admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Im 15 and looking to buy my first Hi-Fi can anyone help me out in suggesting some good makes and what i will need. Im looking to spend around £1000

Thanks

Toby

A

Anonymous

WOWWEE how you get that sort of money at that age LOL!! how about looking at some Cambridge audio stuff they have won plenty of awards amps & players? along with some monitor audio bronze speakers maybe?? I have Rotel amp & cd player along with bower & wilkins speakers I am over the moon with it! Iknow there is always better but for your first one you will be blown away im sure ;0)

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hello toby, well without knowing your taste in music here goes. cambridge azur 340 series amp and cd mordaunt short ms 914i speakers and qed cables, rega r2 record player with a ortofon 2m red cartridge. a rack to put it all on and your away. other esteemed members will be along shortly to offer their invaluable advice. good luck, gregory.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Toby,

You can get a cracking system for £1000. We'd suggest a Marantz CD6002 CD player and matching PM6002 amplifier (£200 each from Richer Sounds at the moment) with B&W 685 speakers (£385); decent stands (Atacama Aurora 6 are funky - they're see-through and you can fill them with almost anything! They're £160).

Add a Chord Crimson interconnect (£38) and some Chord Silver Screen speaker wire (£5/m) and you'll be in business. You may even be able to get a deal on some of the above list prices.

There'll be none of your budget left for a rack, but while you're saving up some extra for that, you could buy some cheap-but-effective Isonodes to sit between your CD player and amp.

Any other questions, please let us know!

A

Anonymous

Man I thought I was young. I'm 23 and you've already got half of my hifi budget!

Cambridge and NAD.. Cambridge and NAD...

I suggest spending as large a portion of your budget on the speakers as you can squeeze though, I'd also suggest making ye own interconnects and speaker cables. (that money is SO much better spent on the speakers at our budget level).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Lot easier to buy Isonodes or pick up a second-hand rack for peanuts than it is to trust in reliable second-hand electronics/speakers when it's your first purchase....

A

Anonymous

I never told you guys I was 15 did I!!! Ha Ha Ha - Audiophile at 15! It's great being able to have a intellectual conversation about hi-fi with people who actually won't go "well you are only 15, you don't know what your on about"...I'm not joking either! £3000 worth of Hi-Fi equipment at 15 he he he! Well I guess you won't be taking me seriously any more....

Anyway, glad to have someone my age on here. Right, I would go for NAD equipment personally - it has more muscle than other manafacturer's products and it has a sound which is much better suited for loud music - R&B, Rock, Metal etc. I would go for the NAD C352CT amplifier - £270 at www.superfi.co.uk .... the NAD C542 CD PLAYER for £280. at superfi....the ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGIS NEO 3 SPEAKERS - £300 at superfi, or the B&W 685 - £350 at most places. That'll give you the rest to spend on interconnects (cd player to amp) and speaker cable. Interconnect wise, I suggest the QED QENEX 1 and speaker cable wise, the QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire....

And remember to buy lots of CDs...and don't take it to uni if your going, cause It won't last!!!! Well, I'm not going to anyway!

A

Anonymous

****** me with a barge pole.

You're 15 hughes??? When I was your age I was running an old yamaha CA something or other with archaic advance speakers and my dad's old goldman turntable. You've already got a much better system than I do now! Must deliver a lot of newspapers! Good on ya mate.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gregory"]replying to other threads you precocious 15 year old[/quote]

he he he....being serious though, NAD are defiently your best bet - Cambridge systems are very, very good, however their sound is quite dry and upfront so unless you have been used to high-quality sound, it may sound wiered and harsh - or that's how I found it anyway. Certainly give them a demo though, along with ROTEL products...very good for the sort of music I am presuming you like (not classical or jazz...but each to their own!).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="raypalmer"]****** me with a barge pole.

