Hi-Fi Systems

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Total novice here so please be gentle. I'm only just getting round to the possibility of buying a new hi-fi system but haven't got that much of a budget to do it with at the moment (approx £300-£400). I have been told that separates are the best way forward. What I want to know is as follows: 1: Is there any particular order I should get the separates in, i.e. get my amp and speakers first, or c.d. player and turn table etc. Doe's it make that much of a difference? 2: Given the budget I've got is there anywhere I can get pre-owned equipment at a good price or do people not trade in their equipment when upgrading? 3: The room I will be putting it in is not particularly large (approx 5m x 5m) and does not lend itself to having the speakers in the corners of the room because of doors & furniture. Will this make a difference to the type of equipment I need to get? 4: I'm looking to copy my vinyl onto my computer so the turntable I get will need to be able to connect to the computer (or is there another way of doing this?) but I also want to play my vinyl as well but not through the computers speakers. As I say, I'm a complete novice at this so the questions are probably easily answered but I'm totally in the dark. Thanks in advance for your help & support.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Shadowman"]Hi Total novice here so please be gentle[/quote]

Why does everyone say that?

I could understand if you go and see your gynaecologist, dentist or local dungeon ...

Most of your questions would be answered if you'd buy a copy of this magazine, especially the guide to HIFI or whatever it is called. Ebay, local dealers the freeads etc are all good sources for used equipment and you could buy new less the turntable and add that later. - Obviously you need an amp, source and ideally speakers at the same time unless you listen through headphones. USB Ttables are available too for convenience of transfering to pc. There are a few handy hints with regards to positioning your equipment but its mainly trial and error.

I think in view of your lack of knowledge I'd advise you to go to a local dealer rather than trying to assemble something from s/h stuff you dont know/can't listen to. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

For your budget, you won't go far wrong with something like this:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3856

although you'll need to add the turntable. Incidentally, once you hear your records through a separates system, you may not want to compress them to death. Richer sounds also do good package deals like the one above. There's nothing particularly appetising on their website at the moment at your price point, but if you drop in on your nearest branch, they may be willing to do a deal. Recent comments on this forum suggest that they're willing to be flexible on price if you're buying a system. Anyway, separates are definitely the way forward. You won't regret it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question "why does everyone say that?" I've been on other forums where newcomers or people asking for advice tend to be treated with contempt by those who consider themselves to be experts in that field. Having read some of the replies on here as well (could just be banter but not sure) it seems there is the same mentality amongst some of the posters.

I have bought the magazine and having read it I think I will take your advice and visit a local dealer. As you say listening to what you are going to buy makes a lot of sense and they can explain better the technical details.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Shadowman"]Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question "why does everyone say that?" I've been on other forums where newcomers or people asking for advice tend to be treated with contempt by those who consider themselves to be experts in that field. Having read some of the replies on here as well (could just be banter but not sure) it seems there is the same mentality amongst some of the posters.[/quote]

Hmm, maybe the odd rogue poster. On the whole though, I think it's fair to say that people on here understand that everyone has to start somewhere, and a lot of the p***-taking is actually between the more knowledgeable members of the forum. Enjoy choosing your kit and let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

Will do. There's a Superfi near me in Manchester so I think I'll go and have a listen this weekend. Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts