Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
my current set-up consists of

Arcam alpha 7 cd player,

Yamaha DSP-AX750SE Amp,

Celstion avp 305 surround speakers,

MJ Accoustic Pro 50 MKII sub

A little back ground.

i originally had apair of KEF 35.2, Which i passed onto my cousin when i purchased the celestion Satallites. As pleased as i am with sourround sound i was never really happy with music. My sub blew up late last year, this is when i picked upmy current sub. upon entering the shop i explained my dilema as i was toying with getting a better s/sound speaker package, but was convinced by the salesman that a sub for now then front speakers later would be the better way to go.

so that brings me to now, having heard my kefs at my cousins, the uncles tdl's, and a pair of royds, all within the last month, i have decided that once i have finished wroking my knackers of this xmas, i will treat myself to a set of hifi speakers.

this is where you guys come in, i have my sub wired up with both a rca for movie and a speakon for listening in 'pure' mode, so i'm after a set that doesn't matter too much if the bass isn't as low or tight as others, more the fact that it has the clarity for the mod top. so with this in mind i am happy with either a floorstander, or a stand mount. budget is around £500. not fixed but doesn't want to majorly over this. including stands!!!

ones' i think i should try to listen to are the B+W 685, Kef IQ5SE, Quad 11l, MJ Accousitcs Xeno front and center as these will/should tie in nicely with the sub.

thoughts please !

Any others?

the plan is to then work at saving for a new cd-player, then amp. Would this be the way you would recommend?

thanks for your time, much appreciated

Dave

A

Anonymous

anyone?

am i on the right tracks?

has anyone heard the xeno set-up?

any bargins that could be worth trying to get a listen?

A

Anonymous

cheers for the nod on the Mezzo

will update when i get ronud to making my purchase. feel free to add any others.

Dave

A

Anonymous

Just to update, so far i have listend to

xeno - good for surround but definatly not what i'm after for Hifi

Quad 11l - wasn't keen seemed very safe

Quad 21l - liked these very much

but...

the B+W 685. stole the show

but.........

after having a 'little' discussion with the wife, it's gonna have to be floor standers only i'm afraid. especially with the 685's being big, and most stands being 'industrial' she wasn't having any of it.
emotion-9.gif
. she thought i was just getting new satallites
emotion-43.gif

back to drawing board a little.

liked the quad 21l

need to listen to the KEF IQ5SE

has anyone heard the new KEF IQ50? with the 5se being a discountinued range they are only available in limted colours, in limted places so getting to hear one is proving hard

any other floorstanders at the £500 pound mark or under, starting at price or reduced to (the quad 21l2 was £700!! now £499) Doesn't have to be the bassiest of cabs as running with a sub. i'm more intrested in the open mid top.

Cheers

T

the record spot

Mission e34s are on offer for around half-price. Not reviewed much, but a taut bass, apparently excellent midrange and decent treble are worth considering.

There's the ever popular KEFs which are a neat speaker both in build and sound. Stylish construction might be popular with your other half too. For sonics, but not build, see Q Acoustics 1050i - but a lot of speaker for the money, so might be kyboshed by your wife!

A

Anonymous

anyone heard the Focal chorus 714v? just had some of their car speakers put in my van and very impressed. never heard of them before, My car shop recommended them to me, and when looking on their website noticed they do home audio as well. from what little i can find , they seem to be worth a listen.

so anyone with any experiance of these? also waiting reply back as to where in greater amnchester i can listen to some!!!! so if any knows please let me know.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
For that price bracket i think you'd be best going down the 2nd hand route via eBay or other Hifi online sales/forums and aim for the M/A RS6's

Gorgeous looking floorstanders and they offer a superb soundstage.

Shame you cant go for the B&W 685's. Gorgeous speakers and i dont think theyre that big at all! Hell of a lot smaller than their predecessors!

A

Anonymous

went and another listen with the wife today and tested the quad 21l against the Kef IQ7SE with the Mj sub, and as much as i liked the quads, more for their looks as anything else, the kefs stole it in my personal opion. just seemed to be more revealing where as the quads seemed 'safe', and un exciting. very nice and smooth but didn't make me listen. And with the kef at £400 which is £100 cheaper than the quads it's looking like the 7se to me. she prefered the kefs as well without me mentioning, prices or my persoanl prefrence so........

i still want to listen to the 5se, as they appear to be good value, and the focal chorus 714v, but i would quite hapily stop testing and go for the 7se's now
emotion-2.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
the bacon man:
went and another listen with the wife today and tested the quad 21l against the Kef IQ7SE with the Mj sub, and as much as i liked the quads, more for their looks as anything else, the kefs stole it in my personal opion. just seemed to be more revealing where as the quads seemed 'safe', and un exciting. very nice and smooth but didn't make me listen. And with the kef at £400 which is £100 cheaper than the quads it's looking like the 7se to me. she prefered the kefs as well without me mentioning, prices or my persoanl prefrence so........

i still want to listen to the 5se, as they appear to be good value, and the focal chorus 714v, but i would quite hapily stop testing and go for the 7se's now
emotion-2.gif

Hello bacon man

I'll go along with the iQ7's. Very good speakers for almost half the original price.

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

DM... Have you gone off the R3's? You dont seem to be reccommending them so much any more.

bacon man ...haven't heard the Kefs so cant offer a comparison but would gladly reccommend the Rega's for an audition(for looks and sound).

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
The 685's are nice in cherry. My wife speaks highly of their aesthetic value (relative, of course, to the alternatives). In absolute terms wires and boxes cluttering up the house don't do it for her in any way, shape or form. She does agree however that they sound superb.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
the bacon man:
Just to update, so far i have listend to

xeno - good for surround but definatly not what i'm after for Hifi

Quad 11l - wasn't keen seemed very safe

Quad 21l - liked these very much

but...

the B+W 685. stole the show

but.........

after having a 'little' discussion with the wife, it's gonna have to be floor standers only i'm afraid. especially with the 685's being big, and most stands being 'industrial' she wasn't having any of it.
emotion-9.gif
. she thought i was just getting new satallites
emotion-43.gif

back to drawing board a little.

liked the quad 21l

need to listen to the KEF IQ5SE

has anyone heard the new KEF IQ50? with the 5se being a discountinued range they are only available in limted colours, in limted places so getting to hear one is proving hard

any other floorstanders at the £500 pound mark or under, starting at price or reduced to (the quad 21l2 was £700!! now £499) Doesn't have to be the bassiest of cabs as running with a sub. i'm more intrested in the open mid top.

Cheers

Ex demo or second hand RS6s - you won't beat them at that price.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gears of Law:
DM... Have you gone off the R3's? You dont seem to be reccommending them so much any more.

bacon man ...haven't heard the Kefs so cant offer a comparison but would gladly reccommend the Rega's for an audition(for looks and sound).

Sorry, absolutely not. Lovely speakers too

regards

A

Anonymous

well after another listen i have decided on the Kef IQ7SE, I really enjoyed their sound. very clear with out being harsh, and the lows were nice and tight when used in conjuction with the pro50 sub.

my last listen involved pairing them upagainst it's smaller younger sibling the IQ50,which sounded a little dead ot be honhest. didn't bring any sparkle to anything. i do like the idea of the plinth on the new cabs but wasn't enough to sound was the defining factor. plus i had taken the Mrs and she enjoyed 7se's so makes my life easier.

Paid a deposit and hopefully will finish paying for them by xmas, if not early January.

even thou this is primarley for hifi it will be used as the front L/R of a suround system. which leads me to my next question,

would it be wise to invest in a matching center speaker while i can get hold of them, or will it intregate nicely enough with the new range or my celstions?

i realise this is probably a little hyperthetical due to no one having tried it, but your thoughts would be great to hear all the same...

Cheers

Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts