Help with synergy. I need help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

First of all, can I tell you that I have heard very few hifi's. I did go to the Bristol show last year and the only thing that really impressed me was a valve amp and speakers on the first floor.

Secondly, I like a bargain and have bought all my gear second hand. I will continue to buy my gear second hand.

The problem is that I believe that I can do better with my components.

I have arcam cd192 and technics 1210 --> a32 --> p35 --> proac tablete ref 8 sig.

The other day, I listened to a fatman 252 (through one channel as I blew the other, oops) and liked the enveloping sound it gave though there was a lot less detail than I like. This got me thinking. Could I do better if I consolidate my components. I could:

a) Sell the arcam A32 and P35 and buy a second hand valve amp. I hear proac tablete 8 sigs excel with valves.

b) Sell my speakers and buy some others that will still give me a fast sound but more enveloping and real.

c) Sell my A32 and buy another P35 and a valve pre-amp.

I can only buy components with those components which I sell. Also, I feel I can't demo in shops as I will not be buying from them, unless its second hand or ex demo.

I listen to everything from female vocals to techno (problem with valves?). Little classical. The room is about 3m by 5m and is quite hard furnished.

Please leave your opinions on the above possibilities and suggestions on replacements as I am currently going round in circles.

PS, I used to have celestion 551 into karmon kardon 620 using technics 1210 and really liked the sound but wanted smaller speakers and more detail.

PPS. Is it wrong to audition in a shop with no intention of buying? I think it is.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply igglebert. I remember you recommending a valve power amp to me a few months ago.

I was thinking of icon audio Stereo 40 or wait for a second hand stereo 60. The other possibility is an Audio Research VSI55 which I have seen second hand for £1700. If I change the amp, I will have about £1000 to spend. This money may increase at a later date but at the moment I am only earning 250 a week (teaching assistants get pants money!)

Do you think that valves will handle dance music, though I listen to dance less and less. I also have a sub that will deal with the lower frequencies.

I have also toyed with the idea of buying a second hand pair of Neat Motive 2 (sell proac and partington stands). I also considered some Revel M22's a few months back. would this work?

Bets regards

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure how they would fit your budget but Beard amps do a good job with electronic music. Other than that all I can say is go for valves definitely! Such a lovely rendition and not so much volume as size to the sound, as you turn up the music just seems to get bigger.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The ProAcs are a very fast speaker, very musical but they are small and you don't get the same bass extension as you do with floorstanders. I use mine in the kitchen but floorstanders in the living room for late night listening.

Valves are softer on the whoile, a little warmer, but Arcams are quite warm anyway. I used to have a 192 and for an Arcam that is quite hard.

I would be tempted to buy a pair of floorstanders, but I would imagine you will find most a little slower than the ProAcs. It all depends what you want. Going for other separates like Cyrus for instance would take you further away. I had a cd92 before and that was much softer than the 192.

A

Anonymous

Buy a valve preamp, a thick rug and heavy curtains!!!

Seriously a valve pre can be a very cheap way of adding both resolution and warmth at the same time. A number are also quite transistor-like in character so not a million miles away from what you've got but will be 'rounder' and more solid in presentation. Also tube-rolling will allow you to tune the sound even further to your taste (some valve pre's are more responsive to this than others).

I have the Eastern Electric Minimax, a giant killer if ever there was one, and listen to all manner of musical genres with equal pleasure, so I would not have any fears with techno, dance, hip hop etc .

Also I was serious about the soft furnishings!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

crimsondonkey, a rug and some curtains would be lovely but as I live with my girlfriend this cannot be done. The Minimax looks interesting too. would this be ok with the P35 as power amp?

Also, Joel, the same goes for floorstanders. I wish the other half could hear what I hear and sacrifice a bit of decor matching for aural bliss!

I will be looking out for an Icon Audio stereo 40 or 60. I am still toying with the idea of the VSi55 but I have also found an Eastern Electric M520. This amp seems to get good reviews. Buying this amp will leave enough money to get a half decent phono stage.

The M520 is only 25 Watts. Will this be enough to drive the proacs? 86dB 8 ohms? I listen at low to moderate levels.

Thanks again.

Lee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts