HELP with speakers!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

This is my first post so I hope I get this right.

My Mum and Dad have just bought me a Sony STR-DH810 and I have inherited some speakers (2 left, 2 right, 1 center and a sub), I'm having a problem with a few things though.

The connection on the back of the AV unit (a single RCA hole) doesn't match my sub which has a black and a red connection for speaker wires - what's the best way to connect them or will I have to buy a new sub, well Mum and Dad!!

And how do I connect the speakers for 5.1 rather than 7.1, I've read Sony's booklet and can't grasp what they're saying.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

No it has no mains lead. Just the two speaker wire connections.

A

Anonymous

Hi elford,

Unfortunately it sounds like your subwoofer is passive, as the post above says; just check it has a power lead, but to be honest even if it does it won't work due to not having a single rca out.

With regards to setting up the speakers this is easy peasy! Connect your center speaker and front speakers to their respective inputs and the rears will go into the "surround" inputs. Ignore the other two speakers inputs to the lower left. They are for surround backs (7.1) and won't be needed until you fancy an upgrade.

Once all that is connected just plug in the set-up mic and follow the on screen instructions.

If you need any help with what sub to buy then pop up another post with your room size and speaker sizes and I'm sure there will be plenty of recommendations!

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

I find the back speakers sound best when situated on the left and right walls to the viewer facing inwards to the ear and upto 2.5m in height

I also think that the front Left and Right speakers give a better surround experience if their not too close. minimum of 1m (i have mine about 1.8m eirther sid eof the Centre

I actually had same issue with a subwoofer i received being passive and not active (mains powered)

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your help.

I'll try and hook up the speakers tonight and will be on the look out for a cheap Sub just for now until I can afford some new speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts