Hi-Fi Recommendations

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

My first post here so be gentle!

Back in 1989/90 a 18/19 year old lad went a little crazy (according to his parents) and spent a fair few pounds on a complete hi fi system. It was used a lot for a few years and then was retired to the loft. Anyway recently having had an epiphany I realised that the system must still be stashed in my mothers loft and decided to take a look. And there it was in pristine condition and so far what appears to be fully functional order (with the exception of the CD player).

Anyway the system as is:

Turntable - Rotel RP855

Cassette Deck - Denon DRM600

Tuner - Pioneer F656

CD - Sony CDP470

Amp - Mission Cyrus 1

Speakers - Mission Floorstanders (unsure of model - where is this found? I can only find serial 620018217)

To my untrained ears, it sounds fantastic (well when I compare to my 2 mini systems, Denon RCD-M35DAB (from 2006) and a Pioneer XC-L7/CT-L7 (from 1999/2000). However the CD player doesn't operate
emotion-9.gif
and so I need to get a new one. I have approx £500 / £600 available and wonder what the general consensus on a suitable replacement would be. The Marantz CD6002, Pioneer PD-D6-J, Cambridge Audio 640C all seem decent players, although the Marantz is less than half of what I have available. With the additional money left over, should I replace my amp? I've read so many great comments about the vintage Cyrus amps, so don't really think it is worth changing it for changing it's sake.

Anyway folks, any thoughts? Please share your thoughts and comments and hopefully you can help me make my mind up.

Cheers

Paul
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I don't think the Pioneer is in the same league as the Marantz and CA. Leave the amp. I reckon you should save up and get a nice pair of Rega R3's. Or... totem rainmakers.

T

the record spot

Get a decent source first, work out the kind of sound you like to hear - smooth, bassy, bright/open, whatever and see which ones fit that bill. Up to £600 you have a few at the price point you won't regret, plus quite a few manufacturers are introducing new lines, so deals are common right now. Try to have a listen if you can, mail order can be tricky (my experiences with the Marantz 7001 KI being a case in point, even at over 50% off...!).

New at £600 (and discounting the players you already mentioned earlier in the £200-£350 bracket), the Rega Apollo, Audiolab 8000CD, Roksan Kandy LIII, Marantz SA7001-KI Signature at £650 or the standard non-KI version at £350. You'll probably also pick up a discontinued Cyrus 8vs around the £450-£600 mark too - Glasgow Audio were doing such a deal a few weeks back (£500 in fact).

The used market opens up yet more doors and you have an excellent choice available - too many players to mention, but you can think of some £1000 players coming down into your category if you don't mind being a second owner.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your comments Ray. Having read more reviews I am definitely drawn to the Marantz.

I suppose I was a little green all those years ago (and still am really), but I read with interest that I should try to upgrade the systems' cables/leads, eg. power, speaker etc?

A

Anonymous

and another thanks to you "the record spot"

Of course now you just gave me even more to think about! I actually don't mind being a 2nd owner, especially considering what I am starting from. But how can I be sure that the items I buy are going to be fully functional etc before purchase. Is there any particular places I could look for them/or places that you recommend?

Cheers

T

the record spot

psej71:
and another thanks to you "the record spot"

Of course now you just gave me even more to think about! I actually don't mind being a 2nd owner, especially considering what I am starting from. But how can I be sure that the items I buy are going to be fully functional etc before purchase. Is there any particular places I could look for them/or places that you recommend?

Cheers

There's a load of dealers out there who offer secondhand gear, but I know a few and you get to recognise the quality names out there (e.g. Loud and Clear, Shadow Audio, Retro Reproductions, Hi Fi Corner, all in Edinburgh/Glasgow or the central belt there, Billy Vee in London and so on) also do check out the BADA Marketplace (enter that in Google) and you get lists of a whole variety of gear and dealers. Some will offer a trial at home for used gear (works better if you live nearby) others will demo, others offer a warranty (Billy Vee does although it differs from shop to shop). They all have a reputation to look after and most will be upfront in their description; if they say it's mint, that's what it'll be. If it's "fair" then expect a bump or two!

All the above places listed have a their own websites, so check them out - depending on where you are in the country, you'll find somewhere nearby I'm sure. There's a good selection of dealers round the UK, even down to the South West. Bit trickier in Wester Ross admittedly though...!

A

Anonymous

In the used market I find Musical Fidelity and Linn to be the two best value for money contenders. I don't quite know why but they seem to hit very very good prices considering the quality. It may have to do with their having large followings and fans that upgrade too much. The markets always awash in MF amps that'll shame most anything in the pricerange. My two cents.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts