HI-FI Stacking (help stop an argument)

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Please can you help me explain to my partner why you really should not stack hi-fi seperates on top of each other, we are moving and she thinks we could do away with the hi-fi rack, please help

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
1) Components can overheat, reducing their lifespan (to the point where they could stop working very quickly indeed....)

2) Vibrations are the enemy of good sound - by isolating components from each other on a good rack, you're reducing those sonic foes.

We're not talking small 'tweaky' differences here, but a massive detrimental effect on your system.

Due to this significantly poorer sound, you'll probably find yourself using it less, which will make your system a waste of money and an expensive stack of boxes in a corner.

The next move will be your partner arguing that you should get rid of it altogether "as you hardly listen to it anymore". Slippery slope....

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Components need adequate ventilation because, and I quote the manual of my Pioneer PD-77 CD player, "Excessive heat can adversely affect the cabinet and internal components", and "Placing and using the compact disc player on heat-generating sources such as amplifiers will affect performance". Concise and absolutely correct.

A

Anonymous

Daveh75 check out page two of the forum and open the system rack thread, there is a picture of my TNT on there.

daveh75

thanx brisk, looks impressive, thats some nice lookin kit you have on it too, has it improved your sound,

am thinking abouy building 1 for myself. but with perspex maybe,only trouble is thick perspex isn't exactly cheap

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
daveh75:only trouble is thick perspex isn't exactly cheap

But the end result is far superior so well worth the price. Cast acrylic is even better.

A

Anonymous

Couldn't say if it improved the sound because the kit I have at the moment I haven't experienced without the rack. I thought I was building it to last until I could afford another rack but I love how it turned out and would highly recommend making one.

As for the perspex I was going down that route but couldn't get hold of it and thought problems may arise when I tried cutting and drilling it, but by all means give it a try. Are you based in the UK? If you are and source the perspex give me a shout, I would like to know where it is sold.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Oh, and you also run a greater risk of interference between the components when stacked.

I think it's pretty common sense but it's wrong of advertisers to show the matching amp and cd player combo stacked on top of each other, looking all good.

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:Andrew Everard:Oh, and you also run a greater risk of interference between the components when stacked.

I think it's pretty common sense but it's wrong of advertisers to show the matching amp and cd player combo stacked on top of each other, looking all good.

And forum members.......

primare.jpg

A

Anonymous

He does do a great job, but is paying a lot less for the perspex, thats the US for you. But at 50.47 a shelf in the UK I'm not sure it represents an economically viable option, thats over 200 before you have the rods for four shelves!! DIY should help ease the cost of what is commercially expensive, you can get a dedicated rack for that. Mine cost around 40 to make and I couldn't be more pleased. Think hard before buying that perspex, but by all means give it a try, I'm currently gathering the materials for building a pair of speakers, thats a whole new bag though. Good luck!

daveh75

thats the thing thats putting me off using perspex, i did notice though,that he used 0.472 inch perspex which equates to about 12mm. which works out quite abit cheaper than the 20mm stuff, but still very steep though,so looks like i be making one from mdf, where did you find the plans for the speakers, or have you designed them yourself,

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty certain that most people won't hear any difference if components are stacked on top of each other or separated by a few inches. If your cdp emits emi/rfi interference, as an example, 10 centimeters wont make a difference. Its a case of matching the player to an amplifier that is not too susceptible to such interference. A problem with some wide band capable amps. Sure, it perhaps looks neater if stacked in a dedicated rack but if thats not visually feasable, I really would'nt worry about it too much as long as the amplifier has enough space for adequate ventilation. There are some good sounding all in a box systems where delicate pre-amplifier circuits are next to power supplies, digital circuitry etc and they work just fine with no detriment to sound. Musical Fidelity is only one of them.

A

Anonymous

I thought I saw the bottom shelf flex a bit, 12m for that phat amp! Not sure how much you know about speaker DIY but its a big world, been doing a lot of reading, internet searches, forum browsing etc, but its my 1st build, going for a full range driver (CSS FR125S) in a sealed 6.5lt enclosure (also known as the Cyburgs-Monitors). When I start the build I will post if anyone is interested?

A

Anonymous

Sorry, joining this string late on - as a novice, I've got my Marantz CD stacked on top of my amp, is this unadvisable?? Haven't had any problems yet, though the system is new. It's also a bit of a hassle finding a rack as my space is limited.

A

Anonymous

Ruboman:Sorry, joining this string late on - as a novice, I've got my Marantz CD stacked on top of my amp, is this unadvisable?? Haven't had any problems yet, though the system is new. It's also a bit of a hassle finding a rack as my space is limited.

If you can, put the amplifier on top of the cd player - It won't get enough ventilation otherwise. My Arcam has a turntable ontop of it, but that is easily 5cm of space above it...but it can get quite hot some times, especially when running two sets of 4ohm speakers!
emotion-5.gif

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:Ruboman:Sorry, joining this string late on - as a novice, I've got my Marantz CD stacked on top of my amp, is this unadvisable?? Haven't had any problems yet, though the system is new. It's also a bit of a hassle finding a rack as my space is limited.

If you can, put the amplifier on top of the cd player - It won't get enough ventilation otherwise. My Arcam has a turntable ontop of it, but that is easily 5cm of space above it...but it can get quite hot some times, especially when running two sets of 4ohm speakers!
emotion-5.gif

Seconded. Put the amp on top. It has the most need to breath.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts