Heroic tech failures, from Betamax to HD DVD

D

Deleted member 2457

I wonder whether 8K will be on there in the future too. :rolleyes: I am pretty sure that’s a tech too or maybe not? 🙃

D

Deleted member 2457

Oh, yes, and 3D telly. Actually, Betamax wasn’t a technical failure but a marketing one. Iirc JVC stole a march on the rental market with VHS so the weaker design became more popular.
Thanks mate. (y)

D

Deleted member 108165

Oh, yes, and 3D telly. Actually, Betamax wasn’t a technical failure but a marketing one. Iirc JVC stole a march on the rental market with VHS so the weaker design became more popular.
I've still got a 3D telly and player plus active glasses :) I still find it rather fascinating when I play a 3D disk.

Reactions: nopiano
I've still got a 3D telly and player plus active glasses :) I still find it rather fascinating when I play a 3D disk.
3D was certainly fun at the cinema, and not following TV trends too closely I never really grasped why it petered out. I can only think there weren’t enough sources, or consumers couldn’t be bothered with the glasses.

I think the LG telly we use now was 3D, as my step daughter bought it a few years ago.

Last edited:

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Not only have 3D televisions largely died but curved screens too. I never did understand their appeal and they seemed to mark a turning point for Samsung who could do no wrong until they went through a period of pushing them heavily.

jjbomber

Apple Mackintosh TV
Apple III with it's 100% failure rate
Apple Mackintosh Performa x200
Apple Bandai Pippin games console
Apple USB Mouse (Hockey Puck)
Apple Mighty Mouse
Apple G4 Cube
Apple ipod shuffle 3
Apple Maps
Apple Quicktake 200 Digital Camera
Apple Newton
Apple Airpower
Apple itunes Ping
Apple MobileMe
Apple iphone4 antenna
Apple Airport Extreme

D

Deleted member 2457

I liked 3D TV too especially on OLED TVs. I suppose the only way to get it now is on a projector.

no-name-123

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
Laser disc that was clearly better than VHS failed because 'Oh I can't record on it' while yes **consumer** LD recorders didn't exist professional ones did, however how come Vinyls managed with out being consumer recordable, as did CD at the point of first release

lovlid

May 24, 2009
Visit site
Laser disc that was clearly better than VHS failed because 'Oh I can't record on it' while yes **consumer** LD recorders didn't exist professional ones did, however how come Vinyls managed with out being consumer recordable, as did CD at the point of first release
Do you surely need to know why a 12 quid LP/CD played on relatively cheap decks beat laser disks at 40+ quid and a 1000 quid player to play it on.

lovlid

May 24, 2009
Visit site
Not at all, it appears LD failed because it was non-recordable by consumers yet people are happy to buy non-recordable vinyls
People were and still are happy to buy vinyl because music is something we are happy to listen to over and over again, for a nice low price. Ninety nine percent of the movies we watch, we only watch once, and don’t want to own. Even the most dedicated film buffs weren’t going to pay what was far too much for a film they might watch just a couple of times a year.
Being non recordable was a minor issue, compounded by the cost.

Reactions: no-name-123

Terry Webb

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
Not forgetting DVD recorders. I've still got a Philips model that's about the size of a breeze block. Anyone remember the Amstrad Double Decker VHS recorder with two slots? Yep, had one of those too.

Terry Webb

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
If we are including formats that are defunct, why is the compact cassette? micro cassette? compact disc? Not included? Linn said CD would not take off he was right!
This list takes in inventions that, from the outset, rightly or wrongly, failed to be successful and did not sell in large enough quantities. CDs sold in their tens of millions and although not as popular as they once were are still selling now. If Linn did say that, he was wrong.

Last edited:

crumpet

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The article seems a bit behind the times. SACD to 2007?? SACD is going through a resurgence in the classical market, as the only hi-res physical format where quality matters. It has become the de facto format for leading orchestras to release their own recordings, such as the Berlin Philharmonic, London Symphony, San Francisco Symphony, Royal Concertgebouw etc. Labels like Chandos have returned to the format. And there is a constant release of new SACD hardware (and the fact that most Sony Bluray players can play SACD also helps ). What the article should be focussing on is the demise of the DOWNLOADs market --- which has crashed to nothing --- no-one seems tp wants all those icky little files to sort anymore. Downloads have been wiped out by the convenience of streaming (albeit the latter is tacky, lo-res and offers the sound quality of 1950).

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts