Hi Res recommendation ROCK Music

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
As title says.

I feel I have system good enough now to hear a sizeable step up from CD quality when I listened to free HD classical download testers. I mean they sound incrediblely lifelike and can really hear what musicians are doing. I don't particularly like classical but listen to LOTR and Conan soundtracks happily.

I also managed to get Fleetwood Mac hi res flac which sounds very good indeed.

Anyone suggest FLACs I can legally download in the rock music genre please which is very well recorded? Also where from?

Or indeed anything funky! :dance:

Cheers

Ambrose

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
stuff from Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree: https://www.burningshed.com/store/24/

new album from Smashing Pumpkins (directly from their website)

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
spockfish said:

Oooh thanks!

I might just try porcupine Tree. I had in absentia once on DVD Audio.

SteveR750

Ambrose said:
spockfish said:

Oooh thanks!

I might just try porcupine Tree. I had in absentia once on DVD Audio.

I bought fear of a blank planet (16/44) which is brilliant; and The Incident in hi res, which is also addictive. One of the few bands whose albums I can listen all the way through non stop.

I've got In Absentia on spotify. FOABP is much heavier, more muse like when Bellamy cuts loose, The Incident is a bit more laid back, theme album, so you can understand the floyd comparison. One track in particular has some trademark Dave Gilmour licks in it, I suspect on purpose just to wind up the critics who labelled them as the next pink floyd.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Radiohead 'King of limbs' is availble online.

Nine Inch Nails "The Slip' is availble from their website.

Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells'

Smashing Pumpkins as mentioned above.

Thats the sum total of my Hi Res Rock music lol

SteveR750

Chokobolt said:
Are you sure that it is in fact not just the recording of the "hi-res" files being superior to what you are used to hear?

I think what you arwe asking, is the benefit of a hi res recording in the remastering, and not the high sample rate / bit depth?

In which case, that is indeed a good question - for sure a CD master that is simply resampled won't be any better, and there are a few albums passed off this way (and something HD Tracks has refused to do is show the original master resolution).

However, all of the 24 bit recordings that I have sound good, and those where i have both the CD res and hi res, the latter sounds better. is it real? Who knows, or really cares; it just is.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Chokobolt said:
Are you sure that it is in fact not just the recording of the "hi-res" files being superior to what you are used to hear?

This is difficult to know but proper HD recordings are (I am assuming) going to be recorded / mastered with greater care which may account for some perceived benefits.

I have not done any direct comparisons so it's a judgement based upon how incredible the free Linn / HD tracks I listened to. I have not heard the level of realism on other tracks.

Hence, interest in trying something "recommended"

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
The_Lhc said:
I'll mention Muse's new album The 2nd Law again, available from their website, muse.mu in 24/96 FLAC.
does it sound good?

Musically or in terms of sound quality? At the moment I've only listened to it in the car playing from my phone, sounds alright, I don't currently have any method of playing it at home, other than taking the headphone output from my laptop and I can't be bothered with all that as I don't have much time for listening at home.

What is the DR like?

Haven't the faintest idea, erm, I have an offline DR checker but it only works with wav or mp3 at 16/44, so I've converted the first track from the album and the results are:

-----------------------------------------------

Statistics for: 1_The 2nd Law - Supremacy_1411.wav

Number of Samples: 13025964

left right

Peak value: -0.00 dB --- -0.06 dB

Avg RMS: -11.93 dB --- -11.64 dB

DR channel: 9.24 dB --- 8.52 dB

Official DR value: DR9

===============================================

I haven't the faintest idea what any of that means mind...

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
You just beat me to it, The_Lhc. I had a listen to it a couple of nights ago, being on a similar search, and it was impressive. Not sure whether I like Kiss enough to splash out, though.

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I'll mention Muse's new album The 2nd Law again, available from their website, muse.mu in 24/96 FLAC.

+1 from me on this one, being a rocker myself I'm always on the lookout for good 24bit rock recordings, there certainly aren't that many around at the moment, but Muses new album is excellent, especailly track 12, Unsustainable, at high volumes it's pretty powerful stuff :)

Metallica's black album is also available, Eagles Hotel California, Some great Nick Cave, Bowie, The Beatles, Cat Stevens, Pink Floyd but that is about all I could find.

Hopefully this situation will change in the near future.

TRENDING THREADS