You're 15 hughes??? When I was your age I was running an old yamaha CA something or other with archaic advance speakers and my dad's old goldman turntable. You've already got a much better system than I do now! Must deliver a lot of newspapers! Good on ya mate.[/quote]

Cheers! The way I got my money was a mixture of raiding the piggy-bank, selling the PS2, old TV, Laptop, guitar, guitar amp, scanner, cameras etc etc and I also have a job working in a music shop at the week-ends...took a long time to save up though...about four years! I managed to get the amp dirt cheap though, and I was using a 1979 JVC amplifier till two weeks ago!!! That previous post sounded a little pompus reading it now..... : (

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gregory"]watch out claire, i see a future editor here.[/quote]

Future speaker designer I wanted to be - I have a very cunning invention that might just sell.....a way of cooling voicecoils without affecting sound-quality....my lips remain sealed! However, a hi-fi editor would be awsome! Got to bribe my English teacher into giving me full marks for the World War One poetry coursework though....

A

Anonymous

No, jolly good man. It must be a boon growing up in the UK too. I grew up 8 months of the year in canada and it's a tad scant in the hifi dept. here. And when I was in the UK my money was halved in value so that didn't help any.

I'll do myself this defense though, I'd probably have a 4000 pound Naim hifi if I wasn't an avid watch collector. The Omega's call to me.

Two expensive hobbies! I'm a fool of the highest order...

A

Anonymous

I've always wanted an Omega Seamaster (is that the right name???) the one always advertised with Pierse Brosnan wearing it. Patek Phillipe make some amazing watches though!

Casio 25m water risistant for me though...

A

Anonymous

Should start a watch thread, I have a feeling all these expensive-palletted hifi people may also have quite an interesting collective watch.. collection.:S

Honestly though, back to the matter at hand, I think that hughes is right. Although I'm still going to urge you spend as much on the speakers as you possibly can, IMHO: more expensive speakers with less expensive (to a point) amplification sound better than the reverse.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]That is quite bonkers. A 15 yr old with an Arcam FMJ A32 and a Sony digital SLR.

The world has gone mad!

;)P

Nah well done, just dont get spoilt you little brat!
[/quote]

He,he,he...I was hoping none of you would notice my school clothes on that photo I took of my bedroom regarding speaker positioning...but hey, all my mates spend their money on mountain bikes...so I thought I would take a different route and I've always been into technology and music - so the mixture is hi-fi! Still can't persuede them that vinyl is better that CD though....anyway cheers guys and I hope the original poster got some ideas (NAD, CA or Rotel...not Arcam really unless you like more laid-back stuff).

A

Anonymous

Cheers Hughes, I didn't know you were 15 either. I had small suspicion you would be around 20 when I saw your bedroom pictures, but I wouldn't have guessed you were 15. I always thought I was one of the younger ones here, being only 21 but I guess I was wrong.

And I'm sorry for this slight offtopic respons

A

Anonymous

Hi, thanks for your help everyone,

Iv heard about mission floor standers ? can anyone know if they are decent

thanks agen

A

Anonymous

Mission do make some brilliant speakers - however, I always felt that Mordaunt Short speakers were very similar...just that little bit better for the price. But certainly give them a go! The M34is and M35is are most likely your best bet...infact, how big is your room and how much room do you have for speaker positioning...I wouldn't want to be recommending floor-standers if you have a tiny room like me....(I learnt from my mistake...)

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Hi Toby,

You can get a cracking system for £1000. We'd suggest a Marantz CD6002 CD player and matching PM6002 amplifier (£200 each from Richer Sounds at the moment) with B&W 685 speakers (£385); decent stands (Atacama Aurora 6 are funky - they're see-through and you can fill them with almost anything! They're £160).

Add a Chord Crimson interconnect (£38) and some Chord Silver Screen speaker wire (£5/m) and you'll be in business. You may even be able to get a deal on some of the above list prices.

There'll be none of your budget left for a rack, but while you're saving up some extra for that, you could buy some cheap-but-effective Isonodes to sit between your CD player and amp.

Any other questions, please let us know!

[/quote]

IMHO I would tend to agree with Clare's suggestions but with the exception that nasty Marantz amplifier. I reckon you'd be best going for a Nad C320BEE which is on offer at Superfi for a snip at just £149.99, leaving enough money in the pot for a nice second hand Sound Organisation stand, available at great prices through ebay!

Stevie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts