Hi-Fi speakers

muratbekston

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm thinking of purchasing a hi-fi system for %75 music and %25 movies. I thought that NAD 375 bee would be a good amp as it has an internal DAC so i can connect the TV via optical out (is it a bad idea by the way?) and also stream with Apple Tv.

I listen to a wide range of music metal, rock, jazz, electronic... So as for speakers i'm confused a lot. Lots to choose from. I read good reviews about Tannoy Precision 6.2 but there is not much info about those and i cant demo them. I demoed Focal 826, while they were really clear and good with jazz tracks they were very closed with other genres. Other options maybe B&W Cm9, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, PMC 23 or any others you can recommend.

Thanks

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
muratbekston said:
Hi all,

I'm thinking of purchasing a hi-fi system for %75 music and %25 movies. I thought that NAD 375 bee would be a good amp as it has an internal DAC so i can connect the TV via optical out (is it a bad idea by the way?) and also stream with Apple Tv.

I listen to a wide range of music metal, rock, jazz, electronic... So as for speakers i'm confused a lot. Lots to choose from. I read good reviews about Tannoy Precision 6.2 but there is not much info about those and i cant demo them. I demoed Focal 826, while they were really clear and good with jazz tracks they were very closed with other genres. Other options maybe B&W Cm9, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, PMC 23 or any others you can recommend.

Thanks

Have a look at AVI ADM 9RS active speakers at £1250. Standmount 2-way actives with DAC, pre and power amps built in with 2 optical and 1 [pair] analog inputs, with remote control and 2 year warranty. They out-perform passive setups at this and much higher price points. I could never go back to passive, they just don't cut it.

Nothing wrong with using optical out from tv and I use an ATV without any problems. Also, welcome to the forum. :)

muratbekston

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the comment relocated.

I don't know if i can find the avi systems here, and the room is 35m2 by the way will a bookshelf size speaker will be enough?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
muratbekston said:
I thought that NAD 375 bee would be a good amp as it has an internal DAC so i can connect the TV via optical out (is it a bad idea by the way?) and also stream with Apple Tv.

The DAC module on the NAD has async USB and only one optical input. I think you'll need two optical inputs (or some device between the NAD and TV + ATV) to switch between the two optical connected sources.

muratbekston

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Here is Turkey.

Then maybe NAD + external DAC would be a better idea. But speaker is harder to decide so if you can recommend i would appreciate

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
muratbekston said:
My budget is like $5500-6000

A very nice budget. I'm sure plenty of folk here will be keen to spend it for you.

Are you in or near Istanbul? If so, I'd have thought you'd have quite a good range of speakers available. Do you have access to any of these brands: KEF, Sonus faber, Harbeth, Dali, Audiovector? All produce excellent speakers within your budget, each with their own loyal following. Of course, speakers are a very personal thing, so really the best approach is to listen to as many different models as you can.

Matt

EDIT On the question of external DACs, my view is that you may well get some benefit from one in terms of functions, but you should spend as little as possible. I think in your situation the money would be better spent on getting the best speakers you can afford.

muratbekston

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
yes i am in istanbul. i'll go and demo those speakers i mentioned but i would like to hear your opinions. like with that budget must i definitely buy sonus, or anyone superior to other?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
muratbekston said:
yes i am in istanbul. i'll go and demo those speakers i mentioned but i would like to hear your opinions. like with that budget must i definitely buy sonus, or anyone superior to other?

No, you must buy the speakers you think are best. No speaker is perfect. They all have limitations, and it's remarkable how very different they can be from one another. I've just suggested some makers I like.

Buying speakers is a very personal thing, so if anyone tells you "you must buy this", you should smile politely and move on. There are, to my mind, three golden rules:

1. take your time

2. listen to the speakers in your room before you buy

3. let your dealers make suggestions, but don't let them make your mind up for you

rainsoothe

great advice there - let your ears decide and let dealer make sugestions (thats how I fell inlove with naim in the first place). With that kind of budget and room size, I would defenately try audition and to find a good deal on a Naim Supernait 2 with, maybe, Chord Hugo/Naim Dac V1 and your choice of speaker (I'm using Martin Logan Motion 40, but XTZ speakers are great and awesome value (99.36 mkII) - Neat and PMC speakers are also known to go well with Naim). If the Supernait 2 is too expensive, you could give Dac V1 (or Unitiqute2) + Nap 100 combo a go.

Amp-wise, other options worth considering (besides the Nad) are Simaudio Moon Neo 250i, XTZ A100D3, Exposure 3010s2, Rotel RA 1570.

Oh, although I haven't heard them, a lot of people who like Naim (in case you audition and like it) speak highly of Teddy Pardo products, which are said to be like Naim but a wee bit different. Both Teddy Pardo and XTZ products are internet based operations (although XTZ do have a (very) few dealers), so the only way to audition those is to order and send back within 2 or 3 weeks (depending on their policy) if you don't like them. If you don't like that idea, then try only the ones you can audition in hi-fi store. (although auditioning at home is generally the ideal way to go).

goodluck

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Another amp to consider with a DAC would be Peachtree Nova 125

With a bigger budget, there is also the Bel Canto C5i.

IME. As a rough guide, you should be looking to budget around the same for the amp as the speakers (so they can reach their potential).

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
muratbekston said:
Thanks for the comment relocated.

I don't know if i can find the avi systems here, and the room is 35m2 by the way will a bookshelf size speaker will be enough?

Yes. My room is around that size, I've always preferred standmounts. It's more important where you have the speakers and your listening position within the room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts