Hi-fi Mental Institution

A

Anonymous

Get yourself a Sony micro down Argos, ban yourself from your hi-fi for a month, and then go back to it...you'll be sane forever!

A

Anonymous

nads:Losing what?

Yeah, actually, I was treating this as a joke - your not going to do anything silly or something are you?
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

ear:Anyone getting the feeling that you're losing it?
Yes. Sending myself insane by moving speakers, subs, sub settings, boxes, etc, when I actually sat down to listen. You really can get too much of this stuff. Now I've started thinking about op amps...help...

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Nads:

Must be the wrong set up.

go change/move/replace something........

Exactly what I mean.If I'm not happy I just take it back...but the thought stills goes for something else that can replace it.Last Time I went shopping I took It all back almost ..haha.before I went crazy and bankrupt :)

A

Anonymous

ear:It is very mentally tiring..

The great thing about the internet forum is that it allows greater communication, the terrible thing is that it robs our words of irony and makes them hard to interpret.... so "ear" you sound a little frazzled could you tell us why? If I am being boring literalist I apologise....

The only thing that frustrates me about hi-fi is that there is always another box to get...... I have everything that I imagined that I would need from a from a Hi Fi and am I satisfied? Absolutely not..... I need:

1) a Pro-ject Phono USB box

2) A DAC (either a Bereford or a DacMagic or maybe an Arcam Black Box)

3) A Terastation

4) A Squeezebox

5) A tuner, I have turned away from the idea of a DAB one and want a decent, cheap analogue... prob a Denon 260L Mk II or an Arcam T61.

Even after I have all this I am sure that I will be hit by the upgrade bug..... in that sense it does sometimes feel like a tiring treadmill of consumption..... so to combat that I listen to music (an obvious Catch 22 is inherent in this form of therapy).

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Bloatedgut.The thing is , when I finally decide to get something new, go to the store and bring it home, 1 or 2 days later I'm never satisfied with it.These days companies make a lot of rubish unfortunately.

nads

ear:Bloatedgut.The thing is , when I finally decide to get something new, go to the store and bring it home, 1 or 2 days later I'm never satisfied with it.These days companies make a lot of rubish unfortunately.

I know the feeling. but give it time and it will be good.

Here i am streaming Ms Winehouse from the PC and it is as good as the CD direct but i dont have to move.

A

Anonymous

ear:Bloatedgut.The thing is , when I finally decide to get something new, go to the store and bring it home, 1 or 2 days later I'm never satisfied with it.These days companies make a lot of rubish unfortunately.

Well I do not think that all companies are making universal rubbish.... so..... (swallows down lump in throat) how much do you think that that statement is true and how much think that it is fuelled by nostalgia and decadence..... if you were always trying to initiate the feeling of always buying great hi-fi then you might have reason to be disappointed...... also I cannot blindly agree with you because I do not know what you bought and what your standards are.....

However there are 3 answers or options to ameliorate your problem:

1. Stop buying things...... in this option you take responsibility that it may not be the stereo equipment that is wrong, but that your ear and main digital/analogue sensory interpretation unit is suffering from fatigue......

2. Buy better equipment..... upgrade to the next level.... in this option you buy into the idea that hi-fi works, but that you need to buy better hi-fi.

3. Buy that good stuff that they used to make secondhand - which is cheaper, satisfies the nostalgia and still scratches the hi-fi itch.

A

Anonymous

bloatedgut:
ear:It is very mentally tiring..

The great thing about the internet forum is that it allows greater communication, the terrible thing is that it robs our words of irony and makes them hard to interpret.... so "ear" you sound a little frazzled could you tell us why? If I am being boring literalist I apologise....

The only thing that frustrates me about hi-fi is that there is always another box to get...... I have everything that I imagined that I would need from a from a Hi Fi and am I satisfied? Absolutely not..... I need:

1) a Pro-ject Phono USB box

2) A DAC (either a Bereford or a DacMagic or maybe an Arcam Black Box)

3) A Terastation

4) A Squeezebox

5) A tuner, I have turned away from the idea of a DAB one and want a decent, cheap analogue... prob a Denon 260L Mk II or an Arcam T61.

Even after I have all this I am sure that I will be hit by the upgrade bug..... in that sense it does sometimes feel like a tiring treadmill of consumption..... so to combat that I listen to music (an obvious Catch 22 is inherent in this form of therapy).

I need.... A bigger room!

A

Anonymous

A foodstore or a hifi store? Home test it first is possible!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
ear:
Nads:

Exactly what I mean.If I'm not happy I just take it back...but the thought stills goes for something else that can replace it.Last Time I went shopping I took It all back almost ..haha.before I went crazy and bankrupt :)

Try something like an 'all-in-one' from Arcam or MF. It will take the constant component changing out of the equation. Better still, get yourself some AVI ADM's and you won't even have to worry about speaker cables anymore. Enjoy.

manicm

drummerman:ear:

Nads:

Try something like an 'all-in-one' from Arcam or MF. It will take the constant component changing out of the equation. Better still, get yourself some AVI ADM's and you won't even have to worry about speaker cables anymore. Enjoy.

Yup, I have one of those Arcam all-in-one thingies, the bottom of the barrel that is, paired with 685s, and have to say the more I hear it the more I like surprisingly, but only until I get a promotion and can afford Cyrus kit.

As JD would say. Oh Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear, pun intended :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts