Hi-fi versus A/V amplifier audio qualities

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, I'm considering buying the Yamaha A-S500 stereo amplifier. However, I am also after a Home Cinema A/V amplifier. Currently, the Pioneer VSX-LX53 is getting my attention. I've been wondering if there's a chance I could just get the A/V amplifier for both tasks. Based on your respective experiences, would an A/V amplifier such as the VSX-LX53 stand a chance in a Hi-fi comparison against the A-S500 or would it just be blown away? Unfortunately I am not able to listen to both at the same time in a comparative test. I'd greatly appreciate your options. Thank you in advance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There is some good advice on here, if you do a search.

Here is my tuppence worth.

IMO You have two options -
Cheap AV amp (with pre-outs) + good 2ch amp (preferably with HT by-pass) or
Expensive av amp.

Which one? That probably depends on what your priorities are. For me personally, the Arcam amps are the best if you need good 2 stereo (though that will probably be challanged).
The avr 400 was launched recently, and is hopefully less "buggy" than the 500 and 600 (which I own - sounds great but not all bugs sorted)

I think you probably need to spend a bit more, if you want to get an AV amp to do the job of a mid priced stereo one.

This is a personal view, so let your ears and wallet decide. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Thank you CnoEvil for your input and options.

I had a look at the Arcam amps you mention. They seem very high end and above what I've been planning.

If that's my only A/V choice to compete in sound quality with the A-S500 then I'll probably end up getting the A-S500 and the VSX-LX53.

Do you believe the higher SC-LX83 model could stand a chance? It's more than the price of the A-S500 and VSX-LX53 combo but I'd consider that if I can avoid having to fit two amps in my setup. As you can probably tell, I like the Pioneer models.

I saw the picture in your Acoustic Treatment question topic. Very nice.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The AVR400 is £1700 vs LX53 + S500 at £1650.

I personally would choose the Arcam, as I would expect it to at least match the S500, and better the LX53 - but that's just me.

The LX83 is a well regarded product, but my taste lies in the Arcam camp - so would prefer the AVR400 over it as well. You must find which camp is right for you. Too much money is at stake.

T

the record spot

The Onkyo and Marantz AV amps are - apparently - very good for music too. Maybe worth considering too.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
cmwhf said:
Hello, I'm considering buying the Yamaha A-S500 stereo amplifier. However, I am also after a Home Cinema A/V amplifier. Currently, the Pioneer VSX-LX53 is getting my attention. I've been wondering if there's a chance I could just get the A/V amplifier for both tasks. Based on your respective experiences, would an A/V amplifier such as the VSX-LX53 stand a chance in a Hi-fi comparison against the A-S500 or would it just be blown away? Unfortunately I am not able to listen to both at the same time in a comparative test. I'd greatly appreciate your options. Thank you in advance.

Most importantly, what speakers do you have and do you envisage upgrading them in the future. If you have say a £300 pair of front speakers with surrounds, the Arcam mentioned would be wasted on them for home cinema. I would go with mid priced av receiver and decent stereo amp for speakers under £500 and you then have a nice balance.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
cmwhf said:

Most importantly, what speakers do you have and do you envisage upgrading them in the future. If you have say a £300 pair of front speakers with surrounds, the Arcam mentioned would be wasted on them for home cinema. I would go with mid priced av receiver and decent stereo amp for speakers under £500 and you then have a nice balance.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,
Isn't the source also important here, especially where 2 channel stereo is concerned?

I have a arcam AVR280 amp, Marantz DV6001 dvd player and B&W MT-20 currently and surround sound is great (sacd) but 2 channel is a little less impressive, particularly for lower volumes and fullness of sound. Still clear and dynamic sounding but wanting bigger sound. I guess this is down to speaker size and source more than AMP???

Would upgraded dvd player (Arcam DV137/139) or DAC make a big difference in my system for example?

What about speakers like Dynaudio DM2/6, ATC SM7, N-sats, AVI Neutron 5 +ASW2 sub or Dynaudio MC15 active speakers work in such a system.
Just putting some ideas about for what might work.
Ambrose

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Hi there, Isn't the source also important here, especially where 2 channel stereo is concerned? I have a arcam AVR280 amp, Marantz DV6001 dvd player and B&W MT-20 currently and surround sound is great (sacd) but 2 channel is a little less impressive, particularly for lower volumes and fullness of sound. Still clear and dynamic sounding but wanting bigger sound. I guess this is down to speaker size and source more than AMP??? Would upgraded dvd player (Arcam DV137/139) or DAC make a big difference in my system for example? What about speakers like Dynaudio DM2/6, ATC SM7, N-sats, AVI Neutron 5 +ASW2 sub or Dynaudio MC15 active speakers work in such a system. Just putting some ideas about for what might work. Ambrose

I used to own AVR350 + DV79 + IQ9/6c/dipole, which is not a mile away from where you want to be. I think adding the DV139 (worth getting over 137 if you can source one at sensible money), and something like those Dynaudio speakers, will definately improve stereo.

For 5.1, the front three speakers should match or at the very least,be from the same manufacturer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts