help with speakers for Cyrus Prev vs2/PSXR/8 power/PSXR - speakers have to go on bookshelves - no choice!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi.

I recently started to build my first decent system, whilst working overseas - i intended to buy the new CD xt SE and was thinking about WB Square One or two. I now have to move back to UK and the problem is that i cannot use stands or floor standers. I have to put the speakers on bookshelves on either side of the chimney.....room about 20ft by 20ft.

My question is - what speakers would be the least worst option for me - and how best to prevent set up the speakers...squash balls?

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Spendor SA1. If they are in your budget. I personally own 805S which are what id recommend but not on a shelf no way. When i had my old 685s on a shelf (again no choice) i used blobs of bluetak in each corner. Worked ok.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Actually just read the size of the room and its a rather large one. Maybe too large for the SA1s. So thats me done. Igglebert actually owns these so maybe he can be more helpful. Good luck!

Dr Beat

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Not an expert here, but just wondering how you narrowed down to the BW 805s? Ever considered Dynaudio Focus 110? They are about the same size as the 805s.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I didnt. I own 805S my self but would not recommend anyone to shove them on a shelf. There are speakers that will do a better job on a shelf and also cheaper. I mentioned the SA1 but not sure if they are too small for the fellows room. Hope that helps :)

A

Anonymous

I would not put the Dynaudios near a rear wall or shelf! You will likely get far too much bass. Square 1 are designed to go up against a wall so they would be the logical choice.

jules.

A

Anonymous

Good call on the SA1s. They seem to work well anywhere I put them!

A

Anonymous

niguel:
Hi.

I recently started to build my first decent system, whilst working overseas - i intended to buy the new CD xt SE and was thinking about WB Square One or two. I now have to move back to UK and the problem is that i cannot use stands or floor standers. I have to put the speakers on bookshelves on either side of the chimney.....room about 20ft by 20ft.

My question is - what speakers would be the least worst option for me - and how best to prevent set up the speakers...squash balls?
Try the Dali Mentor 1's or 2's. They don't try and produce too much bass and should work well with the Cyrus. Dynaudio is something you could consider, as long as you use the bungs to block the reflex ports. I'd seriously audition the Square Ones with the Cyrus if you're thinking of them. It's not a match I'd recommend buying blind. It's an expensive mistake to make. Two's do sound much better, but I don't think your 8 Power is going to do them justice. An X-Power minimum, but preferably Mono X's for those.

A

Anonymous

Cheers to you guys for the feedback. I am flying back tomorrow so plenty of leads to follow.someone mentioned PMC to me...any thoughts on this? Also I am on a bit of a learning curve and was wondering about the case for the DAC..I was told this is a big improvement both for the CD player but especially for an ipod..any thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts