Hi-fi streaming TO home network

mattie_uk

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

I'm currently getting my turntable set up, and will be investing in a second-hand hi-fi amp with appropriate phono inputs. This will be in my study as I've already tested my wife's patience with all the home cinema clutter in the front room!

This front-room system is networked and is based around an Denon AVR-X2000. This can play music from my home server, and has an app to let me access the server through the map itself.

My question is how to play music from the turntable in the study (more specifically through the a device on the tape loop of whatever hi-fi amp I go with) through to the Denon receiver in the front room - I'm aware of devices that can push music from a server to a hi-fi, do these work 'in reverse'?

Are there any examples of kit I should consider? Seeing as it will be for pushing music from an outputted source it really just needs to expose the source as a stream rather than support any play controls - happy to go with simple or dated kit!

I should point out that the study is just the other side of the kitchen and there is a second zone planned for the kitchen for the home amp - the plan is to stream music so I can listen to vinyl as I prepare dinner. I appreciate I will have to mute the amp physically connected to the turntable as otherwise there will be lag issues. I mention this so people don't think I'm mad and want to sit by a turntable but play music on the other side of the house!

I hope this makes sense, apologies if the answer is obvious - Im afraid I'm not that familiar with the streaming side of things yet.

All advice gratefully received.

ETA: A raspberry pi sounds like it might work:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-media/raspberry-pi

A littte concerned about how easy it is to configure though? Would I need to be a competent user of Linux to get it working?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
A Sonos Connect has a line-input that it can send to other Sonos units, so you'd take the line out from the hi-fi amp, to the line-in on the Connect, send that to another Connect plugged into the Denon and play the turntable audio on there. That would be very simple but you are looking at the thick end of £500. You would however also be able to play music from your home server in both locations and the Sonos interface is probably a hell of a lot easier to use than the Denon's. Sonos won't play 24-bit audio though, so if you've got any of that you'd still need the Denon to play it (you could of course loop an output on the Denon amp into the Connect attached to it and send that audio back to the Connect plugged into the hi-fi amp if you wanted, it all works both ways).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts