, I cant wait for Thursday when I pick it up 8)

The question is coming into my mind that has been posted befor; at the time I was confident the original Sumiko was not over egging the Rega pudding, now, I have a '?' in my mind, can Rega's simple, solid enginereing rise to the occasion? . . . we will see . . .

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Had a long chat today with Dominic of Northweast Analogue. We aranged for me to collect the re tipped Sumiko on Thursday, he is curently running-in the new stylus. He says he is very impressed with the Sumiko, being the first Celebration he has worked on. Dominics assesment; it is performing in the rarified air of a £2000 cartridge, displaying shades of Koetsu at that price level . . . praise indeed.

Raises the issue, will the Rega deck/arm be up to the job??? I was confident originaly of the modified Regas abilities when I first obtained the Sumiko Celebration. I hope this faith remains solid, roll on Thursday . . . :bounce:

There is one thing for sure, the original trade in price I paid plus the £250 re tip cost, makes it a bargain!!!

Next question, how will the Sumiko and Benz shape up head to head???

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts