Hifi corner with . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Here we go, the proper thread . . .

HiFi corner at CJSF Towers, the work is done for the time being:

500Hificornerbetterlightingrw.jpg

Quart in a pint pot? all a bit tight, we ar thinking of outing the Rega Apollo for the new half width model, I have been advised the performance of the new one is very close to the 'Satern'. Double gain, better visuals and improved sound quality?

500fullviewHificoenerwithdogrw.jpg

A wider view of hifi corner. Dog Oliver taking my position, 'showing loads of interest' . . . ? Yep, I have been known to 'rest my eyes'.

Thats it for a while . . . ?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Very nice CJ............I thought Dog Oliver was strategically placed to help the acoustics!

. . . dont tell him that Cno, he would argue the point! he's not at all happy when I move him to sit down! Note the 'we are thinking of outing the CD', the royal 'we', it was Hazels sugestion . . . can you hear me complaning??????? Well I might, the the CD is sounding very good, just come back from Rega . . . I might prefer to try an EAR834p, apportioning funds? I am such a vinyl junckie . . . ? ah, then the CD can come later8)

CJSF

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I reckon that looks great!

Wish I genuinely knew people who were into hifi.

Everyone I know thinks hifi begins and ends with their Matsui* iPod dock.

(*other cheap nasty brands are available.)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I reckon that looks great!

Wish I genuinely knew people who were into hifi.

Everyone I know thinks hifi begins and ends with their Matsui* iPod dock.

(*other cheap nasty brands are available.)

Hi MF, I dont know anyone interested in hifi either, pity there are not hifi clubs, like there are fishing clubs, photo clubs, model flying clubs . . . all of which I do or have belonged to, but a hifi club, no such thing. I seem to remember there were music apreciation societies, I was a menber of a rather informal groupe on our estate back in the 80's. We used to meet at each others houses weekly, on a Tuesday night. Literaly a dying breed, I'm the last one left. I was the only hifi nut, they were a bit like I am now, decent hifi but the music is all important.

Sadly the down load way has killed the passion and interest one feels, killing the shops too?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm beginning to get the hang of things now I think, the amps are realy settling in, the new Audiomods arm is getting better by the record. It requires some real LTC, with slight agustments, tiny changes, they are all significant in heading towards the final setup.

The system as a whole seems to be going this route, a small tweak hear, a tiny change there, fractional changes that on their own are not significant but 'the sum of the whole' make it all worth while. A significant change this morning; put the TT through the 'tape input' . . . advised in the 'amp destructions' as the shortest, least interupted signal path. Another change is ballancing the phono stage volume control against the Stereo 40 own intigrated volume control, sugested by Floyd Droyd, amazing how much this helps.

In the couple of weeks I have had the 'Icon Stereo 40', we have come from very good, to bl**dy amazing. Much of the fiddling, tweaking and balancing has been to produce a sound presentation that we like, some would say 'better', I say 'to our satisfaction' . . . however there are changes that I put in the 'better' cattegory, tiny yes, but as above the 'sum of the whole' is a plus, a move forward.

I had planed to have a final session with the 'Croft Basic Micro intigrated amp', unfortunaly, circumstances did not allow. My meory is, dynamic, detailed but the true valve sound is the job of a full valve amplifier . . . that bit of solid state dilutes the final presentation IMHO. Time to move on . . .

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Been doing a bit of A/B'ing this afternoon, CD's are real pants, is it the repaired Rega player, the CD input on the amp . . . or the CD. Fortunatly its the CD's, I have a few vinyl/CD copies, so comparisons can esaily be made, most of my duplicates are good a true to their vinyl siblings . . . almost;) So it aint the CD input on the amp, I started casting my net wider, found good, bad and a wast of space. Some of my vinyl takes a lot to be desired too.

In fact I have found a couple of CD's that as near as makes no differance, matches to the vinyl pressing, notably, Jeniffer Warness, 'Famous Blue Rain Coat', a standard that I have use for vinyl both in my previous life and now. I talked to my friendly Rega Dealer, Dave Wren at Radlett Audio who sent the CDp back for me. 'Did they make any upgrades'? He did not know, he said, but the latest mechanisam was instaled and a few components changed. So who knows, but it does sound good with the right CD. By the way, no Rega made no charge for the repair, just handling and postage, which these days is horendouse at £60, £35 of that was couriou chages, then then VAT, dont leave much for 'handling' . . . hats off to Rega.

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
I think so, 10 watts, dust and damping? . . . in or under, what kind?

CJSF

Thats the badger :grin:.

The damping effect varies according to your location. My dust is quite special as it is full of China Clay , lol.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
We had a session last night (Horlicks hour) amp in 'Triode mode', choosing only accustic music, stuff like Eva Cassidy, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Miserere, it was a bit late and I was tierd . . . but I herad enough to want to investigate further today, the 'destructions' get quite excited about the amps abilities in triode mode.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
We had a session last night (Horlicks hour) amp in 'Triode mode', choosing only accustic music, stuff like Eva Cassidy, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Miserere, it was a bit late and I was tierd . . . but I herad enough to want to investigate further today, the 'destructions' get quite excited about the amps abilities in triode mode.

CJSF

Ah well, had a listen, triodes are not my cup of tea, the base is not good, midrange is very delicate and engaging as is the higher frequancies, a bit limiting on music choice . . . stick with ulteralinear mode.

CJSF

Bod

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
I dont know anyone interested in hifi either, pity there are not hifi clubs, like there are fishing clubs, photo clubs, model flying clubs . . . all of which I do or have belonged to, but a hifi club, no such thing.

Start your own. I had a pretty successfull Vinyl listening night with friends over the weekend. I was surprised at how many people had records when they don't own a record player. Six or seven people were keen on doing regular record based socials and a couple are now looking into getting thier own systems. And that's just my mates. So I'd say start a club, why not?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts