HI FI Music Servers

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi, This is a continuation on this topic Digital Streaming Players - Linn Majik DS to anyone who is interested in music servers/digital streaming players.

Linn prices start at about 1k and go up and they don't even give you a decent remote control (unless you go for a really expensive one)

Silimiar to Linn but cheaper option would be Cambridge Audio Azur 640H Music Server but it didn't get very good review and just like Linn it lacks decent remote control.

There are at least 2 much cheaper options Sonos and Logitech Slim Devices Squeezebox Duet and more expensive Transporter. These guys give you a proper remote control and interesting wifi multiroom solution.http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_transporter.html

Does anyone have a chance to compare music servers from companies like Linn/Arcam/Cambridge Audio with stuff from Sonos/Logitech? Is it really worth spending so much money on the music server, or having a decent amp is good enough. Of course I assume that one will be using loseless formats.

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I found more info on Sonos/Squeezebox on Stereophile website. Looks like Sonos or Duet needs an external DAC to get a decent music out of this but Transporter suppose to be good on it's own. They compared Transporter with Musical Fidelity DAC v3.

I wonder if you can use Squeezebox Controller and Squeezebox receiver with Transporter.

I think it would make sense to have Transporter connected to you amp and music system and Squeezebox receiver in bedroom/kitchen connected to powered speakers.

A

Anonymous

Yes the Controller can be used with the SB3, Duet and Transporter. I've had both the SB3 and Duet - very good units and the Controller is a nice piece of kit. I've just gone back to my Apple Airport express. With iTunes, the Remote app running on an iPod touch or iPhone and an airport express it makes a neat (and to me a better integrated) solution. Digital out of the Squeezeboxes is better than the Aiport Express though.

James

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
coupesport:Yes the Controller can be used with the SB3, Duet and Transporter

That's great.. so I assume Transporter can be used as the main unit with a bunch of receivers around the house. Can you listen to different music in each location or the same one plays everywhere?

coupesport:I've just gone back to my Apple Airport express. With iTunes, the Remote app running on an iPod touch or iPhone and an airport express it makes a neat (and to me a better integrated) solution.

Yes I tried the app on my iphone, looks cool, but I don't like the idea of having PC on when listening to music. I guess Apple TV could be used instead of TV?

Yesterday I've setup my PS3 with Tversity (new version works fine now) which is cool but then not only my PC but also my TV needs to be on to allow me choose a music which is not good at all.

I'm trying to find a solution when all my music will be on NAS and my stereo will stream it from there and I will have universal remote to choose music. Squeezebox needs the squeeze center to be running on NAS which is not ideal but most NAS can be configured to run it.

I really like the idea of having Transporter connected to stereo amp (better sound) and the rest of the house can leave with just powered speakers and SB receviers.

And there is the Creative X-Fi solution as well, but don't know much about this yet.

A

Anonymous

Yes - you can have a mix of whatever you want around the house - as you say transporter for main hifi and then duet / sb's around the house for other rooms. You can select which box you want to control on the controller and choose whether you want all to play all the same music synchronised or select different music in different rooms. Its a pretty flexible system.

Me - i run iTunes on a spare mac im my study - all my music is ripped in AIFF and stored on NAS. I'm not too bothered about the multiroom side but i quite like having all my collection to hand with a nice user interface and reasonable sound quality for casual listening. CD is still the main part of my listening as it sounds better. I'm interested in Naim and Linn solutions for digital streaming though and have heard the HDX - once Naim bring out a stripped out HDX (as per the Linn players - ie no internal ripping /.drives) then i'll be investing in one.

James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts