Hi-res music streaming services compared: which should you sign up for?

James Robinson

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
The issue that I have found is not with sound quality, but with the quantity of music of particular genres on offer (and how it is presented in searches), which is entirely missed in this comparative review.

For classical (and, from what I have read, for jazz) Qobuz seems much better than any of the other options (although, to be fair, I have not tried Apple Music for a long time due to the lack of any hi-res files, which I understand is shortly to change).

Reactions: TheLastMan

Isinor

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
The issue that I have found is not with sound quality, but with the quantity of music of particular genres on offer (and how it is presented in searches), which is entirely missed in this comparative review.

I have been using Amazon (30 days free) compared to Tidal or Spotify it’s a complete disaster, the android app has so many frustrating usage issues, keep away is my recommendation. I’m happy to pay a little extra to get something that puts access to music as a priority. Maybe the lifetime membership of Roon is worth the cost.

bristollinnet

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
A stupidly timed article from What HiFi who just couldn't be patient until Apple's new service goes live. Future Media 'journalism' at its irresponsible worst.

Anybody who signs up this week for anything is an idiot.

dlundh

Jun 8, 2021
Visit site
Apples lossless and dolby atmos is live now though. The Dolby Atmos stuff is great through the ATV to my receiver. I may stop buying multi-channel SACDs now...
Weird that MQA, a lossy compression, is touted as something to strive after though.

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
I have been using Amazon for a year now and at £8.00 as a Prime member I think it provides a service that's above average, what's not to like at £8. plus 24bit/192khz FLAC, nobody else gets near it and the full version is very easy to find what you want to listen to, you just use the search engine like any other programme.

davidc

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site

For classical (and, from what I have read, for jazz) Qobuz seems much better than any of the other options (although, to be fair, I have not tried Apple Music for a long time due to the lack of any hi-res files, which I understand is shortly to change).

Not "entirely missed". Amazon pushes the Hi-Res stuff to you, and clearly labels every song.

davidc

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
I have been using Amazon (30 days free) compared to Tidal or Spotify it’s a complete disaster, the android app has so many frustrating usage issues, keep away is my recommendation. I’m happy to pay a little extra to get something that puts access to music as a priority. Maybe the lifetime membership of Roon is worth the cost.

I would agree that the Amazon app leaves a lot to be desired in terms of it's UI and ergonomics, but it is not a reason at all to stay away from it, unless you are the kind of person who can never figure out how to use your stereo/TV system because you have 2-3 remote controls.

AEBWright

May 5, 2023
Visit site
Get Tidal subscription through the Plex platform. This is cheaper and allows search results which include streams and also your own downloaded library. The text and reviews are worth having too.

TheLastMan

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Spot on! As long as you get at least 320kb compressed 16/44 audio then the most important thing is the size of the catalogue of music, the user interface and range of equipment you can use it on. I use Spotify because the library is VAST, I can get it on my phone, laptop, Raspberry Pi LMS streamer and Sonos streamer - the interface is also good and very intuitive and I have a licence for all 5 of the family (including my ex wife!) for £17 . For classical music nothing beats Idagio! It is basically an archive of all the classical music ever recorded available in FLAC 16/44 quality on my phone and Sonos streamer. The interface could do with a bit of work but is great otherwise. I think lossless is much more important than high-res anyway.

I am hoping Spotify will go 16/44 lossless for their HiFi level. If they did I would snap it up in an instant. I have yet to be convinced by Hi-Res. I have a Chord Qutest DAC which is claimed to give you the benefits of Hi-Res without the file size and bandwidth issues. Have to say it sounds awesome!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS