Help with LG HT953TV - Missing DVD Player

azza16

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I've just bought an LG HT953TV home theatre system, but without the dvd player or remote. I cannot get the speakers to work even though the sub has it's own power and all the inputs bar HDMI. I can't tell wether the sub is even receiving power when plugged in (it has a fan but it does not turn, maybe it should only turn when audio is going in?). I have ordered a remote, but don't think this will help as I suspect the receiver for the remote is the dvd player.

Tried connecting tv through optical, no joy

My questions are

a) Should the speakers work without the DVD player, If anyone owns this system and could disconnect the dvd player to test I would be grateful.

b) if I need to buy the DVD player, any suggestions where, as I have tried LG, but to no avail. Also tried Connect Dist LTD (LG parts Supplier) to no avail.

c) Richer sounds suggested I buy an AV receiver plus sub (Pioneer VSX322 receiver £129, Tannoy sfx sub £100) any thoughts on quality/value for money appreciated.

many thanks

Neil

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi Neil / azza16

When you say 'without the dvd player or remote' do you mean without the main unit, just the speakers? Where are you connecting the TV optical?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
As far as I can remember, you need the DVD player to go with the rest of the system as it has a dedicated cable to link it to the subwoofer (and hence the other speakers). If LG can't sell you one, not sure who else would. Don't think it will necessarily work with a separate AV amp.

azza16

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes, without the main unit, but the sub has connections in the back, including optical, so i connected the tv to this, just like i do with my soundbar, but to no avail

Thanks for the reply

azza16

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your help, i fear you are right, but if i buy an av receiver and a sub I think this will have to do.

cheers

neil

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You need the main player/control unit to power up the sub (and thus the amps for the other speakers), select inputs, adjust volume and so on.

You'll also struggle to use the speakers from this system with a conventional AV receiver, as they have 4ohm nominal impedance whereas most receivers prefer speakers with higher impedance figures, and may struggle or even cut out when used with the LG speakers.

These systems are really designed to be used as an all-in-one set-up, and the results when mixing and matching with the component parts are pretty unpredicatble.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts