Here Be Monsters

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Alright, as promised...
A couple of weeks ago, when dropping a bunch of power cables back to Music Matters, I saw these delivered in their bland cardboard boxes but never expected to see or even hear them. However, after Saturday's demo of the three floorstanders (Dynaudio Excite X32, MA GS20, and Neat Motive 1) competing as Spendor S3e replacements, I had a surprise. Barry said "do you want a quick listen downstairs before you go?" I was pressed for time by now, but couldn't stop myself.

With some trepidation I was lured down to the Music Matters dungeon from which ominous sounds were emerging. And there they were, squatting menacingly and feasting on some poor unfortunate musician - the Daleks! In the flesh, as it were, the B&W Diamond 800 speakers are scary. I don't know whether I can call them attractive, but they certainly have charisma and, in the right setting, look every bit the ‘high end' purchase of someone who has the resources to ‘splash the cash' on something that bit special. The finish on them is superb and they are BIG. You wouldn't want them in the living room of your average Barratt Home!

Sonically? There's certainly a "Wow!" factor to them. There's a room-filling presence to the sound that puts the artiste right there with you (close your eyes and either you are there in the studio, or he/she/they are in your listening room). The sense of controlled power was palpable. Detail, clarity and precision shimmered in the air; the bass was strong and tight and just about right - not over-powering or lurking in the background. The whole package seemed well-balanced. Nothing seemed forced or out of kilter - it was a real pleasure and an unexpected privilege to listen. The room was filled with music; it was loud but not unbearably so. It just seemed to wash over and around me - I am almost tempted to use the ‘awesome' word (damn, I just did!)

These beasties were hooked up to a couple of Moon mono-blocs and an Anthem AV Processor, all of which had too many zeroes after the £ for my liking. System cost (ignoring cables)? Oh, only about £45k. Worth it? Hmmmm, only if money is no object. A really great sound, but our house cost less! As much as I liked what I heard, I am realistic enough to admit to myself that diminishing returns truly do apply and believe my own system is well up the curve on its way to the same level for a fraction of the cost. So, an experience I am glad I have had, but nothing to eat away at my soul.

Ah, just one extra thing to mention - all items in the system were still ‘running in' and arguably had yet to reach optimum performance, having only been out the box for a couple of days, and awaiting the arrival of a customer wanting to make a purchasing decision. I wonder if he knew something about the Lottery I didn't?

My thanks to Barry for giving me that experience - it puts your life and your hobby into perspective, even if you can't get to the Bristol or Manchester shows!

SteveR750

Its a great experience to hear a top end system, if only to appreciate the big gao between a real instrument and reproduced. I recall hearing a LP12 / Ittok / Naim / Isobarik system playing downstairs (I was upstairs) at some shop many years ago and could have been convinced there was a live band practising there...

Tonestar1

Ed Harcourt 2002 Good Album

1c528bacd7a000f22d238110.L._AA300_.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts