Help with my Turntable set-up

Sully93

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I recently got into vinyl collecting and I bought an ion audio max lp which isn't too bad a player to begin with.

However I'm having trouble with my set-up to my amplifier and speakers.

The turntable has a phono rca output, so I've connected it to my pioneer a10 amp with a rca stereo mm cable, is that the problem? Should it be a phono rca cable instead?

The speakers are polk tsx100b which are hooked up to the amp.

I'm getting a bad muffle sound.

Appreciate I'm very new to this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Liam

Sully93 said:
Hi everyone,

I recently got into vinyl collecting and I bought an ion audio max lp which isn't too bad a player to begin with.

However I'm having trouble with my set-up to my amplifier and speakers.

The turntable has a phono rca output, so I've connected it to my pioneer a10 amp with a rca stereo mm cable, is that the problem? Should it be a phono rca cable instead?

The speakers are polk tsx100b which are hooked up to the amp.

I'm getting a bad muffle sound.

Appreciate I'm very new to this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Liam

I don't know your turntable but from photos you need a pair of phono cables to the phono in sockets on the back of your A10. However, a word of warning, I am not sure if the audio out from turntable has already been preamplified so it is best you try by first connecting those two cables to the Aux input on the amp.

If this method results in very quiet sound the revert to connecting them to the Phono In sockets instead.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I think you need to connect the phono leads to the Aux sockets on your amplifier. I believe your turntable has a built in pre-amp so if you connect it to the phono you are amplifying the signal too much for your amp to handle.

AntAxon said:
I think you need to connect the phono leads to the Aux sockets on your amplifier. I believe your turntable has a built in pre-amp so if you connect it to the phono you are amplifying the signal too much for your amp to handle.

That's my thoughts as well although I couldn't find any detail as to whether there was a preamp and whether or not it was switchable.

Try the Aux sockets first to be safe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts