hifi components vs home cinema

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
just wondering what are the pros and cons of a hifi seperates system vs one of the popular home cinema systems sold for use with tv's ???

my main concern is playing cd albums, but also would be nice to watch a movie and have a decent sound system occasionaly

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If you're not concerned with surround sound, go for a stereo integrated amp - you'll get much better stereo performance for your money and it will easily be good enough for TV use.
Obviously if you do want surround sound, an AV amp is your only option.

A

Anonymous

Hat's a professor. Heed his advice.

I recently auditioned a Yamaha RXV1800 which is clearly no slouch, the surround was very nice (busted out my energy act5's), but I simply couldn't countenance the musical performance. Then I tried an Onkyo 905 which was 'bout the same for surround I guess maybe better if anything, my 5.1 speakers aren't so good so I can't overly critique that, but again I was appalled and the tinny music coming out of the B posts. So THEN I went back to yamaha and tried an RXV3900, still no dice! Although quite an improvement on the first two. I've gotta say... even when fielding fairly high-hitting surround amps from a mainline manufacturer... I think they do stereo about as well as absolute entry-fi.

Long story short, if your focus is albums, 5.1-3.1=STEREO.

A

Anonymous

With the equipment plugged in out of the box, I agree, your findings are spot on.

The problem with AV amps (less so with stereo) is the complexity of the circuitry with the signal paths being more complexed, along with high power outputs over 7 channels. Add to this the transformers VA rating and collectively the low reservoir capacitance (over 7 channels) you end up with a lot of noise in the signal path losing detail, crispness, timing.

However if one takes a leaf out of Russ Andrews book ( along with Cyrus's PSX units ) and invest in a large Mains transformer and plug that into the amp you get a total transformation.
The signal path becomes (high end) pure, it has a totally smooth Mains which allows the music to flow as it was recorded.

So you can get the best of both worlds if you want. The Hi Fi revolution with the advent of Hard drives, dacs and a good power supplies is totally changing the cost of 'High End' quality CD based music. It's available to everyone if they think outside the box a little.

A

Anonymous

Hi what is the difference between an AV and stereo amp? Sorry I'm new to this

A

Anonymous

7 Channels v 2 Channels, plus far more processing circuitry.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Here's a link to WHF's reviews of AV amplifiers and here's a link to the reviews for stereo integrated amps. AV amps are made specifically for home cinema and surround (i.e. 5.1 or 7.1 speakers which consists of 5 or 7 speakers laid out around the listener to surround him and a subwoofer to cover deep bass that's often present in movies). Stereo amps are literally designed to provide stereo, usually for hi-fi and music, but there's no reason why you can't use one to bolster your TV sound.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Depends on the player and what you're hooking it into. I think most players have stereo outputs (RCA phono) so you could hook these up to any amp and get stereo. Some don't however, and you would therefore need an AV amp which can accept whatever output it has (e.g. optical or HDMI). If you only had 2 speakers connected to this AV amp, then the amp itself should output whatever signal it receives as stereo.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:Depends on the player and what you're hooking it into. I think most players have stereo outputs (RCA phono) so you could hook these up to any amp and get stereo. Some don't however, and you would therefore need an AV amp which can accept whatever output it has (e.g. optical or HDMI). If you only had 2 speakers connected to this AV amp, then the amp itself should output whatever signal it receives as stereo.

I have a Bluray disc - John Legend in concert. The sound is good via hdmi to all channels, however, when I listen to it through my DAC and stereo amp, it sounds amazing.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the info, nice to learn the difference. my primary focus is music so i think a stereo amp is best and i could still plug the tv into it to improve on the standard tv speakers. i'm not so fussed about surround sound and subwoofers, plus all the extra wires puts me off too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts