Hi-Fi Racks?

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, am looking to get a new Hi-Fi rack, I currently have a Target Hi-Fi stand which is 3 tiers. Which now looks cluttered with the gear that I have, plus I have two Rotel RB980BX power Amps and Rotel RC 870 pre amp all on top of each other and as heat rises the top two (one power one pre) are starting to get realy hot!

I have been looking at something called a Gecko Tower 600, which has 6 tiers. Has anybody seen or used one of these, I think they look pretty good. Do you think I may lose some of my heat issues by splitting the amps apart?

Thanks Bry

I've not tried the Gecko but had similar problems with my kit. Ended up going to HiFi Racks purely because you could select any leg length (giving sufficient shelf height).

I notice the Gecko has adjustable shelving which is handy but not always the best as some of the 'adjustable' types make for very flimsy shelves.

Split your kit up definately and make sure you have plenty of space between top of power amps and the shelf above thus allowing plenty of air flow.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
QuietPC sell a huge range of fans - carefully chosen can be virtually silent and work surprisingly well. Not necessarily a solution in itself but worth consideration imo. Keeps my amp and Sky box nice and cool.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
...it would be a Hifi-Racks rack.

I nearly hit the buy button earlier this year, but decided to divert the funds to a streamer instead. So, I ended up making some adjustments to a solid oak AV stand we bought for our TV at the liquidation sale for The Pier (remember them?). Plenty of room for everything, plus a hidden draw for all the bits and bobs (stylus cleaner, random wires etc). It's open all way around, so no need for huge gaps above the amps.

All it cost me was a "nice" new TV stand, chosen by my other half from Ikea....*ok*

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi there.

If you can, find a shop that has a Hi-Fi Racks rack and a Quadrespire Bamboo rack and listen to a Hi-Fi stack (yours if you are fine taking it to the shop) and see which one you think sounds better.

I'm pretty sure you will fine the Quadrespire sounds better. The shelves are vented (like Hi-Fi Racks) and the uprights come in many sizes.

Another bit of advice if your system is not stacked this way already i to put the heaviest component of the Hi-Fi on the bottom of the stack.

As I'm sure the Hi-Fi Racks ones are the Quadrespire shelves are machined to distribut Mechanical vibration away from each unit and down the uprights.

Best sounding Racks I've heard. Can't wait to get one myself.

Hope that helps.

Ketan Bharadia said:
It's worth giving Atacama a go. Its Eris Eco range is modular and I think it looks smart too.

Although I used Atacama stands in the past their modular type have limited variability (only 3 different leg lengths available) and even their longest would not suit my power amp. Hence the move to HiFi Racks.

The Eris may, however, suit the OP's needs.

Glacialpath said:
Hi there.

If you can, find a shop that has a Hi-Fi Racks rack and a Quadrespire Bamboo rack and listen to a Hi-Fi stack (yours if you are fine taking it to the shop) and see which one you think sounds better.

I'm pretty sure you will fine the Quadrespire sounds better. The shelves are vented (like Hi-Fi Racks) and the uprights come in many sizes.

Another bit of advice if your system is not stacked this way already i to put the heaviest component of the Hi-Fi on the bottom of the stack.

As I'm sure the Hi-Fi Racks ones are the Quadrespire shelves are machined to distribut Mechanical vibration away from each unit and down the uprights.

Best sounding Racks I've heard. Can't wait to get one myself.

Hope that helps.

I'd just like to point out that HiFi Racks racks are not vented. They are solid (very solid) slabs of whatever wood you choose. These may suit some peoples need although some seem to prefer the flimsier nature of racks like the Quadraspire.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
I'd just like to point out that HiFi Racks racks are not vented. They are solid (very solid) slabs of whatever wood you choose. These may suit some peoples need although some seem to prefer the flimsier nature of racks like the Quadraspire.

Hi Al yeah you are right. It's been a long time since February and I forgot. Thanks for pointing that out.

To the OP then I would defineitly go for Quadrespire if you are having heat issues.

Glacialpath said:
Al ears said:

Hi Al yeah you are right. It's been a long time since February and I forgot. Thanks for pointing that out.

To the OP then I would defineitly go for Quadrespire if you are having heat issues.

There is a little theory that says heat rises. If he uses the Quadraspire type designs with slots the it is only going to heat-up the device placed above it, unless it is a long way above it. Quadraspire shelving is not that widely spaced.

Although your suggestion is good assuming he can get enough 'air gap' above his main source of heat, it is, in my opinion better to use a solid shelf (HiFi Racks) which does not allow upward heat migration but diverts it either side of the shelf above.

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for all the replies. Have looked at the various items that have been suggested. But they are out of my price range. Think i will give the Gecko a try as having the power amps and pre amp all on top of each other is definitely a heat issue. Unless the cookers broke and you fancy a hi-fried egg.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
There is a little theory that says heat rises. If he uses the Quadraspire type designs with slots the it is only going to heat-up the device placed above it, unless it is a long way above it. Quadraspire shelving is not that widely spaced.

Although your suggestion is good assuming he can get enough 'air gap' above his main source of heat, it is, in my opinion better to use a solid shelf (HiFi Racks) which does not allow upward heat migration but diverts it either side of the shelf above.

Again you are right. I think its more about giving each componant as much air room as possible. Encasing them top and bottom with solid shelves with only the gap the feet of each bit of kit creat and the gap from the top of the componant to the bottom of the above shelf is surely going to allow more heat to build up? But yes heat rises. I also think the vents would help dispurse the heat.

Quadraspire uprigts can be up to 32cm. I don't know many componants that tall. I'm sure there are some tough. Some mono blocks maybe.

Any way. Sounds like the OP might need some fan extraction with what ever rack he gets.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This is all you need IMO.

Ikea BESTA TV bench

besta-tv-bench__0140780_PE300780_S4.JPG

Or any similar stand where each power amp goes on top left and right and your preamp and CDP in the bottom sections. Stacked tower racks are the worst solution for proper component cooling. Put some felt rings under the feet or just some bluetack and you are good to go for just £60.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
This is all you need IMO.

Ikea BESTA TV bench

Or any similar stand where each power amp goes on top left and right and your preamp and CDP in the bottom sections. Stacked tower racks are the worst solution for proper component cooling. Put some felt rings under the feet or just some bluetack and you are good to go for just £60.

+1

I had a similar IKEA thing for years and it was perfect. I've just moved on as part of an apartment refurbishment and now I have something similar but prettier in glass (albeit much more expensive).

Chris

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Cheers Vlad, unfortuately due to space issues that set up won't fit, so I will need a stack. At least I will get some space between the power amps and pre amp. But if I had the room I would look into the ikea solution as the price is very attractive!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's only 120cm (3.9ft) wide. Each hi-fi component is 43cm wide which makes it perfect.

Well, there's always ebay and gumtree for second hand tower hifi racks. You should look for the ones with taller spacing between each shelf.

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
So as an early Xmas present my partner bought me the Gecko Tow600, it arrived yesterday and was set up that evening. It actually looks great (certainly better than the Target 3 tier that I bought in 1988 that it is replacing), it is definitely sturdy enough and I have been able to split the pre amp and power amps. It has managed to make my equipment set up look better as well, instead of looking like a big mess of gear.

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Just an add on. The heating issue that my pre and power amps were suffering from is now a thing of the past. No more melt down worries. Getting a six tier rack is the best thing that's happened to my equipment for a long time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts