Hi Fi Placement?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone could give me any advice here. I have to fit my hi-fi into a smaller space than I used to have it, and this might mean having to store the amplifier (a fairly old Teac) upright and on its side, rather than longways (on its feet). Just interested if anyone would think this could change the sound atall, or would it be totally the same as having it longways as I always used to have it.

The alternative is I take the feet off my turntable, and put that on top of my amplifier (i have to take the feet off to get it on top, as the deck is much deeper than the amp, the back feet can't fit on).. will that change the sound atall either?

Any help would be brilliant. Many thanks.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
fasjas:

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone could give me any advice here. I have to fit my hi-fi into a smaller space than I used to have it, and this might mean having to store the amplifier (a fairly old Teac) upright and on its side, rather than longways (on its feet). Just interested if anyone would think this could change the sound atall, or would it be totally the same as having it longways as I always used to have it.

The alternative is I take the feet off my turntable, and put that on top of my amplifier (i have to take the feet off to get it on top, as the deck is much deeper than the amp, the back feet can't fit on).. will that change the sound atall either?

Any help would be brilliant. Many thanks.

Neither of those options is very good.

1) The amp is not designed to work on its side

2) The turntable will block the heat coming out of the amp which could be a fire hazard

Think again.

A

Anonymous

cheers for getting back to me. i've had a cd player (which i no longer use) on the top of my amplifier for years and theres never been a problems there. so would there be any difference in sound if i took the feet off my turntable and sat it on my amplifier?

any help would be great.

thanks.

idc

It does not sound ideal at all due to ventination and vibration. I am sure your system would have sounded better if you had taken your CDP off your amp for that reason. Could you put up shelves and place the amp and turntable on them? You can get a specific turntable shelf, which I will try and find a link to.

Here, from Pro-ject, various shelves and cone supports. The cones will help to isolate equipment and increase ventilation. You will also find loads of similar items on ebay

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?list=accessories&cat=accessories&lang=en

matthewpiano

Turntables are more sensitive to placement than any other component. Taking the feet off it and placing it on an amplifier will compromise its performance. Don't forget, also, that when you placed your CD player on top of the your amp there was probably some clearance created by the feet on the CD. Taking the feet off the turntable will mean no clearance at all.

A

Anonymous

Personally, out of your two options, I'd prefer the amp on its end with the turnable set apart on a solid support. Putting the tt on the amp means a combination of less than solid support, heat being blocked from the amp and proximity of the transformer(s) to the tt.

Ideally you'd use the flat space you have available for the amp, and stick a shelf up above/to one side of that for the tt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts